Author Topic: The Wind Gust Updates  (Read 3230 times)

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
The Wind Gust Updates
« on: May 05, 2016, 12:01:42 AM »
Dear WeatherCat iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV Fans,

The latest updates to WeatherCat for iPhone, WeatherCat for iPad, and WeatherCat for Apple TV are in the App Store. The major change is the addition of "wind gust". This is the "WindGust" that is the current 15-minute wind gust, not the 10-minute wind gust described in the WeatherCat User Manual 2.0. There are other internal changes, mostly to keep up with Apple's incessant modifications as they migrate to iOS 8 and 9. For example, I have learned to embrace Apple's "storyboards" as a way to create and manage the user interface for all three devices. I also discovered and fixed two cosmetic bugs. They are embarrassing, but do no harm other than to possibly confuse the user. (Hint - one bug in iPad Settings and a different bug in Apple TV indicator Options.)

The tricky part of this update was adding a new indicator (wind gust) without disturbing your current layouts. Since WeatherCat for all three devices allows you to move things around to your heart's content, I did not want to unravel your personalized layouts when adding a new indicator. It also lays the groundwork in case a future release of WeatherCat for Mac OS X embraces NSPropertyListSerialization of data sent to clients.

For the record, here are the new versions:

WeatherCat for iPhone v1.4 (160426)
WeatherCat for iPad v2.1 (160502)
WeatherCat for Apple TV v1.1 (160503)

Hope you like the updates. Do forget to give the apps a 5-star review in the App Store and send me your comments in a reply to this post.

--grand

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
Re: The Wind Gust Updates
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 10:12:13 AM »
Much appreciated.  [tup]

Reinhard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks Grand! (Re: The Wind Gust Updates)
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 11:50:35 PM »
Dear Grand and WeatherCat iOS fans,

Thanks for the updates!  [tup]

I'm running ragged once more but as soon as I get a break I'll download them and take them out for a test-drive!

Thanks for all your efforts to give the WeatherCat community a way to get all our Weather info on our iOS devices!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: The Wind Gust Updates
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 12:16:49 AM »
I have upgraded my iPhone app and the change is much appreciated. I will get to the iPad update when I get home. I am on the road and decided to pack my MacBook Air this time and leave the iPad home. Also, thank you for your work to keep from messing up the current screen layouts. This is particularly crucial in the iPad app.
Blick