Author Topic: Wunderground Webcam  (Read 4982 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Wunderground Webcam
« on: October 06, 2014, 05:29:16 PM »
This morning I am playing around with a webcam. In WeatherCat Preferences | On-Line | Wunderground WPS I enabled Upload Webcam Image and entered my WU Camera ID. The FTP was unsuccessful. It appears there is a problem with the WU username and/or password. I know the camera ID is correct. Any ideas on what could be causing this? See attached screen shot of log.
Blick

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: Wunderground Webcam
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 06:34:00 PM »
This is the exact error you'll get if the camera ID is wrong - it's case sensitive, also make sure you only have alphanumeric characters in your camera ID.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 07:04:57 PM »
Right you are!

Stu, do you remember when Joz Baz and I reported that the Manual Override fields in the Current Conditions Calculator were greyed out and appeared to be non-editable, but they were in actual fact editable? This is exactly what happened to me when I was entering the WU Camera ID. Whilst I was adding the Camera ID, both the Camera ID field and the Update Rate field greyed out and could not be edited. However, I selected the field anyway, edited it and it appeared to take the change. Later, I discovered that the entire Preferences window was locked up. I eventually restarted WeatherCat when I could not get anything to work in Preferences. When I went back into Preferences after the restart, I was able to add the Camera ID (I think my earlier attempt had a space behind the last character). When I tried to edit the Update Rate, both fields greyed out again. This time, I just unchecked the Upload Webcam Image box and when I rechecked it, I was able to change the Update Rate.

Bottom line, I am now uploading webcam images to Wunderground through WeatherCat, but there are some strange happenings in the Wunderground PWS preferences pane.
Blick

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 08:08:04 AM »
In WeatherCat Preferences | Webcam I have the Disable Webcam Uploads at Night box checked but it is still uploading webcam images both to Wunderground and to my website. Does this feature not work if WeatherCat is not controlling the camera? I am using the File From URL option to capture video snapshots. Also, I am FTPing from a separate directory using the Preferences | Custom Web | Additional Files tab, if this makes any difference.
Blick

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 07:02:31 PM »
Right you are!

Stu, do you remember when Joz Baz and I reported that the Manual Override fields in the Current Conditions Calculator were greyed out and appeared to be non-editable, but they were in actual fact editable? This is exactly what happened to me when I was entering the WU Camera ID. Whilst I was adding the Camera ID, both the Camera ID field and the Update Rate field greyed out and could not be edited. However, I selected the field anyway, edited it and it appeared to take the change. Later, I discovered that the entire Preferences window was locked up. I eventually restarted WeatherCat when I could not get anything to work in Preferences. When I went back into Preferences after the restart, I was able to add the Camera ID (I think my earlier attempt had a space behind the last character). When I tried to edit the Update Rate, both fields greyed out again. This time, I just unchecked the Upload Webcam Image box and when I rechecked it, I was able to change the Update Rate.

Bottom line, I am now uploading webcam images to Wunderground through WeatherCat, but there are some strange happenings in the Wunderground PWS preferences pane.

It's likely  it's having trouble writing to the preferences file - when things are changed they are written then and there, a delay here indicates some issue writing them. As a first step, try a repair permissions in disk utility (Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility).

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 07:08:17 PM »
In WeatherCat Preferences | Webcam I have the Disable Webcam Uploads at Night box checked but it is still uploading webcam images both to Wunderground and to my website. Does this feature not work if WeatherCat is not controlling the camera? I am using the File From URL option to capture video snapshots. Also, I am FTPing from a separate directory using the Preferences | Custom Web | Additional Files tab, if this makes any difference.

It only affects uploads via the web-cam tags, WCAM$ et al. During daytime, these cause the image to be uploaded and displayed, at night time the tag is replaced with text indicating image disabled at night.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 08:33:46 PM »
It's likely  it's having trouble writing to the preferences file - when things are changed they are written then and there, a delay here indicates some issue writing them. As a first step, try a repair permissions in disk utility (Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility).

Done. I'll let you know if the issue pops up again. Thanks.
Blick

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 08:36:00 PM »
It only affects uploads via the web-cam tags, WCAM$ et al. During daytime, these cause the image to be uploaded and displayed, at night time the tag is replaced with text indicating image disabled at night.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm not using tags so that would explain it.
Blick