Author Topic: Kestrel 4500 Pocket Weather Tracker  (Read 9497 times)

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Kestrel 4500 Pocket Weather Tracker
« on: May 30, 2012, 04:03:00 AM »
(cross-posted from MacWeather.net from back in March)

I used a couple Amazon gift cards left from Christmas to add to my weather conditions monitoring arsenal. I bought a Nielsen-Kellerman Kestrel Pocket Weather Tracker.

There are several Kestrel models, from simple wind meters up to Bluetooth night vision models with built-in ballistics calculators used by the military and competition shooters. There are models specific for HVAC, concrete work, agricultural spraying, racing, and more, from $99 to $849.

http://www.nkhome.com/kestrel

I bought the Kestrel Model 4500. I had narrowed it down to the 4000 or 4500 due to several considerations and needs (well, wants...) I ended up with the 4500 just due to supply and cost on Amazon. It is there top end model, but without the Bluetooth, NV, ballistics, etc, which add several hundred dollars to the cost. So I look at it like the best of the regular models. The only difference between the 4500 and the 4000 is that the 4500 adds a compass, so it can calculate wind direction, crosswind, tailwind. Not a necessity, but for the difference in cost and availability I went that route. I'd have been just as happy with the 4000.

Here's the dealer blurb [edited] on what it can do, rather than me typing this all in:
Overview

For years our customers have been asking for wind direction along with wind speed. The Kestrel 4500 does just that with its built in digital compass. But it doesn?t stop there. It also calculates crosswind and headwind/tailwind with reference to a user-set target heading, and stores the information along with all the other environmental readings in its 1400 data point memory.

Pair the 4500 Wind Meter with the Kestrel Vane Mount and you have a data-logging weather station that sets up in seconds and rotates in the slightest of breezes. Did we mention that the whole kit is the ultimate in portability? It packs down into a 2 x 6 inch pouch and weighs under 8 ounces.

Kestrel 4500 Measures

Heading (true & magnetic)
Wind direction
Crosswind
Headwind/tailwind
Altitude
Pressure trend
Barometric pressure
Wet bulb temperature
Relative humidity in %
Heat stress index
Dewpoint
Wet bulb temperature
Density altitude
Wind chill
Air, water, and snow temperature ?F or ?C
Current, average, and maximum air velocity
Kestrel 4500 Features

Waterproof and floats
Time and date
Easy- to-read backlit display
Data Logger (automatic and manual)
Customizable data storage - 2900 data points
Minimum, Maximum and Average values
Multi-Function 3-line display
Humidity sensor can be recalibrated in the field with our Relative Humidity Calibration Kit.
Exterior temperature, humidity, and pressure sensors for fast and accurate readings
Customize screens to display user-selected measurements
Graph and recall trends
User-replaceable impeller
Flip-top impeller cover allows use of other functions while protecting the impeller
Data charting
Upload to a computer (with optional interface)
Five languages (English, French, Spanish, German, and Italian)
US Patent Nos. 5,783,753 and 5,939,645 and 6,257,074
5-year warranty
Assembled in the USA

Kestrel 4500 Includes

Soft carry pouch
Neck lanyard
Batteries - 2 AAA
Kestrel Certificate of Conformity

One nice thing about it being waterproof, is that you can dunk it in a pool, stream, glass of wine ;) or whatever and read the temperature.

I haven't done much with it yet, but I did take it out and hang it next too the Davis VP2 ISS to check the temperature. They were within .1 to .3˚F of each other, as the Kestrel reacts to changes much faster than the VP2 Console.

I'll continue using and testing it, and report back here with my impressions.
Steve

A later post based on some questions

My interests in getting a portable weather station were varied. One was as verification for the readings on my Davis ISS. A couple of times, I really wasn't sure I believed the temp I was seeing compared to the local NWS office only about a dozen miles away. With the Kestrel, I hang it around the rain collector, out of the sun, right at the level of the FARS fan. Each time I've done this, the VP2 and Kestrel agreed within .1-.3˚

Secondly, I'm doubting my windspeed readings from the VP2. We've had a couple of severe storms come through here, and while the house shook in the wind, the VP2 was only showing 30-40 mph while other sites were getting 50+ MPH. Since getting the Kestrel, we've had one windy evening, and again the wind was from the WSW, which is the direction of the highest trees near my house. While the VP2 anemometer is at about 35 feet, I stood out in the field west of the trees, and was getting about the same reading at 7 feet AGL as the VP2 was at 35 feet AGL. This has convinced me to add 10 feet to my anemometer mast in the spring.

