WeatherCat > Development Blog

Do Not Buy This SSD!

(1/4) > >>

WCDev:
Bought this OCZ Petrol SSD two weeks ago. It was an impulse buy - I was in the shop, saw it, saw a use for it and bought it - if I'd done my homework first, I don't think I would have bought it.

Anyway, installed 10.7, went through the grief of getting all my development profiles set up, started 1.1 development.

Two weeks later, completely dead - won't mount, won't format - nada. As it has confidential information on it and I can't even format it, I can't take it back [banghead]

Sigh.

Wildwood:
This is a good one - I have 6 at work been running great for 6 months.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_6G/

good luck

elagache:
Howdy Stu, Wildwood, and WeatherCat folks,

--- Quote from: WCDev on July 01, 2012, 09:25:09 AM ---Bought this OCZ Petrol SSD two weeks ago.
. . . .
Two weeks later, completely dead - won't mount, won't format - nada. As it has confidential information on it and I can't even format it, I can't take it back [banghead]
--- End quote ---

Bummer dude  :(

That's really unfair.  I don't know what good it would do, but I would at least give them a call and see if you can figure some way to get the company to guarantee they'll zap the old one.  After all, they are in the computer business and there (at least used to be) something called professional courtesy.

--- Quote from: Wildwood on July 01, 2012, 05:32:11 PM ---This is a good one - I have 6 at work been running great for 6 months.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_6G/

--- End quote ---

I haven't bought one of their solid state drives, but I've been doing business with Other World Computing for decades.  They have been a MacBook's best friend since they were called PowerBooks!!  ;D

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Steve:
I haven't made the move to solid state backup drives. I have three LaCie 2T Firewire 800 drives I use for backup, and they're plenty fast. What are folks finding attractive about the quicker, but smaller and more expensive solid state drives for backup?

elagache:
Howdy Steve and da' cat fans,

--- Quote from: Steve on July 02, 2012, 01:03:46 AM ---I haven't made the move to solid state backup drives. I have three LaCie 2T Firewire 800 drives I use for backup, and they're plenty fast. What are folks finding attractive about the quicker, but smaller and more expensive solid state drives for backup?

--- End quote ---

These drives are still more money than I'm willing to spend, but I thought the big incentive was to replace your main system drive.  The access time is comparable to RAM instead of a disk.  So your machine becomes much, much faster.

In the old days RAM was very expensive which disk space was more plentiful.  Operating systems and a lot of software were designed to trade speed for capability.  If everything on your computer is "RAM" than you get much more than a faster drive, all your software performs far better than "it should."

Anything I'm overlooking or other features that folks think are important to mention about solid state drives?

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version