Author Topic: MOVIE$ - Makes multiple .mov  (Read 2436 times)

beachboy

• Gentle Breeze
    • KORSISTE52
    • BayshoreBeachBoy
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO 2 - iMac / WMR200 - rasperberry pi (weewx)
MOVIE$ - Makes multiple .mov
« on: November 30, 2017, 12:03:50 AM »
I have "Create Daily Movies" checked on the "Webcam" tab and am getting a new .mov created every hour in app support (see attachment), Is this expected behavior? Because of some Mac crashes I have not yet run a full day but I expected (possibly Incorrectly) to have each new .jpg appended.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: MOVIE$ - Makes multiple .mov
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 01:00:47 AM »
Yes, that's exactly what should be happening. ;)

Note the figures at the end of each file name except for the last one. "_00_19" is the time WC crated the first mov file of the day: 19 minutes after midnight. "_01_09" = 1:09 am and so on. The current file without those figures/numbers, is the file under construction. The image you posted shows that it will become the "WeatherCat..._15_09.mov". All this happens according to your settings on WC Prefs.

If you'll check The Manual (pages 174 -176 has all the details ThU32:-) ), you will also find that you can set the time for how long these .mov files are kept. This allows you to avoid filling your hard drive with past .mov files. :)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

beachboy

• Gentle Breeze
    • KORSISTE52
    • BayshoreBeachBoy
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 05:41:00 PM »
Thanks! I'll work with it and see how it goes.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 08:14:32 PM »
Great! I know it looks like a lot of space being used, but it only uses up to the max amount you ask for and then pretty much stops growing. :)

I have my prefs set to save a weeks worth of movies, I have no idea why I chose that! [rolleyes2] I'm two layzy too edit mye speling...  [banghead] [blush]

beachboy

• Gentle Breeze
    • KORSISTE52
    • BayshoreBeachBoy
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 12:23:18 AM »
I've changed my capture interval to 2 min. rather than 30 Min. and that makes more sense.

Also -  Does anyone have thoughts on a good format for Windows/IE? I'm trying to do (a simple) automation using ffmpeg for my Windows users. .mp4 and .avi don't seem to have the quality of .mov.

Thanks again

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Try adjusting .MP4 generation parameters (Re: MOVIE$ - Makes multiple .mov)
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 12:33:49 AM »
Dear beachboy and WeatherCat cinematographers,

Also -  Does anyone have thoughts on a good format for Windows/IE? I'm trying to do (a simple) automation using ffmpeg for my Windows users. .mp4 and .avi don't seem to have the quality of .mov.

The MPEG-4 format is a compression format in which you can decide how much quality you want.  You should try adjusting the MPEG parameters if you aren't getting .mp4 files to your liking.  It might be easier to experiment using a tool like Handbrake in order to explore with the available parameters.

https://handbrake.fr/

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

beachboy

• Gentle Breeze
    • KORSISTE52
    • BayshoreBeachBoy
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 12:36:34 AM »
Thanks, I'll give both ideas a try.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 11:32:47 PM »
For a few months, I had both the WC created QuickTime movie and an mp6 files running on my Weather Cam page. I could see no difference in the quality, even when using full-screen. The main difference was the speed they loaded! The mp4 was usually finished with the movie by the time the .mov file started! And that was on Safari, which should be able to handle .mov files better than any other PC. Obviously the files are smaller and that helps in up and downloading, I was surprised at how much faster the displaying was, however. [banghead]

I've switched to uploading only mp4 files. This decreases the uploading efforts of WC. I still get FTP Overload ererz about once a week, however. I was advised to follow the "If it ain't broken any worse than that, just ignore it" technique. I'm also applying that technique to some other minor problems and it has decreased my my blood pressure and frustration levels nicely. cmu:-)

I use a (paid) converter app that simply watches the folder that WC normally uses and automatically converts it to mp4. I'm fairly sure Handbrake can be enabled to do this with "folder actions" enabled. Just never had time to learn the rather technical details and setup of HB.

I then have a simple Automator app that renames it and uploads it. Lastly, I have a couple of LaunchAgents that up that clean up the directories, deleting any files in it so it is ready for another file in the next hour. That also helps when Comcast breaks its connect to the interweb; twice this week! [banghead]

I use another LaunchAgent to Quit and Restart the converter app once a week, just in case there is a memory leak! Otherwise, that app is running 24/7.

I don't trust Apple to maintain QuickTime much longer. I'm not sure how long plugins for it will be available, either.