Author Topic: iPad version  (Read 10763 times)

@p@t

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Maplin N96GY(WH1080) / MacMini Intel
iPad version
« on: June 20, 2013, 06:22:49 PM »
Do we have any iPad version in the works or does anyone know of a compatible UI for WeatherCat?

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Re: iPad version
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 07:21:58 PM »
Unfortunately, at the moment there isn't any word on an iPad friendly version of the WeatherCat iOS app.  The closest thing available is to create a web page that would display nicely on an iPad.

Hopefully, somebody will take up the challenge eventually.

Cheers, Edouard

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rustman

• Calm
  • Station Details: ambient weather; ws-2080; MacBook Pro; Kindle Fire HD; Android
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 07:48:01 PM »
Do we have any iPad version in the works or does anyone know of a compatible UI for WeatherCat?
@P@T -- at the moment, we have WeatherCat for iPhones and also iPads - it works quite well on this iPad 2.
This app is free from Poohbah Industries, and is available in the iTunes Store here:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/weathercat/id513753268?mt=8
  As mentioned by eleganche, the web pages created by basic WeatherCat also display nicely on iPad 2 and
iPad Mini.
  I hope this helps.

@p@t

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Maplin N96GY(WH1080) / MacMini Intel
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 07:52:01 AM »
thanks!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 08:15:12 PM »
Apologies on my incorrect reply.   My understanding was that WeatherCat iOS app would run on an iPad, but was really designed for an iPhone.  I have run the app, but I don't spend enough time outside of the house to make it very useful to me.  When I'm out and about, my website is good enough to satisfy my curiosity.

Cheers, Edouard

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 09:11:36 AM »
@P@T -- at the moment, we have WeatherCat for iPhones and also iPads - it works quite well on this iPad 2.
This app is free from Poohbah Industries, and is available in the iTunes Store here:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/weathercat/id513753268?mt=8
  As mentioned by eleganche, the web pages created by basic WeatherCat also display nicely on iPad 2 and
iPad Mini.
  I hope this helps.

I know the current iOS client will run on the iPad, but I would love to see a native iPad version that takes advantage of the extra screen space.
Blick

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
iPad Version Under Development
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 08:18:30 PM »
I have an iPad version under development and am looking for a few good reviewers. It is a stand-along app for the iPad (IE does not run on iPhone) and runs on iOS 6 and newer. It uses the full screen of the iPad in landscape or portrait orientation. The weather data is the same as you see on the iPhone version, but you can layout the screen any way you want and you can choose the display style and size for each weather measurement.

It functions well now and I'm looking for (1) enhancement suggestions and (2) a price point. Things like "If it had x feature, I would pay y." I plan to make improvements and provide updates after release, but at this point in time I'm just trying to figure what it should have "out of the gate" and how much to charge for it. Your input will be very much appreciated.

I will send it to selected pre-release reviewers using OTA (Over-The-Air) distribution. This uses a web page to install the app directly onto your iPad. You need to provide me with your UDID and email address. Apple's policy is that OTA releases are time-limited so if you like the app, you'll eventually need to purchase it.

Send me an email if you would like to participate.

Pugman1943

• Calm
  • Hello from near Dallas, TX
    • DW-3278
    • KTXDUNCA4
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 with solar and radiation, IMac 21 inch, OSX 10.9
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 05:36:27 PM »
I bought the small program from Poohbah hoping to add additional info to my ipad.  I ran the  client which would not load and I'm not in the mood to chase it down so I was disappointed.

Then I decided to look into CWOP.

All the information is there, so what does the small program give me that CWOP doesn't?

Helpful and informative responses most welcome.

Thanks, Ed
Ed Conway ( Pugman1943 )

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Good things come to those who wait. (Re: iPad version)
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 10:14:14 PM »
Dear Ed and WeatherCat iPad fans,

I bought the small program from Poohbah hoping to add additional info to my ipad.  I ran the  client which would not load and I'm not in the mood to chase it down so I was disappointed.

