Author Topic: Ya' KNOW y'are in trouble when . . . . .  (Read 3670 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Ya' KNOW y'are in trouble when . . . . .
« on: December 09, 2014, 09:44:26 PM »
Dear WeatherCat severe weather survivors,

At least in the United States, you KNOW you are in real trouble when your local National Weather Service page looks like . . . . this!

Notice that there so many warnings that they take more space than the map itself!!

I'm heading out to double-check that all the storm drains are working okay.  I've got until tomorrow evening to brace for this monster!  [thunder]

Like I said, never a dull moment . . . .

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
"Improving" weather! (Re: Ya' KNOW y'are in trouble when . . . . . )
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 09:14:36 PM »
Dear WeatherCat storm watchers,

Well, lookie here.  The Monterey office page of the National Weather Service has "improved" since yesterday . . . . .

It is being described as a "once in decade" storm . . . . . .

Yup, back to the storm prep!!

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro Plus via Keyspan Serial/USB adapator running on 10.9.4
Re: Ya' KNOW y'are in trouble when . . . . .
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 01:26:49 AM »
Edouard,

It seems like it always feast or famine for the dry climates of the world.  Especially with the shroud of global warming.  Enjoy the feast as I am sure a famine is in the forecast.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Water in da' "bank" (Re: Ya' KNOW y'are in trouble when . . . . . )
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 09:55:55 PM »
Dear Jeff and WeatherCat drought watchers, . . . .

It seems like it always feast or famine for the dry climates of the world.  Especially with the shroud of global warming.  Enjoy the feast as I am sure a famine is in the forecast.

So sorry to hear that, but it does appear to be more of an El Nino year, so perhaps your time will come.  In the meaning I'm continuing to "deposit" into the water "bank."

We'll take all we can get so long as nothing really bad happens!   Alas, it does appear that people are already getting into trouble. . . . .

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/12/11/north-california-storm-wind-weather/20235905/

Oh well, . . . . . . .

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Storm final outcome. (Re: Ya' KNOW y'are in trouble when . . . . . )
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 10:38:53 PM »
Dear WeatherCat storm watchers,

Well Canebas weathered the storm without anything more serious than a few small downed branches.  It was one amazing run of rain though:

I believe that is the longest duration of continuous rainfall I've ever seen since getting WC Storm Monitor working, and it is the long stretch of continuous rainfall that I can remember.  We finally ended up with 3.77" (95.8mm) of rain.  That's enough to put us above average for the entire 2014-15 wet season through December.  This the first time we are finally above.  More rain is expected through most of next week; however, we are supposed to get a break for the week of Christmas.  That seems a little unfair though - some of us want rain as our Christmas present!  [biggrin]

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro Plus via Keyspan Serial/USB adapator running on 10.9.4
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 05:20:11 AM »
Have a WET Christmas  [rainyluck]

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 06:35:50 PM »
That's quite a lot of rain Edouard! Is it 'useful' rain or will it just vanish?

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Half and half. (Re: Ya' KNOW y'are in trouble when . . . . . )
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 11:22:50 PM »
Howdy Jeff, Stu, and WeatherCat drought watchers,

Have a WET Christmas  [rainyluck]

The forecast is still for a drying trend for the first part of Christmas week, but that still might change by Thursday! . . .

That's quite a lot of rain Edouard! Is it 'useful' rain or will it just vanish?

Well, it is sort of half and half.  I lot of it simply got the soils really wet.  It has been so long since we got any significant rainfall that the soils were very dry and they are still absorbing a lot.  However, where runoff fed reservoirs that water is in the bank.  Also there was a fair amount of snow in the higher elevations.  Hopefully at least some of that will end up in the back.

We are expecting at least 4 storms this week.  They will be colder so that will add to the snow-pack.  The storms vary in strength, but some are wet enough to provide more significant rainfall.  These storms will go even further toward refilling reservoirs and allowing creeks, streams, and rivers to come back to a more normal flow.

The fear for everybody around here is if that darn blocking high ever returns.  If we continue to get storms as we have been all autumn, the trend is good!

Keeping my fingers crossed!