Now that I have the station at home, I find I'm more curious about what's happening around me elsewhere. With the Kestrel, I can take local measurements visiting the family's cabin at the lake, see how humid my Mom's basement is, see how hot it is in my Mother-in-law's un-air conditioned house in July, etc.

A comparison to a mobile Vantage Vue is an excellent comparison to the Kestrel. It has an accessory mount that fits on a tripod and adds a wind vane. The Kestrel has data logging, and the increments are user settable. You can log every few seconds for a few hours, or every hour for a couple of months. The 4000 and 4500 both have the capability to temporarily turn themselves on, store a reading, then shut off. You can view this stored data on screen as data or as a chart. Or you can transfer the stored data to a computer and use just like logged data from the Vue.

The data download is reputed to be pretty slow. To maintain waterproofness, there are no ports. Instead, there are optical connections on the back that mate with the proprietary serial adaptor. This is slower than a USB or other connector. I don't plan to download data on mine.

Hopefully that somewhat explains my reasoning in getting the Kestrel. It seems like a fun addition to the tools I have here at home, as well as verification to the readings of the VP2.

Here's a nice video on the 4000 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s2FX1SdnAc The only thing the 4500 has different is a compass, which then allows the calculation and display of headwind, tailwind, and crosswind.

And here's a nice video to show the wind vane accessory. Neat idea to use a Joby with it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JlCpDC2wJs

There are already a couple of weather apps for Android that work with the Bluetooth Kestrel models.
http://www.nkhome.com/kestrel/software-partners/

From what I've read, Apple's implementation of Bluetooth in the iDevices preclude them from any use other than audio, so no luck there.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: Kestrel 4500 Pocket Weather Tracker
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 05:16:27 PM »
Very nice Steve! Beats my new watch :)

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 10:44:21 PM »
Nice Instrument Steve. Thanks for all the good info.

Drooling over the prospect of ownership, I looked it up on Amazon. They have the 4500 at $299 and the 4500NV (bluetooth) at $336.83, both with free shipping.

I am sooooo tempted.

Must ... suppress ... buyer's impulse.

[bed]
Herb
Herb

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 10:57:20 PM »
Howdy Steve, Stu, and Herb,

Thanks Steve for sharing this and other MacWeather info with the da' Cat crowd.  Although you might have also included the link to the MacWeather discussion of Kestrel 4500.  There was some interesting tidbits that came out after your initial posting.  Just as:

Drooling over the prospect of ownership, I looked it up on Amazon. They have the 4500 at $299 and the 4500NV (bluetooth) at $336.83, both with free shipping.

Unfortunately, the perfect way to buy such a thing would be to use the bluetooth version.  Alas as Steve later commented on MacWeather:
From what I've read, Apple's implementation of Bluetooth in the iDevices preclude them from any use other than audio, so no luck there.

However, that doesn't preclude using a Mac laptop - correct?

So the plot thickens in the quiet subversive lobbying efforts to have WeatherCat Camping/RV edition created!!  [lol]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S. Given the news about a certain big-block Buick engine for a trusty wagon.  My interest has also increased a bit! 

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 04:35:41 AM »
The above post was a compilation of several of my replies from the MacWeather thread, so I did include the lack of Bluetooth support in the first post in this thread. Just tried simplifying it all a bit.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Apologies . . . busy (Re: Kestrel 4500)
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 07:27:53 PM »
Howdy Steve,

Apologies!

So I did include the lack of Bluetooth support in the first post in this thread. Just tried simplifying it all a bit.

Sorry, I was skimming and didn't catch it.  Unfortunately, in a rather severe multitasking mode right at the moment.

