Author Topic: Avoid having more than one copy of the same application.  (Read 2258 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Avoid having more than one copy of the same application.
« on: May 01, 2012, 10:31:16 PM »
Dear WeatherCat AppleScript fans,

This advice is old but needs to be repeated.  Try to never have more than one copy of the same AppleScript application.  Actually the advise is universal, it isn't even a good idea to have say two different versions of WeatherCat application on your hard drive.  The problem is that the Finder can confuse the versions and launch one that isn't current.  AppleScript's requesting data often cause the wrong application to be launched.

This can be a problem for those of us involved in beta testing (of WeatherCat or anything else.)  To avoid the problem, compress any archival copies you want to keep around.  If you need to compare two things like an old and newer AppleScript don't keep both around for long.  Once you've made your comparison, place the unwanted copy in the trash and empty the trash!  If you don't empty the trash, the Finder can still insist upon trying to launch the version in the trash and generate an error instead of your desired result.

Hopefully some prudent advice that will nip problems before they get started!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
It'll kill'ya! (Re: more than one copy of the same application.)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 03:21:50 PM »
Dear WeatherCat users,

Wanted to repeat this advice because JC ran into this problem with the WeatherCat application files.  It is a very bad idea to have multiple versions of the same program on your hard drive - especially any program that AppleScript uses.  Apparently AppleScript will "remember" the first application file it uses for scripting and won't find anything you update.  So if you upgrade your WeatherCat file, but leave the old version on your hard drive.  When AppleScripts start, they'll launch the old version even if you have a newer one installed.

Probably no reason to keep beta copies of WeatherCat now that version 1.0 is out.  However, when beta testing starts again, keep your archive copies of WeatherCat compressed to make sure that "dim-witted" AppleScript doesn't make a mistake that will make ya miserable.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Ditto (Re: Avoid having more than one copy of the same application.)
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 08:56:22 PM »
Dear WeatherCat AppleScript fans,

Believe if or not this has happened to me again.  I goofed and had multiple copies of my AppleScripts on my hard drive because of various testing and release versions.  When I moved to my new MacBook Pro, I sure was getting strange errors when the AppleScript would automatically be launched by WeatherCat.  Silly me, I can 3 different copies of my scripts on the hard drive.

So if my AppleScripts start behaving strangely, checking for multiple copies of them on your hard drive should near the top of your trouble-shooting list.