Author Topic: Weather Underground Radar  (Read 4949 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Weather Underground Radar
« on: August 16, 2016, 01:06:06 AM »
Today I notice that WU Radar has gone a bit wonky on us. Default layers are gone, along with on-screen controls for animation. Drill down details and the ability to add the legend to the radar map are all gone. I checked a few of your sites on WU and it's the same for at least the US WeatherCatters I checked. Hopefully we'll wake up in the morning and all will be returned.

As long as we're dreaming, how about waking up to discover that we have two different candidates for President in the States; that would be nice.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
WU upgrades in the works. (Re: Weather Underground Radar )
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 07:02:58 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat dreamers or sufferers of nightmares, . . . .

Today I notice that WU Radar has gone a bit wonky on us. Default layers are gone, along with on-screen controls for animation. Drill down details and the ability to add the legend to the radar map are all gone. I checked a few of your sites on WU and it's the same for at least the US WeatherCatters I checked. Hopefully we'll wake up in the morning and all will be returned.

I just checked Wondermap and it reported that some functionality was missing because of upgrades that were underway.  So hopefully what you are seeing is part of that.

As long as we're dreaming, how about waking up to discover that we have two different candidates for President in the States; that would be nice.

No kiddin'  How I wish the present nightmare would miraculously go away . . . .  :(

Oh well,
. . . . . Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Weather Underground Radar
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 07:10:33 PM »
Here is the message they are showing today at WU Radar.
Blick

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Blick's Dream Re: Weather Underground Radar
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 07:18:53 PM »
Blick and Edouard here's your chance run for President I will vote for you or one of ya  [lol2] cheers

[cheers1]

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 09:17:54 PM »
I found the issues with Wundermap during our rainstorm. That was a bit frustrating. It showed up with the map centered over Florida. Later I found that it always starts there, now. You can use the search to quickly go to your area, if you have your own station set as a Favorite. It appears that many features, including some menu selections, are yet unimplemented. The Radar in Motion feature is activated by a small arrow in the upper right corner, but on the map. Not the control panel.

There is a "Keep Favorites visible on map" toggle under the Favorite menu, but it's self cancelling, and a little unclear if it even works.

It appears to me that they found the code they inherited to be too complex to fix, so they decided it would be easier to start over with a new Wundermap code. This is apparently the first beta release. Probably the reason they jumped into it so soon, is that there were many design flaws in the old code that would overwhelm the servers during storm events when a lot of people would be logging on at the same time. Many of the controls made huge demands on the servers, such as zooming in and out with the mouse wheel, and were more suited for local storage operation and not network storage operation.

I suppose IBM is in charge now. If they can't fix it, then no one can.

My assessment of the election: Trump is a novice politician, so he lets his mouth get him into trouble sometimes. Hillary I could write a book about. Unless her and Bill release an audit of the Clinton Foundation, I'm voting for Trump.

[cheers1]
Herb

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 12:31:35 AM »
Motion feature is activated by a small arrow in the upper right corner
A clue! [banghead]
I guess I'm looking at the WU radar display from my own site rather than from the generic WU site or even my WU 'page'. I have no idea what you guys are talking about. OTOH, that's the 'state' that I often live in... [rolleyes2]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 05:09:24 AM »
Lol! Try it with your web browser. I believe it's called Safari?

[cheers1]
Herb

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 06:21:39 PM »
Yeah, that's the only way I view my web site. I just click one of the four square images at the bottom of my 'home' page to see WU Regional radar, my local radar (courtesy of WU), the Windyty display for the area, and the Blitzotung.org lightening display for the US. All those images are links to new pages for those sites.

I think what you are talking about is "Wonder Map" which I've never even seen until today. <rant>So far, I'm not impressed. Nice map but I'd like to get rid of the whole layers list unless I need to change it. Unlike apparently 99.999% of computer users, I do not use full screen mode for any app, so wasting space with un-needed stuff is not indicative of viewer concerns/desires. "Menus" (in many different formats/arrangements) are the way to handle things like that. Apple introduced unobtrusive menus several decades ago... they are only covering the important stuff while you use them, the rest of the time they hide in the menu bar.</rant> [banghead] Perhaps there's a toggle somewhere. I only found the 'animate' toggle after looking at the screen for several minutes. [rolleyes2]

BTW, I sometimes check how things display in FF, Chrome (3 versions), Opera, as well as Safari mobile. You never know when you want to see the radar and it's nice to know how hot it is at home when your on vacation in Canada! [tup]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
The underlying paradox is . . . . (Was: Weather Underground Radar)
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 10:51:25 PM »
Dear Blick, Randall, and WeatherCat armchair philosophers, . . .

Blick and Edouard here's your chance run for President I will vote for you or one of ya  [lol2]

I can't speak for Blick, but I absolutely don't want anything to do with the job!

The country and the world are in such a mess that anyone trying to be president is basically taking on a mission impossible.  It is precisely the sort of job nobody in his/her right mind should actually look forward to taking on.

Given that both presidential candidates do appear to want the job, there appears to be no rational alternative but to lock both of them in an insane asylum!  Obviously neither one seems able to distinguish reality from fantasy!  :o

In the voice of Jimmy Durante:  "Such are da' conditions that prevail . . . . "

Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
Re: The underlying paradox is . . . . (Was: Weather Underground Radar)
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 11:04:42 PM »
Given that both presidential candidates do appear to want the job, there appears to be no rational alternative but to lock both of them in an insane asylum! 

Ha ha ha ha. It's true, darn it.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 11:09:25 PM »
I'll contribute to that fund! I'll even volunteer to hide, I mean, store the key! [tup] [rockon]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
In a crisis like this . . . . . (Was: Weather Underground Radar )
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 08:18:03 PM »
Dear Blick, X-Air, and responsible citizens with . . . . a sense of humor!

[wink] . . . I'm afraid with the country in this condition we cannot even turn to Betty Boop.  There is only character who can save us now . . . .

Bugs Bunny for President!!
. . .  [lol2]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2016, 04:49:07 PM »
Here is the popup message from WU Radar this morning. Regardless of the message, they still have a along way to go, but have made some progress.
Blick