Author Topic: Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless battery  (Read 9115 times)

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
    • Coastal Port Maitland, Nova Scotia, Canada
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on Mac Studio running Ventura (Mac OS 13) and WeatherCat 3
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless battery
« on: February 11, 2017, 01:01:16 PM »
Hi all,
Interesting development yesterday, my Davis Vantage Pro 2 station is wireless, which is super except it relies on a solar power panel to transmit to the console in the house, backed up by a ?supercapacitor? (?supercap?) component that gives the power at night if charged by the solar panel; and a backup lithium battery. It's been very cold and not very sunny for quite a spell here in Coastal Nova Scotia, so I wasn't surprised when my 2 year old battery started giving me "low battery" readings yesterday. Last night at about 8 pm it gave out completely, and I had to go out in the -13, windchill -18, conditions and get to my sensor and replace the battery! Note to self, the batteries are supposed to last 2 years (Davis claims they can work without the ISS' solar panel for 6-9 months!), maybe every other year in the summer change the thing, like when it's nice and warm!
Anyway - it's all back up and running, with no battery warnings, and a stronger signal!
Bill

http://www.billcurry.ca/weather

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
Re: Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless battery
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 06:24:09 PM »
many things can cause the battery to crap out.  extreme cold, extreme heat, bad battery , sorter life than expected.   I have had only 2 times the battery on the console ratted out the battery on the ISS.   

I buy the CR123A in bulk.  I have a number of items that use them.   So I have decided that my ISS, the Soil units which sit outside get their batteries changed twice a year. It works for me.  I  change them in late May (about tomato planting time here) and around the end of October.   I also do a cleaning of the ISS, check the rain cone for debris, the rain pan for crud that got through the debris screens (I have the standard that comes with the Davis and then a sink strainer as well.)

I also do a check and cleaning interior of the ISS, checking the plugs for potential trouble and if anything crawled in the ISS because of an old plug.    Check the wires.  Yeah it is a lot of work that takes more time than it should, but then again I don't want to go out on a clear cold night in Iowa or ice storm, or blizzard to do that.

I always check the expiration date of the batteries and do not buy them local.   
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
    • Coastal Port Maitland, Nova Scotia, Canada
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on Mac Studio running Ventura (Mac OS 13) and WeatherCat 3
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 10:35:02 PM »
Thanks for that info, Weatheraardvark-
I guess I'll add an annual battery switch to my routine.
I also get CR123's at a good price as in my photography business there are a number of electronics that use that battery. I just hadn't realized that the ISS would require a refresh routinely. Now I know!
Cheers,

Bill

http://www.billcurry.ca/weather

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Maintenance checklist (Re: Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless battery)
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 10:43:40 PM »
Dear Bill, Weatheraardvark, and WeatherCat station caregivers,

I guess I'll add an annual battery switch to my routine.

Like Weatheraardvark, I make a point of inspecting my station at be beginning of Autumn so it is ready for Winter.  WeatherCat can email you a reminder with a maintenance checklist.  You'll find it in the misc2 pane of the WeatherCat Preferences and it defaults to this list that has been parked on the WeatherCat Wiki:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=Station_Maintenance

I try to also inspect the station in the Spring to look if there is any substantial maintenance that needs to be done during good weather (stuff like repainting.)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 11:27:14 PM »
My first battery in my wireless ISS lasted 7 years. I have not had one last a year since then. My current battery has been in use for 7 months now. Annual replacement at a time and in conditions of your choosing seems reasonable to me.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Is new ISS board behaving? (Was: Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless battery)
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 11:11:43 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat station caregivers,

My first battery in my wireless ISS lasted 7 years.

It is clear that the 123 batteries should last a very long time especially if your station has plenty of sunshine most of the year.  I suppose someone could make an extra effort to change the battery only once every other year or even less.  Somehow I can't rationalize the extra hassle to avoid using one battery every other year.

I have not had one last a year since then. My current battery has been in use for 7 months now.

This is the new ISS circuit board isn't it?  Are you seeing any evidence of accelerated battery use on this new board?  I sure hope that problem is behind you!

Cheers, Edouard

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 11:42:34 PM »
I change mine because I have hoofed out side to replace one in the snow up to my hiney, wind blowing   [freeze]and you hate to open the ISS to let all that moisture in.   I pay $1.50 per battery from Battery Junction here in the US.  NOw what other countries have may be a totally different issue.  I would rather be over cautious than sorry.

Again as always, you do whatever floats your boat.
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Is new ISS board behaving? (Was: Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless battery)
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 03:17:27 PM »
This is the new ISS circuit board isn't it?  Are you seeing any evidence of accelerated battery use on this new board?  I sure hope that problem is behind you!

Thanks for remembering. My current battery is now in it's 10th month so I am keeping my fingers crossed that the third wireless circuit board is the correct solution.

I too have changed a battery during a blizzard so I'm back in the annual change-out club.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 10:34:04 PM »
you do whatever floats your boat.
While poetic, you're showing your age, A. V.! The phrase is now, 'whatever refreshes your bits'! No poetic or thought-provoking value at all.  [rolleyes2] [banghead] cmu:-)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system