Author Topic: New WC installation stuck on ?waiting for wC to become ready?  (Read 4320 times)

cabut

• Gentle Breeze
    • kaztubac1
  • Station Details: VP2 Mac Mini running 10.11.6
New WC installation stuck on ?waiting for wC to become ready?
« on: August 23, 2018, 07:23:16 PM »
Hi,

New installation of WC. Stuck on ?waiting for weather data to become ready.?
Where should I look to fix the problem?

Thanks,
Cabut

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear Cabut and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

New installation of WC. Stuck on ?waiting for weather data to become ready.?
Where should I look to fix the problem?

I'm assuming this is with your new Davis Vantage Pro-2 station - correct?  If I recall correctly, you bought the Davis software to get a data logger.  You can use that software to help isolate the problem.  See if WeatherLink can successfully connect to your station.  If it can't then the problem is with your data logger.  If not, it could be something else like having an outdated driver for WeatherCat to use.  We have a list of troubleshooting tips including where to get the latest drivers for your Mac on this WeatherCat Wiki page:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=Davis

Let us know what you discover.

Cheers, Edouard

cabut

• Gentle Breeze
    • kaztubac1
Re: New WC installation stuck on ?waiting for wC to become ready?
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 11:52:48 PM »
Hi Edouard,

Thanks for your reply.
WeatherLink connects with my station console.
In preparation for the WeatherLink 6.0 installation I downloaded the drivers (SiLabsUSBDriverDisk.dmg)  recommended on this site.
The drivers would not let me connect to the console so I downloaded the drivers from the
Weatherlink6.0 CD which are called SLAB_USBtoUART.
Both were installed, perhaps there is a conflict.

Do you happen to know where these drivers can be found on the Mac?

Cabut

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 02:32:36 AM »
Easiest way to locate 'unusual' items like drivers:
    1. Hold the option key down and click the black Apple icon 9extreme left-hand end of the Menu bar
    2. Select the "System Information..." item.
    3. Close the "Hardware" and the "Network" items in the window that opens
    4. Select the "Extensions" item in the "Software" list
    5. When the list appears in the larger, right-hand section of the window, scroll to the items that start with "SiLabs..." (you may have more than one)
You can now see the one that is loaded (there will be "Yes" in the cleverly named "Loaded" column). 5.0.4 is the latest, I think.
In the bottom part of the window is more info on that items than you ever want to know! However, the exact location of the item is beside another clever label called "Location:" (those Apple guys are genius', right! ;P!). The location should start with "/Library/Extensions/..." That is the main Library, not your home Library nor the System Library. ;)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

cabut

• Gentle Breeze
    • kaztubac1
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 05:17:53 AM »
Hi Xair,

Fabulous directions, thank you!

I found three from SiLabs, how do I know which one to keep?
See pic.

Cabut

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 04:57:46 PM »
If using latest WC and macOS X software, I'd suggest the newest version of the driver. It would appear to me that the two old versions you have are duplicates; same version and install dates. I actually have two SiLab drivers, but only one (the new one) shows as 'Loaded'. ???

If you want to remove (unload) an extension, you can use a couple of methods. However, make absolutely sure you have found/identified the correct file, in this case, it's the two older versions. But the first step is to make a copy of the file. You should be able to option-drag it to your Desktop. Once you have a copy, you can always return it to the correct location if you need to.

DO NOT PUT THE REMOVED EXTENSION IN THE TRASH! The Trash is NOT a storage location. :)

You can remove the file from the /Library/Extension using Terminal. Have you ever used Terminal?

cabut

• Gentle Breeze
    • kaztubac1
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 05:51:29 PM »
Thanks Xair, I think I may have stumbled upon the problem.

It seems the two older versions of the SiLabs driver are in HD/System/Library/Extensions and the new version is in HD/Library/Extensions/
Where should the newer driver live?

Yes, I have installed the latest version of WC 3.01.My Late 2009 Mac mini is running El Capitan.
I have used terminal on occasion.

