WeatherCat > WeatherCat Feature Requests

Notification when external IP address changes

(1/2) > >>

The Grand Poohbah:
WeatherCat mobile users access their WeatherCat server by using the external (aka public) IP address. If the external IP address is a dynamic IP address, it can change. It would be nice if WeatherCat could monitor the external IP address and send a text when it changes. The text would include the new IP address. This would be a preference item.

Blicj11:
Yes. This would be a very helpful addition.

David:
Many routers have this functionality and provide a dynamic DNS (DDNS) that you can point your WeatherCat clients to permanently. If your router won't perform this for you, you can register for free with no-ip for your own DDNS, download their daemon and run it on your computer for free. The daemon will check your public IP and update the DDNS on a regular basis.

The Grand Poohbah:

--- Quote from: David on April 24, 2019, 01:13:26 PM ---Many routers have this functionality and provide a dynamic DNS (DDNS) that you can point your WeatherCat clients to permanently. If your router won't perform this for you, you can register for free with no-ip for your own DDNS, download their daemon and run it on your computer for free. The daemon will check your public IP and update the DDNS on a regular basis.

--- End quote ---

It's that "dynamic DNS" (IP Address) that I need to find out. It's easy to get it when I'm connected to the router, but when I'm away, it's impossible unless the computer notifies me. Hence my feature request.

All the services that provide dynamic name service charge for it. DYN is one example. They recently raised their annual fee to 55USD. Too much.

David:
NO-IP is free. You just have to login once a month to verify you're still paying attention, but it's completely free.

Routers (Mikrotik, Asus, even Hikvision IP cameras, among others) along with noip.com provide you with a static URL (granted they are not pretty) and they constantly update it with your current public IP address provided by your ISP. I use them for getting back to my home network and never have to worry about my public IP address changing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-IP

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version