General Category > General Discussion

Decompressing into Daylight Savings time?

(1/3) > >>

elagache:
Dear WeatherCat users who must suffer through the transition to Daylight Savings,

Whatever your feelings about Daylight Savings, the transition is a pain and potentially dangerous.  Some years ago, I decided to ease the transition by getting up 15 minutes earlier every 2 days.  It does help, but a more gradual transition certainly would be even easier on your body.  This year, I'm contemplating doubling the number of days at each "decompression stop."  That would take 12 days of adjusting to Daylight Savings starting this upcoming Tuesday.  Here is the scheme on a calendar:

Sunday, Feb-24Monday, Feb-25Tuesday, Feb-26
Wake up 15 minutes earlier
Wednesday, Feb-27
Thursday, Feb-28
Friday, Mar-1
Saturday, Mar-2
Wake up 30 minutes earlier
Sunday, Mar-3
Monday, Mar-4
Have lunch and dinner 1/2 hour earlier
Tuesday, Mar-5
Wednesday, Mar-6
Wake up 45 minutes earlier
Thursday, Mar-7
Friday, Mar-8
Saturday, Mar-9
Sunday, Mar-10
Start of Daylight Saving time - must get up 1 hour earlier

On this scheme I'm assuming that people have breakfast shortly after getting up as usual and there may be circumstances where moving meals up won't work (such as work imposed lunch-breaks.)  Still, taking 12 days to ease your way into Daylight Savings should be a lot easier to take than losing that hour of sleep cold turkey.

Obviously there are a myriad of potential variations, but it is an idea that I've found helpful and hope will be even gentler this year.

Cheers, Edouard   

P.S. Those in the know realize that Ash Wednesday is March-6.  So those of you who thought they were escaping penance, . . .  ya' see it all catches up with you one way or another!  lol(1)

The Grand Poohbah:
Edouard,

Have you found any studies on why some people are more sensitive to time changes than others? One really good example is "jet-lag". Some people recover quickly and others don't.

--grand

elagache:
Dear Grand and WeatherCat sufferers from time-zone disruption.

--- Quote from: The Grand Poohbah on February 25, 2019, 05:43:56 PM ---Have you found any studies on why some people are more sensitive to time changes than others? One really good example is "jet-lag". Some people recover quickly and others don't.
--- End quote ---

I found this article that appears to capture what little is known on the subject:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/165339.php

Basically they only have a vague idea of what the problem is and apparently have never made so much as an attempt to provide some sort relief even if they claim it is understood to have something to do with hormones.  It is quite surprising that so little has been done.  Certainly the military will need to deploy forces across time zones and it would be very much in their best interest to keep their troops in top fighting form.  Even diplomats and heads of state would definitely benefit from any sort of treatments that could developed.

So if you think that we have a basic understanding of our world - think again!  :o

Oh well, . . . . . Edouard

xairbusdriver:
It was extremely important to me and my fellow pilots (at an un-named, 'fly-by-night' airline)! We tended to solve the problem with seniority; as you grew more senior in a seat, you were able to avoid trans-continental and night time trips. But that can be a slow process as a company grows.

Blicj11:
Hey Grand, welcome home. How was the trip (aside from apparent jet lag)?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version