Author Topic: Running 2 devices using SLAB_USBtoUART  (Read 1434 times)

Ruyton

• Gentle Breeze
    • ISHROPSH19
    • Shotatton Weather
  • Station Details: Davie Vantage Vue
Running 2 devices using SLAB_USBtoUART
« on: February 09, 2015, 11:22:39 AM »
Not quite sure if this should go here or in the General OSX discussion area, so Admins feel free to move it as required.

I run WxtoImg APT satellite decoding software on OSX Yosemite using an old Icom PCR1500 computer controlled receiver and it works very well.  The web output is here if you are interested.

http://www.assaultglidertrust.co.uk/wxtoimg/wxtoimg.html

I also run WeatherCat with a Vantage Vue on the same iMac and the 2 programs play nicely and both run H24 without any issues.

The only minor issue I have whenever I reboot the iMac - which is not very often - is that as both of these programs use the SLAB_USBtoUART driver and they never seem to remember which connection they should use on restart.  The drivers are visible as  tty.SLAB_USBtoUART and tty.SLAB_USBtoUART plus a number e.g.tty.SLAB_USBtoUART3 so it's easy enough to try each in turn until the right device is allocated to the right driver, but I winder if there is a better way to do this?

When I upgraded from a WS1080 to the Vantage Vue I didn't reinstall the USBtoUART driver as it was working OK with WxtoImg and the PCR1500 and I didn't want to break anything.

I have found that OSX does struggle a bit with USB drivers (as does Windows!) so I might be missing something here, but I wonder if there is a way to get programs to correctly remember which connection they should be using?
Gary - Shrewsbury UK

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: Running 2 devices using SLAB_USBtoUART
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 06:22:41 PM »
WeatherCat stores the full path to the device, so it should be fine. However, if the devices are being enumerated differently on boot, then there's a good chance it'll fail :(