Author Topic: Anyone doing an Aerogarden this winter?  (Read 3845 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Anyone doing an Aerogarden this winter?
« on: November 09, 2015, 11:06:36 PM »
Dear WeatherCat "indoor gardeners,"

Finding myself back indoors this morning because of the rain, I took the time to unpack the seed pods and put into service our Aerogarden as an herb garden:

It has been stocked with 1 thyme, 1 Chervil, 2 Parsley, and 3 Chives.  If El Ni?o actually does trap us in the house for extended periods of time, this will provide us with some fresh herb for cooking.

Anyone else considering putting one of these into service?

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Anyone doing an Aerogarden this winter?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 12:31:22 AM »
First he complains about drought... now he complains about rain. Next thing we know, he'll complain about the new rope...  [rolleyes2]

Fortunately, we still have what you call "rain" on a fairly regular/seasonal basis. This Spring, we included several different herbs in the outdoor planters. I used water from the fish pond (which usually has a little extra nitrogen) to water those planters. Water for the pond comes from a 250+ gallon container fed by some the gutters on the garage roof ("plumbing designed by R. Goldberg").

Unfortunately, I forgot to report the presence of these fresh herbs to the Granddaughter who does a lot of cooking around here!

Of course, that planter/greenhouse/"Garden"/etc. thing would extend the 'growing' season... OTOH,
  • How much electricity does the thing use?
    • How much material is recyclable?
      • How much energy was used to manufacture and transport it?
Since you don't seem to have much cloud-based "rain" I thought I give you some of the "parade-based" kind! [rolleyes2] :o [banghead] [blush]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 02:34:26 PM »
Hi Edouard
 Are sure you not growing Cannabis?  [lol2]

cheers

[cheers1]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 07:31:24 PM »
We haven't pulled our two Aerogardens out yet, but  will be planting them with greens for salad over the winter.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Can't win for losing . . . . (Re: Aerogarden this winter?)
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 10:44:59 PM »
Dear X-Air, Randall, Steve, and WeatherCat gardeners, . . .

Fortunately, we still have what you call "rain" on a fairly regular/seasonal basis. This Spring, we included several different herbs in the outdoor planters.

Actually our fresh herb supply mostly comes from a similar assortment of potted herb plants located not to far from access doors.  Since the weather in California is rarely extreme for a prolonged period of time, that's usually enough.  Last year we did get our Aerogarden in operation, but it really was a bust.  We got so little rain that our outdoor herb garden remained active throughout the winter.

Are sure you not growing Cannabis? 

Of course not, . . . .  Not enough money in it.

Instead, I'm going to apply for the position of director of marijuana regulation for the state of California.  The job pays $150,000 and starts in 2017.  Just one small thing, California voters haven't even been asked if they want marijuana legalized.  Alas, that hasn't stopped the state government from already advertising the new position . . . .  [rolleyes2]

We haven't pulled our two Aerogardens out yet, but  will be planting them with greens for salad over the winter.

Sounds like a plan!  [tup]

Cheers, Edouard

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on a MacMini (2009) Mac OS 10.11.6
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 11:26:03 PM »
Intriguing device. Never heard of it before. Just in time for the season(ing).

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
URL to manufacturer (Re: Aerogarden this winter?)
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 10:03:34 PM »
Dear Michael and WeatherCat indoor gardeners,

Intriguing device. Never heard of it before. Just in time for the season(ing).

Sorry, I should have included at least one URL.  Here is the main Aerogarden website:

http://www.aerogarden.com/

I've started to see them sold through a number of retail outlets.  For example Amazon how carries them in stock:

http://www.amazon.com/AeroGrow/b/ref=bl_dp_s_web_3016362011?ie=UTF8&node=3016362011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=AeroGrow

I'll be the first to admit I was skeptical at first, but so long as you aren't trying to grow something that is very large, these self-contained gardening systems do work well.  Since they are completely independent of outdoor conditions, it is a great way to have fresh herbs or vegetables no matter how harsh winter turns out to be.

Cheers, Edouard

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 04:51:01 PM »
bought our 7 pod Aerogarden probably 10-12 years ago. My parents like it, so we bought them one, too. After my Dad died, Mom just eats iceberg lettuce (yecckk!)so sent the second one home with me.

We tried tomatoes once, but it wasn't worth the time for the taste and volume. I've tried making my own spinach pods with mixed results. Mostly, we either use one for mixed lettuce, or use both for mixed lettuce starting a few weeks apart. One is getting too big about the time the second is in its prime. We'v grown hers, but end up with more than needed. That's fine in the garden, as they are ornamental as well, but not all over the kitchen cabinet. Now that we have empty bedrooms, we should put them on a card table out of the way. But it is so handy having lettuce two steps from the 'fridge.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook