Weather > Weather Hardware/Measurement

Weather Station Seasonal Maintenance Checklist.

<< < (2/7) > >>

KeithC:
Unplugging all sensors before any maintenance activities eliminates the need for diagnostics mode. Plug the sensors back in when finished and there will be no bad data - at least this has been the case for me.

Thanks Edouard for the great list!!

elagache:
Hi Keith and WeatherCat station caregivers,

--- Quote from: KeithC on March 05, 2014, 02:40:31 PM ---Unplugging all sensors before any maintenance activities eliminates the need for diagnostics mode. Plug the sensors back in when finished and there will be no bad data - at least this has been the case for me.
--- End quote ---

Okay, that's a fair enough suggestion.  So you are getting sensor errors during this time I presume?  However, you ignore them - correct?

That's better than nothing, and will work with the Weather Envoy.  I added the suggestion to the Weather Station Maintenance Checklist.  However, I don't know of any other weather stations besides the Davis VP-2 where that strategy will work.  I don't know if you even have access to those cables on the Vantage Vue.

Since it would be good to know, I started up a new thread for all those non-Davis folks to contribute strategies to avoid bad data on their stations. 

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1198.0

It would be good to document any ways that other weather station models can set to avoid receiving erroneous data.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

KeithC:
Hi Edouard.

By your questions it sounds like I might be misunderstanding something. So please allow me to explain the scenario where my suggestion works for me. Hopefully that will help pinpoint for you anything I might be misunderstanding.

Whenever I clean, lube or adjust anything on my VP-2, I disconnect the rain and wind sensors. In this way, for one example, if the tipping bucket tips back and forth, it won't register as any rain. So there's no data errors at all, and none for me to "ignore".

The short time it takes me for maintenance stuff - and thus the short time the sensors are disconnected - does not have a mathematically significant effect on any of the running averages.

If I am missing something, please let me know. But it's been my experience that, since I can in fact disconnect these sensors during maintenance, it's a foolproof way to go about it.

Wildwood:
I'm not sure if this goes here but I am having a wird one. My solar & UV sensors keep dropping off line. I have reset all the connections, checked for dirt on top. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks

KeithC:
Hello Wildwood,

To better serve your question, you might get more responses if you were to re-post this question as a new thread. You're in the correct category -- i.e. Weather Hardware/Measurement -- however, your question is at the bottom of a totally different thread. So please try starting a new thread.

Cheers,

Keith

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version