What you have downloaded isn't designed for the iPad.  It is a free iPhone app.  It does work on the iPad, but it doesn't take advantage of the iPad in any way.  There is new version of the WeatherCat iOS app designed specifically for the iPad.  "Grand" described work starting on this application in this posting:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=833.msg10510#msg10510

According to the grapevine, this iPad specific version of the WeatherCat iOS application should become available any day now.  Having been part of the private beta-testers for this application, I can say (without violating any nondisclosure agreements) that  . . . . . . .

Good things come to those who wait! . . .

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 05:38:52 AM »
All the information is there, so what does the small program give me that CWOP doesn't?

Helpful and informative responses most welcome.

Ed:

Most members of the forum would agree that my responses are generally neither helpful nor informative but I will take my chances anyway. CWOP offers a lot.  The Grand Poobah's app is designed for quick glance to see almost everything you can see about current weather if you are home looking at your Weather Station Gauges window. What it will tell that CWOP can't is the status of your station. It allows you to see Good Data, Comms Errors and Sensor Errors, which tells you at a a glance if you are successfully uploading your weather data.

As Edouard said, what you downloaded is not for the iPad but Mr. Poobah has an iPad app in the works.

If all you want is to see your historical data, and you don't care for a quick glance, CWOP and Wunderground are both good choices when you have the time to scroll through and look. The Poobah app is better when you want a one screen quick glance without scrolling.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Dear Ed, Blick, and WeatherCat fans,

Most members of the forum would agree that my responses are generally neither helpful nor informative

In the voice of one of characters created by the great Warner Bros. animator and director: Bob Clampett . . . .

Well now, I would say that!  [biggrin]

Then I decided to look into CWOP.

Okay, it's my turn to confess that I was reading the forum a little too fast.  :-[

Somehow I thought you were using one of the applications that use Weather Underground data instead of CWOP.  I never thought to look into using CWOP to monitor my station - mainly because the update frequency is a little slow at once every 10 minutes.

However, now that you mention it, I realized something else - there are no apps at all for the iPad that use CWOP data.  The only thing I found was this app which is designed once more for iPhone:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cwop-weather/id822251895?mt=8

It doesn't look badly designed but being only for the iPhone, I'm not sure that would be exactly your cup of tea either. 

So I assume Ed that you are monitoring your station simply using one of the CWOP webpages with Safari on your iPad?

I don't know you submit to Weather Underground as well, but it won't do you any good anyway.  As far as I can tell, there isn't any app that is specifically designed to take advantage of the larger screen area of an iPad.  The only thing that is available and I find useful is WunderMap:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wundermap-by-weather-underground/id364884105?mt=8

This can be very handy if you want to track weather moving across the ground near where you are at.  For example you can anticipate when rain might move into your area or if cooling breezes are headed your way.

What I really wanted to point out is that the Poohbah Industries applications are limited to what WeatherCat provides.  The WeatherCat server client interface only provides current information.  There is no way to get access to graphs or other data at the moment.  That may change someday, but for now what is available to any client is basically what is available on the simple gauges console.

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
iPad Version is in the App Store.
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 02:24:14 AM »
I am happy to report that WeatherCat 1.0 for the iPad ("WeatherCatPad") passed Apple's review and will be in the App Store soon.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 02:38:17 AM »
Grand:

Congratulations. I think you have nice app and I like it better than the iPhone app. It's good to have the extra real-estate to work with on the screen and the round dial gauges are cool. If you want a one screen summary of WeatherCat data on your iPad, this is it. Thanks.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Bought it! (Re: iPad Version is in the App Store.)
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 10:33:02 PM »
Dear Grand, Blick, and WeatherCat iOS fans,

I am happy to report that WeatherCat 1.0 for the iPad ("WeatherCatPad") passed Apple's review and will be in the App Store soon.

Hurray!!  [bounce]  I just ran over and bought a copies for everyone in the house!  I also submitted a review!  Glad this "cat" is finally out of the bag!