Author Topic: New Davis Vantage Vue User  (Read 4503 times)

05WideGuy

• Calm
  • Ham Radio Operater
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue 6250
New Davis Vantage Vue User
« on: October 18, 2015, 09:55:02 PM »
Hi All,  I just upgraded from a AcuRite Pro. My name is JOEL and I'm from Slidell La.  I have not bought a data logger yet.  I'm am planning on using the Mac USB Logger and Weather Cat software.  I have read some reports that I should go with the serial with USB adapter, is this true?  Will the Mac USB work without any problem?  I should add that I'm using El Capitan OS.

Joel

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome and details. (Re: New Davis Vantage Vue User)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 10:50:59 PM »
Dear Joel and WeatherCat fans,

First things first, welcome to the WeatherCat forum!

Hi All,  I just upgraded from a AcuRite Pro. My name is JOEL and I'm from Slidell La.  I have not bought a data logger yet.  I'm am planning on using the Mac USB Logger and Weather Cat software.  I have read some reports that I should go with the serial with USB adapter, is this true?  Will the Mac USB work without any problem?  I should add that I'm using El Capitan OS.

By far the simplest thing to do is to buy the Mac version of Davis WeatherLink which includes the USB logger and cable.  Here is the part number from the Davis website:

http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=06520

Definitely do not go with a serial interface and adapter.  This isn't as reliable and support for serial adapters is getting scarce. 

Just for your information, Davis has another data logger option - IP data logger:

http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=06555

This connects to your local area network via Ethernet.  WeatherCat supports both.  It is more expensive, but I mention it just in case that simplifies your setup.  To use the USB data logger, you must locate your console near your computer.  Sometimes that is inconvenient.

If you aren't aware of any discount sources for Davis components by all means ask.  The community here has a few favorite vendors with excellent discounts.

You can run the latest version of WeatherCat 2.2.2 on El Capitan.  Stay away from anything earlier.

I hope that's enough information to get you started.  If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

05WideGuy

• Calm
  • Ham Radio Operater
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue 6250
Re: New Davis Vantage Vue User
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 11:12:24 PM »
Mr. Edouard, Thanks for the warm welcome, and especially your advice, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear.  I will most definitely go with the Mac WL and USB data-logger.  I have no problem keeping the console within reach of my computer as I keep everything together in my Ham Radio Shack.  I do like the idea of WLIP but maybe down the road, I don't need it just yet.  Looking forward to learning from you all and contributing when I can.  Also if you would, please give me a heads up with the name of your discount vendor which you mentioned.  THANKS!

Joel

awilltx

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 11:15:22 AM »
Hey Joel, welcome to the forums.

I use Ryan at Scaled Instruments for most things Davis related. Great prices and super service. Check 'em out at:

https://www.scaledinstruments.com

Good luck,

Alan

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 11:48:38 AM »
A couple more Davis discounters to check out:

http://www.scientificsales.com/

http://www.rainmanweather.com/

I just saw a fellow on another weather forum saying he'd gotten a top-end Davis 6163 for under $850 which is a pretty substantial discount. Shipping and sales tax wasn't mentioned. I'd spend some time on Google before buying, there are some pretty good discounts available on Davis stations and components/accessories.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 04:56:06 PM »
Welcome AboaRd, Joel! The weather can be dangerous and rough, but these forums will see you through the worst! Very friendly, helpful, knowledgeable (present poster excepted).

BTW, the best way to ask questions is to use the other sections of the forums; The <Trixology ? Weather ? Weather Hardware/Measurement> part of the "Weather" section, and just about anything that starts with "WeatherCat" in the "WeatherCat" section. There is usually a short, single post in each group of threads that explains what is usually discussed there. Of course, there is a really good 'search' function, also. Posting in this thread may not be seen too often, and it's down at the bottom of most browser views; 'outa site, outa mind'. :)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 05:13:39 PM »
Welcome!

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 06:35:58 PM »
Welcome Joel!
Blick

Beekpr

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW4502
    • KNHWESTM3
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2+, WeatherLink IP, 27" iMac 5K Retina, OS 10.10.5
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 09:20:52 PM »
Hey, Joel! Thanks for joining. Now I'm not the newest guy! Tho' I've only been on the forum for a couple of days, I've already found the folks here to be very friendly and helpful. I think you'll enjoy it here!

Cheers,

John

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 08:08:29 AM »
Welcome Joel! How Y'all doing down there in Slidell? Getting any cool weather yet? I'm up here in N. Arkansas close to the Missouri border in a little town called Horseshoe Bend. Mostly retired folk here. Biggest industries is the ones for playing golf and eating.

I used to work down there in Laplace for a short time, but they ran me off. My son worked in Houma for a long time, then went to E. Kentucky for Marathon.

I really miss the great boudin you could get just about anywhere. People up here don't even know what I'm talking about.

Get yourself hooked up and come on back and tell us about it. We like a good weather station install story.  [lol]

[cheers1]
Herb