Certainly would be curious to know if the Bluetooth version would accessible to a Mac.  The Mac Bluetooth implementation is full-featured I would think.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
Re: Apologies . . . busy (Re: Kestrel 4500)
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 12:13:13 AM »
Certainly would be curious to know if the Bluetooth version would accessible to a Mac.  The Mac Bluetooth implementation is full-featured I would think.

Before buying mine, I looked to see what I could find, and this was pretty much the only discussion I could find concerning getting data out of a Kestrel and into a Mac. Sounds painfully slow.

http://www.nkportal.com/knowledgecenter/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2967
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Looks like Mac can talk!! (Re: Kestrel 4500)
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 03:28:40 AM »
Howdy Steve and WeatherCat mobile fans, . . . .

Before buying mine, I looked to see what I could find, and this was pretty much the only discussion I could find concerning getting data out of a Kestrel and into a Mac. Sounds painfully slow.

http://www.nkportal.com/knowledgecenter/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2967

Well, if you go through that thread one fellow reports success using Kestrel's own download program with VMware Fusion.  If that works, then the Mac hardware can clearly communicate successfully to the Kestrel . . . . .

;)  Now the first thing we've gotta do is get Stu to buy one . . . . . .  [lol2]

Doc

• Strong Breeze
  • Fly by night Eccentric
    • N9CXI
    • kinnindia
    • N9CXI Eastwood Indianapolis Indiana WX station
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, Mac mini, 2gig Ram 25tb storage, 1 weather web cams.
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 06:05:18 AM »
I was looking at these for my mobile weather station.  Some how I didn't feel they'd hold up very well while driving around on our Indiana side roads, some of which appear to have been peppered with bomb craters  [banghead]

Still it's a great unit and I'm glad to see more of this type of thing become available

[thunder] It's tornado season out there, do you know where your house was?  [thunder]

Doc
Take care and have fun!  Slainte Mah!

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 12:30:44 AM »
Happy Father's Day to me! The girls presented me with the Kestrel wind vane kit today, and a few weeks ago one of the Joby GorillaPods was on sale at Amazon, so I'm all set for my Kestrel to work as a portable weather station.

Thanks Chelsea and Claire!!!

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Congrats!! (Re: Kestrel 4500)
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 01:10:04 AM »
Howdy Steve and WeatherCat fans,

Happy Father's Day to me! The girls presented me with the Kestrel wind vane kit today, and a few weeks ago one of the Joby GorillaPods was on sale at Amazon, so I'm all set for my Kestrel to work as a portable weather station.

Congratulations!!  [tup]

Do hope you'll make a few trial runs with it out in the yard and take a few pics to educate the rest of us.  I'll be very interested to learn how you like it!

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 02:44:34 PM »
We just got back from a short vacation in the Great Smokey Mountain National Park. While there, we took the hike up Clingman's Dome to 6643 feet. (It was a lot harder this time, compared to 22 years ago!)

It was in the low 70s in Gatlinburg, but on top of the observation tower it was 55˚. I had my Kestrel with me, and my handheld reading showed winds of 14-17 MPH with a gust to 20 MPH. Lowest windchill I saw was 48˚.

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
I *WANT* one!!! (Re: Kestrel 4500)
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 09:56:44 PM »
Howdy Steve and WeatherCat fans,

It's not fair - I want one!!

But it will have to wait for other things to be resolved first . . . .

Doc

• Strong Breeze
  • Fly by night Eccentric
    • N9CXI
    • kinnindia
    • N9CXI Eastwood Indianapolis Indiana WX station
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, Mac mini, 2gig Ram 25tb storage, 1 weather web cams.
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 12:11:53 AM »
Steve, you should go over to Mt Mitchell, it's got a very nice tower at the top and would be a good place to try that out.  I wish I could do that, but the doctors have me permanently grounded below 2000 feet from now on.   :'(

But keep those pics coming, I love that view.

Doc
Take care and have fun!  Slainte Mah!

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 02:10:19 AM »
Doc, that was a ten hour drive. I don't plan on returning soon. ;) Wow, Pigeon Forge has changed. I hated it. Daughter said it was like Las Vegas without the gambling and hookers. :D
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA