Author Topic: About the iOS App  (Read 104396 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Congrats and cats getting along? (Re: The first 24 hours)
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 01:06:35 AM »
Dear Grand Poohbah and WeatherCat fans,

It warms The Grand Poohbah's heart to see your enthusiasm for the App. Thank you.

But we are the ones who got the gift!!  [bounce]

An App's first 24 hours in the Apple App Store is always interesting, especially a free one. The WeatherCat App was downloaded 41 times from 11 countries. The US had the most downloads (24) with Saudi Arabia coming in second (4).

Really!?!?  We have a very diverse community of Weather Station folks, but I don't recall anyone reporting to have a station installed in Saudi Arabia.  Too bad they don't come out of the background and give us their Weather Underground info or something.  It would be interesting to see how WeatherCat performs under those sorts of extreme conditions.

Callie, the cat in the WeatherCat App, thanks you too.

Well now.  Does that mean we need another cat emoticon?  [cat]  So does Callie get along with Meg and Blackie?  You never know with cats!!  ;D

Thanks for the nifty iOS App again!!  [tup]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

john f hall

• Gentle Breeze
  • Australia - Come on down!
    • DW7251
    • IVICTORI146
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue, MacPro 2*Xeon, 16G, High Sierra 10.13.6
Re: About the iOS App
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 02:10:05 AM »
Hi All,

So pleased to find the WeatherCat App on the iTunes App Store I grabbed it, then wrote a review, and that's my first, ever.  [woohoo]

Fantastic work.

John

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 03:03:30 AM »
Hi John and WeatherCat (and client) fans!  [cat]

So pleased to find the WeatherCat App on the iTunes App Store I grabbed it, then wrote a review, and that's my first, ever.  [woohoo]

Well, I see this is your first post to the WeatherCat support forum.  So in that case . . .

Welcome!

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2012, 07:34:14 PM »
I've got the iOS client running on my home network, but I can't figure out how to get it to work outside the home. I found the information in the manual on page 88, but that's Greek to me. Care to elaborate with some step-by-step instructions?

I've got a no-ip.com account with a re-direct on my IP camera, but that was somewhat pre-setup, and I can't figure out how to apply those directions to the iOS client.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2012, 10:18:09 PM »
How do you connect to the internet Steve? If it's via a cable or ADSL modem, then there's typically a router connected to it - it's this router that can do the port forwarding to the machine running WeatherCat. Normally they have some kind of web interface you can use to configure it. It may be the modem/router is an all in one box - either way it'll normally have a management web interface which somewhere on it should have a page to configure the port forwarding.

Right, time for some zzzz's now - got an early start for the Grand Prix in the morning   ;D

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2012, 01:07:18 AM »
I'm on RoadRunner cable via an Airport Extreme. The Sharx IP camera had specific directions for how to use the Airport menu to connect to no-ip.com for my redirect using a small application that constantly checks my IP address and changes the no-ip.com redirect when one expires. I need to read through those instructions again and see if I can figure out how to use them to set a redirect for WeatherCat. The instructions are very specific to the Sharx camera settings menu and Airport.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2012, 10:31:07 AM »
Thanks Steve.

Here's a link that describes port forwarding on an Airport Extreme:
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=889

For people using a LinkSys, I've added a page to the Wiki on the setup:
http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/LinkSysE3200_Port_Forwarding
(This is for an E3200 but it should be the same for most current LinkSys's)

Cheers,
Stu.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2012, 03:59:37 PM »
Thanks Stu! I'll read through this and get it working.
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2012, 05:07:05 PM »
Here's a link that describes port forwarding on an Airport Extreme:
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=889

Well, that didn't help after all. Airport Utility in Lion looks absolutely nothing like the previous versions of Airport Utility. And even though I could find some relevant tabs, I have no idea what to set in any of the Public UDP, Public TCP, Private UDP and Private TCP ports. This is all just gibberish to me.

So while the iOS client is fantastic for here at home on my wifi network, it looks like you need to be very familiar with the inner workings of how to set up networks to use it elsewhere. Good thing I have the mobile version of my web site on my iPhone!

Thanks anyway,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
Connecting to the iOS App over the Internet
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2012, 09:29:32 PM »
Good thing I have the mobile version of my web site on my iPhone!

Thanks anyway,
Steve

Steve, How are you formatting your web site for display on an iPhone? Have you got some html that you can share?

--grand

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
ipwx is a Tigers template (Re: iOS App over the Internet)
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2012, 10:04:14 PM »
Hi Grand and WeatherCat fans,

Steve, How are you formatting your web site for display on an iPhone? Have you got some html that you can share?

I believe that Steve is using a modified version of the ipwx template that Todd Atkins (aka Tigers) came up with it.  Unfortunately we only provided a link to Todd's website on MacWeather and he has since removed the link. You could send Todd a PM and ask for it from him.

Steve has made some modifications to the original ipwx template to display the webcam.  I think I'm running Steve's variant on my website.  However, I think Todd was going to try to consolidate all the tweaks folks have made to his templates.

Hope this helps.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2012, 11:10:17 PM »
Your Grandmaster Poobahness,

Point your iPhone to www.avon-weather.com and it should detect it and display the mobile version. If it doesn't. just click on the "mobile" link at the bottom of the main page.

I'll try to get everything together in a packet if anyone wants to use it.
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 06:16:27 PM »
Has anyone figured out how to get the port forwarding working with the Airport Extreme on Lion? The new Airport Utility is nothing like previous versions, so any help I'm finding isn't much help.

Thanks,
Steve

[EDIT] One of our lurkers here on the forum was kind enough to send me a PM with a link to version 5.6 of Airport Utility that works on Lion. (I have version 6.0) Version 5.6 looks like the previous versions of Airport Utility, so now I can follow the instructions on how to get port forwarding going. Then I can use the iOS client and WeatherCatClient outside of my wifi network.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1482?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Thanks Jim!
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 08:34:40 PM »
Steve,

There is a section in the WeatherCat Wiki on Port Forwarding for WeatherCat Clients using LinkSys and Netgear routers. Please consider adding instructions for the Airport Extreme.

--grand

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
Re: Connecting to the iOS App over the Internet
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2012, 03:22:19 PM »

Sorry for the delay, but here's a link to the revised mobile web template.
http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=213.0

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA