Author Topic: Some drought relief  (Read 2219 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Some drought relief
« on: May 20, 2015, 12:01:10 AM »
Here in the mountains of Northern Utah, we have received some very welcome relief from the serious drought in the western US. We have received 3.16 inches (80.2 mm) of rain this month, in a series of small storms over the past two weeks. We have had rain on 14 of the last 19 days. It is awesome and an answer to prayer!
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Wishing for the same. (Re: Some drought relief)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 09:25:28 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat drought sufferers,

Here in the mountains of Northern Utah, we have received some very welcome relief from the serious drought in the western US. We have received 3.16 inches (80.2 mm) of rain this month, in a series of small storms over the past two weeks. We have had rain on 14 of the last 19 days. It is awesome and an answer to prayer!

Congratulations on the rain.  The weather in California has been anything but the normal sunny conditions you would expect for May.  Alas, the cool cloudy weather hasn't brought much in the way of rain.  At Canebas weather station the total for May is a negligible 0.05".  We are already 1/3" inch behind the norm for a normal May.  The cool weather is reducing the stress on the plants, but that's about it.  In the meantime, the cold is difficult for the animals that have to work that much harder to keep warm.

Oh well, . . . . Edouard

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on a MacMini (2009) Mac OS 10.11.6
Re: Some drought relief
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 10:22:30 PM »
I enjoy reading the first hand reports on regional weather - thanks, you all. American Meteorological Society published awhile back a neat book that was all first hand reports of weather events. It is all too easy to get caught up in the data and phenomenon and forget the personal impact weather can have.

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro Plus via Keyspan Serial/USB adapator running on 10.9.4
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 04:24:36 AM »
2.48" of precipitation for May in central mtns of Colorado [snow] and 5.7" of snow.  Likely will be my wettest May.  I was talking to my Dad and they have received over 6" of rain in the last week near Colorado Springs.  Some places on the eastern slope of Colorado are likely over 10" of precipitation for the month.  I am loving El Nino  [cold1] [thunder]

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 04:29:02 PM »
I know I have nothing to complain about when I look at California's situation but May is shaping up to be the driest in recent memory in my area. We've barely broken the 1/2 inch mark on rainfall while the soil evaporation is well over three inches. I don't remember having to consistently water my lawn and flower beds this early in the season.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 06:54:14 PM »
Around here, the weather is most important to people complaining about their favorite, pointless, mindless TV show being preempted by the over-ancious TV weathermen, or about not having enough Sunshine to enjoy the BBQ/Music festivals by the Mighty Muddy. Of course, I do plenty of complaining when the Summer temps and the humidity levels are both around 100!! [blush] [sweat2]

Weather is actually more important to the farmers, of course, and that is still the major economic engine in the Mid-South. They got delayed in April when over an inch made access to many fields impossible in the last few days of the month. Most had a good opportunity to finish planting during the first two weeks of May. Now they've had some good, wide-spread rains to get things growing, maybe a bit too much in some areas: 3.5 inches in the last week with more forecast for next.

I hope to use the station to make less use of city water on the grass and shrubs now that I have the Davis info. We have four women in the house, so we already make a "splash" in water usage! [lol]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system