Author Topic: Weather Underground  (Read 5725 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Weather Underground
« on: October 01, 2014, 06:44:36 PM »
I received an email from WU that I and not uploaded data for the past two hours. WeatherCat showed Wunderground uploads running normally and successfully. I could not see anything unusual in the log. I rebooted WeatherCat and all historical records uploaded to WU. It now appears to be running fine. I assume the problem was on the WU server but would appreciate any thoughts you might have.
Blick

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
Re: Weather Underground
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 07:11:45 PM »
Hi Blick,

No issues that I have seen. All seems normal.

Jos

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 07:25:23 PM »

I've had the very same thing happen infrequently. As you did, I check my log first and then go look at the other sites I upload data to. Typically they show no issues so I just wait and WU eventually starts recognizing the station again. Next time I'll reboot as you did to see if that speeds up the process.

Totally off subject but I went to the WU blogs to see if anyone had mentioned a recent server issue...nada. However, I did see that Dr. Jeff Masters mentioned "Edouard" ... 2014 named storm "Edouard" that is.   [biggrin]

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2815

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Might raise a trouble-ticket (Re: Weather Underground)
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 10:08:35 PM »
Howdy Blick and WeatherCat data submission junkies, . . .

I received an email from WU that I and not uploaded data for the past two hours.
. . . . .  .
WeatherCat showed Wunderground uploads running normally and successfully.
. . . . . . .
I rebooted WeatherCat and all historical records uploaded to WU. It now appears to be running fine. I assume the problem was on the WU server but would appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Weather Underground has some sort of  trouble-ticket system.  You might just raise this issue with them for their information.  They may not realize they had a server that had gone bad.  Since they merged with the Weather Channel, they are supposedly better funded, so there might be engineers available to actually track down the problem.

It wouldn't cost more than around 10 minutes of your time.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 02:55:49 AM »
Using WC, I "completed" the following:
  • Set up the CWOP reporting and it seems to be working fine.
  • Set up WunderGround and all I'm getting is "Pwd/I.D. Error". The info on their site says it usually takes a day before any data will show up. Still, should it be giving an erer message until then? :-\ I signed out and back in to be sure I had the correct password; check. I also double-checked the Station ID they gave me; check.

WC Prefs reports WU Status:
  • Reports Sent: 106
  • Acknowledgments: 0
  • Response Time: 0.09 (Av. 0.088)
  • Bytes Sent: 0
  • Current Status: Pwd/I.D, Error
BTW, I turned "Rapid Fire" OFF, "Update Rate" is 5 minutes; no point in wasting electrons if this is not working properly...

CWOP sent an acknowledgment email. Does WU?

Should I just be more patient?!!! [bounce] [roll] [rockon] [coffee] [headbang] [rolleyes2]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 05:40:02 AM »
Xair:

Wunderground cannot handle secure passwords. I had this exact problem a couple of years ago when I first created my WU account. Wunderground tech support told me I could only use alphanumeric characters with no special characters. Keep your password simple and it will work.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 02:51:57 PM »
Thanks! Good to know the "underground" is concerned about our security!  [goofy]

OK. Make the password insecure. [banghead] Why bother with any password. ::)  [lol2] Strange that the "paid" account I set up many months ago uses a very secure p/w; the more "strange" characters, the better.

As they say in the IT departments, "It's not our rule, talk to the CEO!" Oh well, I suppose I can create another, PWS, account? [A-Z][a-z][0-9] and short, too? [spin]

I think it's now working. After changing my p/w on their site and entering it in WC, I got a "Running" Status. Switched to Rapid Fire and it changed to the old ererr mess. Double-checked my p/w (again, I always assume I'm the one who screwed up  [blush] ). No change. Turned Rapid Fire OFF, no change. Checked Activity Monitor for sluggishness/non-responciveness. Closed WC Prefs window. Counted to 38 by 3's. Opened WC Prefs window, noted the cursor still in the Password field, selected another field (stranger things have happened!). Turned Rapid Fire back ON. "Running" shows up! Put scissors in closed drawer for safety! Changed RF interval to 30 seconds. Incrementing Reports, Acknowledgments, Bytes Sent, and still showing "Running"!

As fast as electrons move, the delays/changes mentioned may simply have been communications changes at WU/WC/Comworst/interweb pipes. I'll wait until tonight or tomorrow to see if I actually have any info at WU.

Thanks, again! You "guys" are terriffick! [cheer]
[removed link to the now castly photobucket.com site]
...and the best dressed weathermen around! [tup]

Update (4/14/15 @ 11:20AM): Data showing at WU. Map indicates a couple of stations about a mile away.
Thanks, again! I'm now off to see about posting to WeatherBug, my favorite iOS weather app.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 05:33:59 PM by xairbusdriver »

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 12:35:49 AM »
Not sure how some of this "info" got "into" <my station data,> specifically, the views:"PWS viewed 121 times since April 1, 2015". It's only ever been available since this morning (4/14/2015)! 8) Maybe it was those black helicopters?

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 03:19:09 AM »
Not sure how some of this "info" got "into" <my station data,> specifically, the views:"PWS viewed 121 times since April 1, 2015". It's only ever been available since this morning (4/14/2015)! 8)

You are doing that to yourself. If you leave your browser parked on your own WU page, every time the data updates WU counts that as an additional view. So if you are updating every 30 seconds, you will generate 2,880 views every 24 hours. Looks impressive but the neighbours will see right through it.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 03:26:23 AM »
OK, I'll close the tab. So, where does that date come from? I had the hardware by then, but I think I've cleared the data logger at least once after that. Possibly still in the WC cache? Oh well.

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 06:22:30 AM »
Either that's the date you created your WU account, or they tally from the 1st of the month. But, it's a Weather Underground page hit counter. The longer your station is on WU, the more regular followers you'll get. They'll find you through the WunderMap.
 [rolleyes2] [WCSmall]
Herb

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 12:10:41 AM »
Thanks. Must be the "month" thing; always shows the first day of whatever month you join. Weird. Nothing I can do about it now.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 05:15:39 AM »
They (WU) tally from the first of every month and it rolls over at midnight of their time zone (not your local time zone) on the last day of the month. Has nothing to do with when you joined, it just counts the views in the current month.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 03:18:43 PM »
OK, got it... again... I think... Do I get a special discount if I pass a certain level? Maybe five extra hours of Sun light? :P