Author Topic: First launch warning won't go away  (Read 7248 times)

senorwx

• Gentle Breeze
    • KNHKEENE28
  • Station Details: Davis VantagePro2 - iMac 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 6 GB Memory - OS X v 10.13.6
First launch warning won't go away
« on: June 21, 2012, 03:18:31 PM »
I shut down and reboot my iMac running WeatherCat each day.

Since downloading Version 1.01 Build 133 (1.0.1), I get an alert upon reboot about "this is a program downloaded from the internet, do you want to open it"... as though it was the first use. Of course, it hangs there until a human shows up to dismiss it.

Anyone else notice this. In the alternative, how can I get rid of the alert?

Thanks!

Curt

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: First launch warning won't go away
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 04:37:07 PM »
Hi Curt,
Is it the same with build 143? ( http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=321.0 )

[Edit: Anybody else seeing this - I've tried here and can't reproduce it]

Cheers,
Stu.

senorwx

• Gentle Breeze
    • KNHKEENE28
  • Station Details: Davis VantagePro2 - iMac 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 6 GB Memory - OS X v 10.13.6
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 06:38:08 PM »
I'll give it a try later today and get back to you Stu. Thanks!

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 07:48:09 PM »
Hi Stu and Cat Fans
 Stu it did it on the first 2 times I restarted WC but is OK now
 [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Think it's an OS-X bug (Re: First launch warning won't go away)
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 10:50:49 PM »
Howdy Curt, Stu, Randall, and WeatherCat fans,

Since downloading Version 1.01 Build 133 (1.0.1), I get an alert upon reboot about "this is a program downloaded from the internet, do you want to open it"... as though it was the first use. Of course, it hangs there until a human shows up to dismiss it.

This happens to me from time to time on more than one program.  Usually after running the program a few times it stops asking this absurd question.  I'm reasonably sure that this is a OS-X bug.  Must be some database that isn't getting updated correctly somehow.  Eventually your Mac "gets the message" and stops "baby-sitting" you.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

HairyMcLeary

• Strong Breeze
    • DW5912
    • INORTHOT6
  • Station Details: LaCrosse WS2355, iMac 2.66 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, Mountain Lion
Re: Think it's an OS-X bug (Re: First launch warning won't go away)
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 02:54:45 AM »

This happens to me from time to time on more than one program.  Usually after running the program a few times it stops asking this absurd question.  I'm reasonably sure that this is a OS-X bug.  Must be some database that isn't getting updated correctly somehow.  Eventually your Mac "gets the message" and stops "baby-sitting" you.

I've noticed this behaviour with other programmes, but not with WC. I also suspect it to be an OS-X bug.

Tony

senorwx

• Gentle Breeze
    • KNHKEENE28
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 04:44:20 AM »
Hi Curt,
Is it the same with build 143? ( http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=321.0 )

Cheers,
Stu.

Stu et al -

It happened on the first two launches with Build 143. Launch the third and subsequent times has been fine.

I seem to recall now that some other OS X programs may have displayed the "first launch" alert more than once, but never as persistently as with Build 133. Probably is an operating system bug.

Thanks for the input and help!

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 08:58:26 PM »
Thanks folks - one thing that might be confusing things is the signing required for 10.8 (and possibly 10.7 in the future) - since V1.0.1 build 133 we've been signed with an Apple certificate and it's possible some OS versions are having a bit of trouble understanding/digesting it.

Stu.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Corporate decision "indigestion" (Re: First launch warning)
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 12:47:08 AM »
Howdy Stu and WeatherCat fans,

Thanks folks - one thing that might be confusing things is the signing required for 10.8 (and possibly 10.7 in the future) - since V1.0.1 build 133 we've been signed with an Apple certificate and it's possible some OS versions are having a bit of trouble understanding/digesting it.

Well, that's perfectly understandable . . . . . . I'm having a hard time understanding/digesting Apple's current security strategy myself!!  ::)

Oh well, grin and bear it!

Doc

• Strong Breeze
  • Fly by night Eccentric
    • N9CXI
    • kinnindia
    • N9CXI Eastwood Indianapolis Indiana WX station
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, Mac mini, 2gig Ram 25tb storage, 1 weather web cams.
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 05:01:14 AM »
OK, here's what's happening on my system.  Trying to run 1.0.1 Finale on my system.  Everything is currently working, CWOP and Wunderground uploads are working fine, and all sensors and such are also running fine.

I am having to enter my password each time I start the program.

I am also unable to do any FTP uploads, the password is not being saved and the uploads are being refused.  I can enter the password, test the password, get an OK, but when I'm done, the password is gone and I don't get any uploading to my site.

Help?

Doc
Take care and have fun!  Slainte Mah!

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 10:31:03 AM »
Hi Doc,
That sounds like it isn't understanding the signing at all - go back to build 88 (beta 3), it should be fine. I think I'll have to do two builds - one for 10.6 and later and one for 10.5 (it is 10.5 you're running?).

Stu.

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 12:44:49 PM »
Hi Doc and Stu
 That happened to me a while back and had to replace my preference file to get it running smoothly again
 [cheers1]

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 05:25:36 PM »
Hi Doc/Randall,
Could be Randall but it's a bit coincidental that it happened when I changed the signing :)

I've uploaded a new build for you to try Doc (Build 144) - get it at:
http://athena.trixology.com/downloads/WeatherCat101B144.zip

This is signed the old way - give a try and let me know if that was the problem.

Stu.

Doc

• Strong Breeze
  • Fly by night Eccentric
    • N9CXI
    • kinnindia
    • N9CXI Eastwood Indianapolis Indiana WX station
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, Mac mini, 2gig Ram 25tb storage, 1 weather web cams.
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 10:30:55 PM »
Hi Doc/Randall,
Could be Randall but it's a bit coincidental that it happened when I changed the signing :)

I've uploaded a new build for you to try Doc (Build 144) - get it at:
http://athena.trixology.com/downloads/WeatherCat101B144.zip

This is signed the old way - give a try and let me know if that was the problem.

Stu.

Stu, thanks, downloaded it fine, installed and now WC is working again.  The FTP uploads are working, the password stays in memory and works.  And I don't have to enter the password or authorize WC each time I run it. 

Great Job

Doc
Take care and have fun!  Slainte Mah!

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 08:52:34 AM »
Thanks for the info Doc  [tup]

Looks like we'll have to have two releases, one for 10.5 and one for 10.6 or later.

Stu.