Author Topic: SMTP and Password settings for Apple and iCloud email  (Read 4607 times)

Duncan's Grove

• Calm
    • KTXSUGAR13
    • Duncan's Grove
  • Station Details: Station: Ambient WS-2080; iMac 27" 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 32GB ram, Yosemite
SMTP and Password settings for Apple and iCloud email
« on: June 13, 2015, 02:33:00 AM »
Here's how Apple solved my challenge with connecting my Apple email (iCloud) account to Weathercat in the email preferences pane. First, for the SMTP server name we used this: p08-smtp.mail.me.com. Second, your regular iCloud password will not work with WeatherCat because their preferences window is not set up to accommodate or accept iCloud's use of two-signature authentication. The only solution is to sign in to "manage my Apple ID" and generate what Apple terms an "app-specific password" that you can then use exclusively for WeatherCat. Enter this app-specific password in the preferences pane (instead of your regular iCloud password) and everything works perfectly. Note: WeatherCat either needs to update their email preferences to work with iCloud mail, or at a minimum, train their tech support group to be able to help Apple users with Apple Mail/iCloud email. Their tech support's recommended solution to me was to ask for a refund of my purchase price. Kudos to Apple tech support (although it took a Senior advisor!).

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: SMTP and Password settings for Apple and iCloud email
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 06:22:03 AM »
Thanks for posting a solution - and welcome to the WeatherCat forum.
Blick

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 10:37:33 AM »
Helpful post! I had the same problem but just used a 'brute force' solution...a non-Apple e-mail. 

Second Blick's warm welcome!

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 05:53:17 PM »
Thanks! I've been sorry, more than once, since setting up Apple's version of two factor authentication. I have to remind myself how much happier I am with this "safer" method and that I'm not still in the military, or FBI, or any other US Government employee database... [rolleyes2]

In fairness to "WeatherCat tech", I imagine Stu has simply not become acquainted with this two-factor behavior. AFAIK, he is the president, CEO, accounting, sales, tech support and development department, and chief bottle washer for the whole WeatherCat operation. Apparently he does this with only two arms and hands! :o Hopefully, he'll see your post/solution and manage to edit the User Manual, which he also writes and edits...
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome and common alternative (Re: SMTP and Password settings)
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 10:57:34 PM »
Dear Duncan's Grove, Blick, Felix, X-Air and WeatherCat system admins,

Let me jump on the welcome wagon as well!!

As to why WeatherCat hasn't jumped to Apple's new security specs there is probably a simpler explanation.  Most of us have a website and therefore a web hosting provider.  Usually you get an email with such services, so it makes more sense to use a dedicated email for WeatherCat related messages.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on a MacMini (2009) Mac OS 10.11.6
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 06:38:15 PM »
I set up a gmail account which I use expressly for WeatherCat and other weather related services. I have administrative emails from WeatherCat, e.g. sensor failure or the like, automatically forwarded to my personal email.

Duncan's Grove

• Calm
    • KTXSUGAR13
    • Duncan's Grove
  • Station Details: Station: Ambient WS-2080; iMac 27" 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 32GB ram, Yosemite
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 06:41:56 PM »
WeatherCat tech support has advised me they are in process of updating the manual with the solution for those people who want to use their existing Apple Mail iCloud email accounts rather than needing to set up another email account.

Chet

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW1987
    • IBADENWU20
  • Station Details: Davis Vue, iMac OS X, Catalina
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 01:43:45 PM »
I had to remove the p08 from the smtp setting and then it worked.
Chet
Castle Rock Colorado