Author Topic: Latest Davis E-news newsletter and caravan weather stations!  (Read 6240 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Latest Davis E-news newsletter and caravan weather stations!
« on: February 25, 2017, 11:01:04 PM »
Dear WeatherCat Davis station owners and fans,

Davis has another edition of their E-news newsletter.

http://enews.davisnet.com/read/archive?id=2958&mid=476601&x=f477602e

Not surprisingly, it has a description of the new AeroCone rain gauge collector cone:

http://enews.davisnet.com/read/archive?id=2958&mid=476601&x=f477602e#weatheraction_a

However, finally they have a useful article!  They tell how someone with a travel trailer (Caravan in UK-English) figured out how to add a Davis Vantage Vue!

http://enews.davisnet.com/read/archive?id=2958&mid=476601&x=f477602e#weatheraction_b

Too bad the trailer isn't a nice looking Vintage Airstream, but the concept should work even on a vintage trailer!   ;) Now Stu has absolutely no excuse for not developing WeatherCat Caravan Edition!  lol(1)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
Re: Latest Davis E-news newsletter and caravan weather stations!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 10:46:07 AM »
Didn't someone here on the forum (or possibly it was WXForum) note that the solar and UV sensors have to be relocated when retrofitting the AeroCone? 

Wonder why Davis didn't bother to mention that point in their E-news write-up?

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 02:35:10 PM »
Davis Vue mounted on Caravan.
Driver Gets Lost by Following "Direction of Travel" Display!
...but he knew his exact airspeed!
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 07:24:04 PM »
or invest in a Kestrel and avoid the whole thing.  ;)
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 08:20:36 PM »
invest in a Kestrel
Are those what we call "mobile homes" over here? Also sometimes referred to as manufactured housing. While they do have axles and wheels, they are rarely moved, even if they are "mobile". And certainly not by a car or a small truck for use on a vacation all over the country! [lol2]

The "Kestrels" I see via the interweb look to be "portable" like the first Macintosh! More like "luggable"! [lol]

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 08:39:00 PM »
Kestrels fit into your pocket, unless you have the bird, kestrel then it might be an issue.
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 08:45:38 PM »
I prefer to keep a Kestrel in my hand. You know what they say about "two in a bush".

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 09:24:00 PM »
A Kestrel is what's in my hand in my avatar and social network links. An American Kestrel (nee Sparrow Hawk) is my favorite bird, and I have lots of transparencies of them but no digital files.

The former fits in my pocket just fine; the latter might resemble Donald Katz' 1987 short story The King Of The Ferret Leggers: The Classic Tale Of Sportsmen Who Put Carnivores Down Their Pants
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Software for Kestrel stations? (Re: Caravan weather stations!)
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 11:51:58 PM »
Dear Felix, X-Air, Weatheraardvark, Steve, and WeatherCat wanting their caravan to be "just like home" types,

or invest in a Kestrel and avoid the whole thing.  ;)

A Kestrel is what's in my hand in my avatar and social network links.

I'm assuming that this fellow with the traveler trailer wanted something more like a home station with a display instead the trailer of what the weather was outside.  That's what I would like as well, so Kestrel station isn't quite what I had in mind.

As I recall though the Kestrel stations can communicate via Bluetooth.  Is there any new software so that you could leave your Kestrel outside but monitor it from the inside?

A curious mind would like to know!

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: Software for Kestrel stations? (Re: Caravan weather stations!)
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 04:15:03 AM »
As I recall though the Kestrel stations can communicate via Bluetooth.  Is there any new software so that you could leave your Kestrel outside but monitor it from the inside?

Some Kestrel models come with or without Bluetooth, but it is a quite expensive option. My standard Kestrel 4500 has been replaced by the 5500 at $309, and Bluetooth is an extra $90 plus a $30 LiNK dongle.

Or you can buy the $59 LiNK cable to transfer logged data. The problem has always been that the transfer protocol is staggeringly slow. Even the wired download is 230 Kb/s or less than 2% of the transfer speed of the 20 year old USB 1.0 protocol.

So, yes, you can get live data indoors from an outdoor Kestrel, but only using binoculars.

[EDIT] I am mistaken! It looks like the wireless models have made an improvement I wasn't aware of.

