Author Topic: Weather station installation examples  (Read 17304 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, MacBook Pro (Mid 2009)
Second the motion. (Re: Weather station installation)
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 09:32:56 PM »
Hi Charlie, Randall, and WeatherCat fans,

I second Randall's motion.  If your anemometer is high enough to get accurate wind data (and it looks like it does,) what else could you want?  I suppose you could secure your tripod a bit more "assertively" in case you get hit by some really high-winds.  However, what's the likelihood winds strong enough to tip over your tripod wouldn't damage some of the weather instruments?  Unless you've observed weather conditions that could threaten your setup, I agree:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Utah
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP™ Data Logger | iMac (late 2013), 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 24 GB RAM, macOS Sierra | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | Supportive Wife
Re: Weather station installation examples
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 09:07:54 PM »
I live at 8,300 feet (2,530 meters) in the Wasatch Mountains of Northern Utah. My Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus is mounted atop the swing set I built for the grandchildren. The anenometer is mounted on the top of my cabin on the end of a 3-meter pole which is bolted into the end of a glu-lam beam. This gets the wind cups about 2 meters above the highest point on my roof, which is about 12 meters above the ground. I ran 30 meters of exterior-grade, waterproof Cat5 cable up to my rooftop and spliced it into the anemometer. The other end is spliced into connector cable inside the ISS unit. I use the WeatherLinkIP™ data logger so I can place my Davis Console downstairs where I spend most  of my time. I display WeatherCat on the secondary display of my iMac. My most frequently used means of accessing my weather data is the WeatherCat app on my iPhone, followed by the WeatherCatPad app on my iPad. My next project is a weather webcam, pending approval of my CFO, to whom I have been happily married for almost 8 lustrums (4 decades).
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Thanks for sharing! (Re: Weather station installation)
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 10:18:04 PM »
Thanks Blick for sharing photos of your installation!

It is a very good idea to dedicate a second monitor just to WeatherCat.  That becomes the best console anyone could ever have!  [bounce]

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
Re: Weather station installation examples
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 10:50:16 PM »
Good job, Blick! Very nice set up.
Herb

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • EW7118
    • KTXLEWIS26
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Soil Temp/Moist
Station Setup
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2016, 11:41:52 AM »
I don't have a lot of photos of my setup, and being on a trip right now, I can't take any currently. However, here is my station and the post I put it on. The console connects to a Meteobridge which runs my meteobridge saratoga site here. WeatherCat finds the IP of the meteobridge and treats it like it is a Weatherlink IP connection. The computer that runs WeatherCat and my main weather site is a 2011 iMac.

A clear conscience is a great pillow.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Thanks for sharing. (Re: Station Setup)
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2016, 10:37:03 PM »
Dear Toby and WeatherCat instrument placement consultants, . . .

I don't have a lot of photos of my setup, and being on a trip right now, I can't take any currently. . . . .

[wink] . . . . Golly!  When I made the suggestion that you post some pictures of your station it wasn't like it was a an order and ASAP!! . . . . [biggrin]

Seriously thanks for sharing.  If when you get back home you decide to edit this post to add a few more details that would be just fine.