Author Topic: weather station has stopped uploading data to weather underground  (Read 3252 times)

CCWxWatcher

• Calm
    • EW6058
    • KMAEFALM2 & KMAFALMO21
  • Station Details: DAVIS VANTAGEPRO WIRELESS; IMAC
My weather station has stopped uploading data to weather underground on October 16, 2018 @ 4:58 EDST. WeatherCat is not attempting to send any reports to WU although it indicates "current status  = Running. This setup has been uploading to WU for many years without an difficulty. I am using a DavisPro weather station, iMac, and weather cat software, all with latest updates. It is uploading data to CWOP without interruption.

A few minutes ago I switched to WeatherSnoop, latest updated software and it is uploading data to both WU and CWOP. I prefer using WeatherCat software. Any suggestions as to what may be wrong? Thanks

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
Re: weather station has stopped uploading data to weather underground
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 08:38:49 AM »
Strange one... should work (as you say). Have you tried the typical steps to try and breathe some life into it again?

- stop and restart the process
- reboot and restart WC
- change the settings (e.g. set the update rate to 5 mins) and deselect the 'Log Sent Data' option

FWIW: this is what my settings look like.

Jos

wvdkuil

• Strong Breeze
    • DW8113 (D8113)
    • IVLAAMSG47
    • Weatherstation Wilsele/Leuven/Belgium
  • Station Details: VantagePro2+ UV,Solar - Macbook/Mini
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 08:51:37 AM »
There are changes for "RapidFire" updates which could be the cause of the problem. 
Could you first test with "RapidFire" not selected?
Just using the "slow'" 1 or 2 minutes updates.

Wim
Support of Leuven-Template&Scripts: https://support.leuven-template.eu/
Support and demo for the PWS_Dashboard (also for WeatherCat)  https://pwsdashboard.com/ 
My PWS at home https://weer.sluispark.be/
And at my daughters house https://www.weerstation-herent.be/

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 09:51:18 PM »
Dear CCWxWatcher, Jos, Wim, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

Since i see this is your first posting, welcome to the WeatherCat forum CCWxWatcher!

My weather station has stopped uploading data to weather underground on October 16, 2018 @ 4:58 EDST. WeatherCat is not attempting to send any reports to WU although it indicates "current status  = Running. This setup has been uploading to WU for many years without an difficulty. I am using a DavisPro weather station, iMac, and weather cat software, all with latest updates. It is uploading data to CWOP without interruption.
. . . .

You have been given some good suggestions to start with.  One other thing to check is to make sure that you can log into your Weather Underground account without difficulty.  There has been some problems with Weather Underground not accepting passwords that were okay in the past.  You might try changing your Weather Underground password and see if this resolves the problem.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 10:55:35 AM »
Some good suggestions above, in addition, try turning off historical uploads and waiting a few minutes to see if it resumes real time uploads. If no good, the problem may be preferences file related - try replacing it. To do this, first make sure WeatherCat isn't running and then access your preferences folder by using the Finder's Go->Go To Folder... menu command and enter:
~/Library/Preferences/

Scroll down the list of preferences files until you find the one named:
com.trixology.weathercat.plist

Delete (or rename) this file then reboot the machine and launch WeatherCat. The reboot after removing the old preferences file is very important - without this, the old settings will be cached in RAM and reused when WeatherCat relaunches.

Also note that many of your settings will be reset to defaults/cleared so make a note of any settings you?ll need to re-enter/change when the settings have been reset (such as your latitude/longitude).

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 04:10:04 PM »
Also note that many of your settings will be reset to defaults/cleared so make a note of any settings you?ll need to re-enter/change when the settings have been reset (such as your latitude/longitude).

For this reason, many of us duplicate the com.trixology.weathercat.plist file (once you know it is good) and store it for a future need to replace the old one. It is much easier to have a good working copy of that file than to have to go back in and remember to put all of your settings back the way you want them. This will NOT help you this time, because you need to make sure you have a good plist file first. But for next time you have to re-create your plist file:
  • Shut down WeatherCat
  • Locate and delete com.trixology.weathercat.plist
  • Empty trash
  • Rename com.trixology.weathercat.plist copy to com.trixology.weathercat.plist
  • Restart your computer
  • Restart Weather Cat
  • Make another duplicate copy
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear CCWxWatcher, Stu, Blick, and WeatherCat cautious sys-admins,

For this reason, many of us duplicate the com.trixology.weathercat.plist file (once you know it is good) and store it for a future need to replace the old one. It is much easier to have a good working copy of that file than to have to go back in and remember to put all of your settings back the way you want them. This will NOT help you this time, because you need to make sure you have a good plist file first.

There is no guarantees, but if you run Time Machine (or some other backup software that can retrieve a single file,) you could try replacing com.trixology.weathercat.plist with an older version of this file before your problems started.  That is a lot less hassle than having to put all your preferences back into WeatherCat.  I also have made a separate backup copy of the com.trixology.weathercat.plist file because this happening more often since macOS 10.10 Yosemite.

If you attempt to restore this file from backup, you must still follow Blick's instructions to the letter.  If you don't, you will simply have macOS put back the corrupted information into the file you had gone to so much trouble to restore from backup.

Cheers, Edouard