Author Topic: CyberPower UPS  (Read 2476 times)

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
CyberPower UPS
« on: February 14, 2016, 05:28:49 AM »
I just bought two CyberPower 1500 UPS units from Amazon and so far, I'm really happy with them. One is dedicated to the iMac running WeatherCat and the display is set to sleep after one minute of being on UPS power. At that setting, the computer will run for over an hour. The second UPS has all the peripherals attached: Raid Box, Backup drive, Meteobridge, Davis Console, VoIP phone, Airport Extreme, and network switch. It too, will run about 70 minutes. Even if the units are being overly optimistic about the times, even half of those times would be fantastic to get me through a typical city power outage.

I got a couple more smaller UPS units to run things like the water softener (if the power goes off during a regen cycle, the valve will stick open and dump hundreds of gallons of water down the drain) and the cable modem. Some ISP's power their network down stream even during a power outage, and some don't. If ours does, then the website and wunderground uploads will continue for around an hour. I feel better about having all this stuff protected and powered, but this pretty much means we won't ever lose power again . . .
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: CyberPower UPS
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 05:36:22 AM »
What is your opinion now that you've had these more than a year? I'm thinking about replacing my APC units and trying to decide if their premium pricing is worth it. I've got a couple of 10-year-old APC BR1500LCD units, which they don't make any longer. I have replaced the batteries in them twice and am looking to get new units. I would appreciate any input from my fellow WeatherCatters on UPS battery backups.
Blick

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
Going Strong
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 05:57:20 AM »
After a year, my two units are going strong without any hiccups or problems. I'd recommend them still. However, I don't think you can go wrong with CyberPower or APC, so check Amazon prices and see what deals you can find.

dfw
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 02:01:48 PM »
I have two of them. One on my wife's computer, mine also controls the modem and all my stuff.  I like that they fit on the desk.
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 05:48:59 PM »
I'm happy with my 2 CyberPower UPS units. I bought them at the Costco store. The price was better than Amazon's price.

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 06:40:41 PM »
Can't complain about my APC unit (APC Back-UPS Pro 900).
Reinhard