Author Topic: Three Things  (Read 2230 times)

awilltx

Three Things
« on: May 21, 2017, 09:17:40 PM »
Greetings. It has been a while since I've posted much on here, but life has a way of doing that to the working class. So, here are a few catch-up items:

1. There is a new Silicon Labs USB driver available. Link page is here: http://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers The new version is 4.11.0 and I have downloaded and used it for 3+ days now with no problems.

2. I am also running the latest macOS version 10.12.5 and the latest iOS version 10.3.2. I have not had any noticeable problems with WeatherCat or the iPhone or iPad apps.

3. I changed web hosts for my site to a2 Hosting and like them very much. They provide secure FTP (SFTP), secure SSH, free SSL certificates from Let's Encrypt and the ability to choose php versions up to the latest v7.x. And, there has been no downtime. If you're thinking about changing, there is a link on my site and I do get a referral. I'm on the cheapest plan ($3.92/mo) for the first year and $7.99/mo after.

That's it for now. Good luck with everything,

Alan

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Could it be? Official support for Sierra? (Re: Three Things)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 11:59:15 PM »
Dear Alan and WeatherCat "sys-admins", . . . .

1. There is a new Silicon Labs USB driver available. Link page is here: http://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers The new version is 4.11.0 and I have downloaded and used it for 3+ days now with no problems.

Yes but you didn't mention the most amazing part.  The release notes now reads on the topic of which versions of OS X (MacOS) are supported (and I quote):

This release includes the Macintosh OSX driver for 64 bit Intel Macintosh computers running MacOS X 10.7 or greater.

Of course, a very detail-oriented reader might be deeply concerned since, strictly speaking, there isn't any Macintosh operating system named: "MacOS X".  However, since any reasonable person will conclude this was a bit of creative splicing and that therefore, at last, you really can connect your Davis station to your Mac without any fear!  [biggrin]

Now if I could just find the time to upgrade the software I need to do before upgrading to Sierra!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

TechnoMonkey

• Strong Breeze
    • EW9323
    • KTXARANS6
    • TechnoMonkeys Weather
  • Station Details: La Crosse WS-2315 / High Sierra Server / Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8GB Ram / OS 120GB SSD / Home Folder 500GB FireWire / DATA 8TB RAID 5 / 1TB TIME CAPSULE
Re: Three Things
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 11:35:51 AM »
3. I changed web hosts for my site to a2 Hosting and like them very much. They provide secure FTP (SFTP), secure SSH, free SSL certificates from Let's Encrypt and the ability to choose php versions up to the latest v7.x. And, there has been no downtime. If you're thinking about changing, there is a link on my site and I do get a referral. I'm on the cheapest plan ($3.92/mo) for the first year and $7.99/mo after.

That looks pretty good. I especially like the free SSL. I have an online store along with my weather.  If I go that route, I will definitely use your referral link.

awilltx

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 11:56:48 AM »
... I will definitely use your referral link.

Thanks. I am still enjoying them so far.

Alan

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 06:51:15 PM »
Does a2 also provide automatic SSL renewal?

I think LE certs are only good for 90 days. A cron job could automate renewals if a2 allows installing a sh file. Most hosting providers don't allow that kind of access to their servers. Perhaps more will be creating 'sandboxes' that would allow things like this! [rockon]

Another pus for a2 is that it is NOT an EIG brand. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and my options open while seeing no major disruptions at Hostgator... [rolleyes2]

a2 is in this list of non-EIG brands (scroll down to very near the bottom of the page [command-down arrow].
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

awilltx

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 08:24:59 PM »
Does a2 also provide automatic SSL renewal?

Yes, every 90 days at least, sometimes sooner.

Alan