Author Topic: how to setup a 2nd weather station  (Read 2355 times)

schwartzbb

• Calm
    • Ozello Florida Weather
  • Station Details: davis vantage pro2 -usb-MacBook Pro osx10.7.3-WeatherCat
how to setup a 2nd weather station
« on: July 13, 2012, 02:50:58 PM »
Hi All

I am a snow bird. Spend Oct to May in Florida, using a Davis Vantage Pro2 with Weather Cat (have used this and LWC for years). When I am gone, the weather station logs the data and then when I return, it downloads and adds it to the historical data.  No probems.
Now, at my second location, in the Colorado mountains from June to Sept I am installing a Davis Vantage Vue and would like to use Weather Cat.

How do I set it up so it has 2 distinct data bases for the 2 locations/weather stations?? They will NOT be used at the same time but I want to preserve both sets of data. My plan is, when one is active the other is logging data until I return to that location and place it online.

Thanks for your help!!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Two possible tricks (Re: 2nd weather station)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 09:45:12 PM »
Dear schwartzbb and WeatherCat fans,

First welcome to the WeatherCat forum!!

How do I set it up so it has 2 distinct data bases for the 2 locations/weather stations?? They will NOT be used at the same time but I want to preserve both sets of data. My plan is, when one is active the other is logging data until I return to that location and place it online.

It is an unusual problem, but you can deal with this in one of two ways.

You don't explain how the Mac that is connected to the weather station is used.  Is this a dedicated computer or general purpose?  If it is dedicated to WeatherCat then by far the easiest way to handle this is to create two different OS-X users: one for Florida and one for Colorado.  WeatherCat stores its files in the users home account subfolders.  So if you login into the Florida account and then start WeatherCat, it will store the data there.  When you move to Colorado, then switch to the Colorado account and launch WeatherCat from there.  Each database remains separate.

If the computer is used generally, the same trick will work, but is obviously less convenient.  There is an alternative strategy that is more work, but might be more convenient in this case.  On page 163 of the WeatherCat manual is a list of folders that needs to be removed in order to uninstall WeatherCat.  If instead of removing these files, you simply moved the data and preference files (effectively archive them) then WeatherCat would start "fresh."  The important folders are these:

• ~/Library/WeatherCatData
  • ~/Library/Application Support/WeatherCatCustomWeb
  • ~/Library/Application Support/WeatherCatMedia
  • ~/Library/Application Support/WeatherCatTemp
  • ~/Library/Application Support/WeatherCatWeb
  • ~/Library/Preferences/com.trixology.weathercat.plist

You could create a folder for Florida and move the files there while in Colorado and then have an analogous folder for Colorado when in Florida.  Before starting WeatherCat at the new location, simply move the files for that location into their "expected" location for WeatherCat.  Then WeatherCat would immediately pickup where it left off the previous season.

It is probably possible to use some automation tool to insure all this is done, but the list is small enough that it can be easily managed by hand.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

schwartzbb

• Calm
    • Ozello Florida Weather
  • Station Details: davis vantage pro2 -usb-MacBook Pro osx10.7.3-WeatherCat
Re: how to setup a 2nd weather station
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 12:46:35 AM »
HI

Thanks for the help. I have it up and running and have stored all my other weather site data files and will simply switch the files when I return to the other location.