Author Topic: Meteobridge PRO  (Read 3929 times)

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
Meteobridge PRO
« on: January 12, 2016, 12:17:36 AM »
Looks really sweet. I currently use a classic flashed version of Meteobridge and love it, but this thing looks really good.

Meteobridge PRO

Here's the data sheet.

Better start saving my pennies . . .
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
Meteobridge PRO *UPDATE*
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 08:33:47 AM »
Well, I can see this was a really hot topic around here.

I ordered a Meteobridge Pro to try it out and to see if I would eventually get rid of my standard Meteobridge. You all know that I'm a huge fan of the Meteobridge to connect a Davis to WeatherCat. It's robust, can populate its own website, uses very little energy, and most importantly, it will connect a Davis data logger to WeatherCat without the use of a crappy usb driver that always seems to fail and cause problems when it needs to be updated.

What I really like about the Meteobridge Pro is that it has its own antenna to grab the data right of the ISS without the need of the Davis console. This is great because the Davis console can fail or quit working, but the Meteo Pro will keep on recording data right off the ISS. It worked really well, but there were two hitches that I didn't care for. The Meteobridge Pro still requires the use of a usb data logger if you want it to also feed data to a program like WeatherCat, which increases the cost of the unit by another ~$110 if you don't already have one. Also, the unit is very small and the internal temp/barometer seem to be off a bit more than I like.

In the end, I sent it back, because I was under the impression that by connecting it via ethernet to my computer, I could also get rid of the usb data logger, however, that isn't the case. The internal temperature sensor also showed that my office temp was 119F and I'm too pedantic to find that acceptable.

It is a nice unit, and has a lot of cool features, like an external display that will rotate through wx station data, but in the end, I felt like it was too much money compared to the original Meteobridge. I highly recommend using a Meteobridge and I'll say it again: if you are sick of USB driver issues, you can solve those problems with a little Meteo!

dfw

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Meteobridge PRO
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 02:47:24 PM »
Thanks for sharing. This morning I reread everything on the Meteobridge website. It's very interesting. I connect my Davis to Weathercat via an IP data logger, which does not use a driver. The data logger can be connected via cable into a wired ethernet port or to an Apple Airport Express. Since USB connectivity is not an issue for me, what other advantages would I gain by using the Meteobridge to connect to WC? Also, do you not run WeatherCat 24/7?
Blick

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
IP vs USB
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 06:11:01 PM »
On price, I think the two options are about the same, roughly. If you flash (create) your own Meteobridge, buy the license and add the USB logger, it's around $200, and I think that's about the same price for the IP logger. Similarly, the Meteo will allow you to place your console anywhere you want because the Meteo (which is just a wifi router with new software on it) connects to a network, either via ethernet, wifi, or creating its own wifi network.

For me, where the extra value comes in, is the extra horsepower and ability that the Meteo software brings to create a standalone web site, without the need of a computer running 24/7. For many people, WXCat, WXDisplay, and other programs are nice, but the need to run a computer all the time can be a show stopper. I do indeed run my iMac 24/7 because neighbors use my WXCat website and I like the thought of it always being out there and available. However, even though I've protected the components with UPS power backups, there is still a limit to how long the site will be up in the event of a power failure. Also, my web host tends to go down for a few minutes a week, for unknown reasons.

With the Meteo, a full site can be run, like mine here, and it uses very little power or bandwidth to do so, for those who care about such things. In the end, I started with the Meteo because I didn't want to run my computer all the time, but I finally succumbed to the power of the dark side Weather Cat. If one already has the IP logger, I don't see a reason to switch, but if one is just starting out, the Meteo with USB logger is a great option over the stand alone USB and all the trials it causes.

Apologies for the ramble!

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 06:35:20 PM »
my web host tends to go down for a few minutes a week, for unknown reasons.
I hope you don't have to pay for that kind of "service"! [rolleyes2] I actually don't remember ever having either of my sites (or the one I maintained for my previous church) go down. That involves two different hosting companies, BTW. I have had email interruptions, but not web access problems. OTOH, there may have been times that someone could not access a site and I never knew about it. Perhaps your host just has better or more honest reporting ethics! :)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 06:38:51 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to explain your setup DFW. I appreciate your helping me understand why you are a Meteobridge fan and why you sent the Pro back.
Blick

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
Ethics
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 06:40:28 PM »
The web host is definitely not sharing this info with me! I also run several installs of WordPress on my host. One of the Jetpack options within WordPress is an automated check to see if the site goes down. I get an e-mail at least once a week saying that the site is down, and then another one two minutes later saying the site is back up. The check that WordPress is doing is legit, because as soon as I get the e-mail, if I check my main host domain, it is indeed unresponsive. However, these are usually just a minute or two once or twice a week. I agree with you: it probably happens to a lot of sites on shared hosting, they just aren't noticing it.

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
Thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 06:41:25 PM »
Thanks Blicj11! I hope it helps someone, someday.