Author Topic: Leveling the rain gauge mounted on a pole.  (Read 1523 times)

cabut

• Gentle Breeze
    • kaztubac1
  • Station Details: VP2 Mac Mini running 10.11.6
Leveling the rain gauge mounted on a pole.
« on: August 22, 2018, 06:51:38 PM »
Hi,

I have to mount my Vantage Pro 2 on a pole on my flat roof. I checked level on the rain gauge and it?s off a bit. The pole checks as level. Has anyone encountered this problem?  What have you done to correct it? 

Cabut

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Leveling the rain gauge mounted on a pole.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 07:28:51 PM »
Assuming you are using "C" (or "U") bolts, the best you can do is make sure the pole is exactly vertical. I am also assuming the pole is vertical not "level". ;)

If the pole is actually "level" or horizontal, you might use a sturdy, weather-proof board or (non-magnetic) metal sheet for mounting the VP2. Then mount the board/sheet vertically on the pole with "C" or "U" bolts.

I believe the recommended height of the rain collector ~5 feet (mine is ~7'). It should also have lots of "sky" around it to prevent trees or buildings from blocking blowing rain/snow. See figure 10 at this CWOP pdf. Or this WeatherUnderground page.

In any event, it is very important to check the collector as often as practical. The total rain amount may not be affected by debris but the rain rate can be drastically off. I found a recent storm actually blew the internal debris catcher off its seat and was allowing lots of small leaves and plant blooms to cover the funnel outlet. [banghead]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

cabut

• Gentle Breeze
    • kaztubac1
  • Station Details: VP2 Mac Mini running 10.11.6
Re: Leveling the rain gauge mounted on a pole.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 10:05:52 PM »
I was able to adjust the vertically of the pole with some minor adjustments, thanks. I thought there might be some other means of  adjusting level built into the iss rain bucket assembly itself, but there is not. Thank you for the other tips, Xair!

Cabut