The true versatility of the Kestrel 5500 becomes apparent with the addition of the Kestrel Vane Mount.  This precision-engineered accessory securely mounts the Kestrel 5500 to any tripod or other ?-20 fitted bracket. Once mounted, the Kestrel 5500 becomes a full-featured weather station ? with a large wind vane and precision pivot keeping the Kestrel oriented into the wind for continuous measurement and logging of wind speed, wind direction, and all other key weather parameters. The Kestrel LiNK app also displays the Kestrel?s real-time readings on a vivid, customizable dashboard ? providing a remote display that functions up to 100? away. The ENTIRE Kestrel 5500 + Vane Mount kit weighs just 10.5 ounces / 295 grams, and packs into the included padded belt carry pouch that is just 2.5 x 3 x 8.5 inches / 6.5 x 7.5 x 22 cm. Providing hundreds of hours of accurate measurements, the Kestrel 5500 is truly the world?s most compact weather station. The Rotating Vane Mount is included with the 5500 with LiNK, or available for purchase separately. It works with any Kestrel 5 Series meter.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 06:03:19 AM »
just on a side note with the Kestrel,  I use mine to check the instruments and  console  against something else that I assume to be correct.   Anyway,  the caravan mount is worth it if someone travels and wants an idea of changing conditions such as a sudden drop or rise in barometric pressure might be a signal to get the heck out of the trailer and find something sturdy to hide in.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Kestrel looks very practical! (Re: Caravan weather stations!)
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 10:04:31 PM »
Dear Steve, Weatheraardvark, and WeatherCat "on the go" types, . . .

[EDIT] I am mistaken! It looks like the wireless models have made an improvement I wasn't aware of.

Yes indeed the 5500 looks like just the sort of platform that could be used to monitor what is happening outside your travel trailer from the inside.  Here is the URL for the curious:

https://kestrelmeters.com/products/kestrel-5500-weather-meter

Of course Davis won't be pleased, but it would be simpler to mount a Kestrel to a travel trailer (caravan) then to come up with something that can support the heavier Vantage Vue.  The Kestrel software could be enough to at least be aware of the conditions.  Although, I wonder if Kestrel has published the API so that other developers could access the device.

just on a side note with the Kestrel,  I use mine to check the instruments and  console  against something else that I assume to be correct.   Anyway,  the caravan mount is worth it if someone travels and wants an idea of changing conditions such as a sudden drop or rise in barometric pressure might be a signal to get the heck out of the trailer and find something sturdy to hide in.

If you are in tornado country or some other place with severe weather, you would probably be better served to have a radio that has the National Weather Service alert system (at least in the United States.)  I assume there are similar systems in Europe and elsewhere.

I think the interest to have a weather station when traveling in a trailer would really be the same as keeping an eye on the weather at home.  Stu has told us of some of his caravan trips where the weather was so lousy that his wife and him were cooped up in the trailer.  Without the weather being dangerous, it can be so cold and wet that outdoor activities aren't appealing.  In cases like that, I would expect any "weather geek" would like to know precisely how miserable the conditions are outside - just like at home.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 02:54:10 AM »
Here is the AUGUST 2O17 issue of the Davis Newsletter:

http://enews.davisnet.com/read/archive?id=2993&mid=776114
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Yeah, but missing caravans . . . (Re: Latest Davis E-news and caravans)
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 10:26:46 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat fans of weather stations and caravans,

Here is the AUGUST 2O17 issue of the Davis Newsletter:

Yeah, I know . . . . but this issue is really boring.  [rolleyes2]  Not even one caravan in it!  lol(1)

So for those of you in need of a little caravan "eye candy," someone is selling a 1958 Airstream Flying Cloud on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Airstream-Flying-Cloud-1958/162610983886

It has been pulled by a 1947 Chevy 5-window pickup truck and there 4 photos that are adorable!   :)  Alas, eBay has gotten sneaky about how they handle photos, so I can't just insert an image into this posting.  If you want to see cute!  [cat] You've got to click over there yourself!

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 11:37:39 PM »
Just click on the thumbnail. A large version will open in a overlaying window. Click and hold anywhere on that image and drag it to your desktop (or any other directory you want). I'll be deleting this image in a few hours...

Well, I've selected/chosen it and it shows in the "Attach" list, but it does not show in Preview nor is there any indication of where it will be in the post. [banghead] I think I've read that this forum s/w always places images below the text of a post.