Author Topic: Hello from San Diego California  (Read 2762 times)

Tailspin45

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW0995
    • KCACARLS17
    • Carlsbad Science and Technology Observatory
  • Station Details: Davis 6250, 6520 USB logger, iMac, Evocam
Hello from San Diego California
« on: June 14, 2013, 03:00:53 PM »
Just switched from inexpensive but unreliable Ambient Weather and WeatherSnoop to excellent Davis 6250 and WeatherCat.

I've been a pilot for almost 50 years, including a stint with the US Navy, so weather has been a life long interest. Indeed, it proved a life changing factor in our decision to move to San Diego from the Philadelphia area so our vintage airplane ride business would enjoy better weather.
The open-cockpit flight out here in 18?F temperatures was an experience not soon forgotten. [freeze]

The downside, however, is that where we live has perhaps the most benign weather in the US. Temperatures fluctuate but a few degrees, the wind seldom blows over 10 knots, and it almost never rains! Not an exciting place to watch weather!

Blue skies and tailwinds,
Tailspin Tommy
http://carlsbadwx.com

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: Hello from San Diego California
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 06:20:17 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 08:18:54 PM »
Hi Tommy, and welcome to the forum. I remember you from either the MacWeather forum or over on the WXforums.

I read your books when I was a kid! ;)
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Weather comes to those who wait! (Re: Hello from San Diego California)
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 09:34:42 PM »
Welcome  Tailspin Tommy

The downside, however, is that where we live has perhaps the most benign weather in the US. Temperatures fluctuate but a few degrees, the wind seldom blows over 10 knots, and it almost never rains! Not an exciting place to watch weather!

Sounds like you made the correct business decision, but indeed having also lived in San Diego a few years.  I know that you'll have long periods of weather boredom. 

Still, it does rain some years.  I had my trusty 1965 Buick Special wagon as my only transportation and it had no more shelter than this:

For a place where it supposedly never rains, I can recall going through several car covers and some desperate efforts to keep the vulnerable tailgate mostly dry!

So, hang in there, your Weather Station is bound to get "some business!"  [thunder]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

jf-i2r

• Strong Breeze
  • Station Details: vantage pro2 wireless with solar sensor ; weatherlink-ip ;mac mini 1,6ghz 2go ram El Capitan
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 07:00:04 PM »
hi Tommy

welcome to this great forum
you will find all the help you need
the members of this forum are really great

cheers   [cheers1]
jean frederic

Nick

• Gentle Breeze
  • Calm and steady
    • ICAMBRID52
    • Davis Weather Station (Weatherlink details)
  • Station Details: Davis VantageVue with WeatherLinkIP
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 05:04:23 PM »
Hi Tommy,

Welcome to WC

Nick
UK
 [sun2]