The first method of removal would be to duplicate the files to the desktop then trash the files in /Library/Extensions is that correct?
What is the process for removing these files using terminal?

And lastly, if the new version, 5.05 is the correct version, can I move it to HD/System/Library/Extensions without fear😊?

Thanks,
Cabut

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 09:48:10 PM »
First, there is another choice than removal, there is a safer, in my opinion, Terminal command called 'kextunload', which is exactly what needs to be done. :)

Check the other two drivers and let us know where they are located. If you are lucky, the latest version may already be in the correct location and all you need to do is unload the one in the /System/Library. One command instead of several other steps. ThU32:-)

So, just report the locations of the other two drivers; the second old version and the one new version. [computer]

cabut

• Gentle Breeze
    • kaztubac1
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 10:32:18 PM »
Ok, here are the locations in screen grabs:

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 11:28:16 PM »
Thanks. Looks like the new one is in the wrong place. Let's do the corrections one at a time.

Typing in Terminal is very exacting, most mistakes provide no warnings. I will type the commands that will unload the extension old in the correct location. Then we will tackle moving the new one to the correct location.

In case you'd like to review the commands, here's a link that explains them.

First, be aware that I cannot actually issue the following Terminal command since I don't have any file in the /Library/Extensions/ location, on this Mac, that I can 'mess' with. Use the following at your own discretion. Even wait for confirmation from others here. ;)
Here is the Terminal command that should unload the old SiLab driver: sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/SiLabsUSBDriver.kext Double-check the text in blue. The "sudo" part tells Terminal that you have temporary permissions to make changes. The rest of the text tells the System exactly what you want to do: Unload the SiLabsUSBDriver.text file located in the Extensions directory of the main Library directory.

Be aware that unloading is not the same as removing, it may not prevent the extension from reloading on the next computer startup. Using this unload command successfully should encourage you in your ability to affect the Mac. You can confirm that the extension has been unloaded by performing another "System Information..." check. Let me know what your results are.  :)

cabut

• Gentle Breeze
    • kaztubac1
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 11:38:02 PM »
Hi Xair,

The second  link is broken...

I tried to restart in recovery mode, but since I don?t have a monitor for the Mac mini and i?m using screen sharing it it will not connect.
Perhaps I should forgo using Terminal and remove the two manually, then move the latest driver into its proper place. I have made copies of the two older drivers. They are on my desktop.
So what do you suggest from here?

Cabut

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2018, 12:15:57 AM »
I think I was typing (and being distracted by family!) while you were working. It appears I also hit the 'Save' button before I had completed editing my prior post. I don't think Recovery mode will be needed, anyway.

Please re-read my post #9 for the process. And thanks for reminding me that you are using Screen Sharing! [banghead]

cabut

• Gentle Breeze
    • kaztubac1
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2018, 01:01:50 AM »
Hi Xair,

Thanks for all your help!

I looked at #9 and I did not see any instructions to remove drivers manually without Terminal.

So I made copies of the two old drivers , trashed the two,and tried to move the new driver to HD/System/System/Library/Extentions. Got a message saying basically you have to install it, moving it was not an option.

No change in launching WC. It will not load.

Right now, I am at an impasse.

Cabut

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2018, 01:27:44 AM »
OK, you've got two files on the Desktop and the latest file in the wrong place. Is that correct?

I'd suggest moving the last one out of the System/Library/Extensions directory also. Then find the original download or re-download it, if needed. Then try the 'normal' install method; double-clicking the extension. The OS is what actually "loads" them, normally. At any rate, simply double-clicking the actual extension should automagically install the driver correctly. [tup]

cabut

• Gentle Breeze
    • kaztubac1
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2018, 01:38:41 AM »
Yes, I trashed the two old drivers making copies first.. The new  driver works fine communicating with the Davis console, not WC.

Should I just trash the new driver as I did the other two. I assume I should empty the trash?

Cabu