Author Topic: Wunderground & CWOP Woes  (Read 4594 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Wunderground & CWOP Woes
« on: June 02, 2014, 05:03:03 PM »
WU
Last night, my Wunderground uploads went wonky. I'm still uploading every 10 minutes, but the Wunderground data shows the exact same readings that were current at midnight. WeatherCat shows the status is Running. Wunderground shows it is receiving data every 10 minutes, but the data points aren't changing. I've tried starting and stopping the uploads.

I just looked in the log and it is full of entries like this:

6/2/14 9:54:52.316 AM WeatherCat[65437]: Uploading historical data to Wunderground for 2014-06-02 15:30:00 +0000
6/2/14 9:54:52.331 AM WeatherCat[65437]: Wunderground: Uploading historical data to Wunderground for 2014-06-02 15:30:00 +0000
6/2/14 9:54:52.412 AM WeatherCat[65437]: Wunderground: Historical record upload OK
6/2/14 9:54:55.317 AM WeatherCat[65437]: Uploading historical data to Wunderground for 2014-06-02 15:35:00 +0000
6/2/14 9:54:55.332 AM WeatherCat[65437]: Wunderground: Uploading historical data to Wunderground for 2014-06-02 15:35:00 +0000
6/2/14 9:54:55.414 AM WeatherCat[65437]: Wunderground: Historical record upload OK

These entries started yesterday when I brought my new VP2 online.

Here is the link to my WU station: http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KUTHEBER6#history

CWOP
Same time period, no transmissions to CWOP. WeatherCat status says CWOP is running. The log entires for CWOP like like this:

6/2/14 9:23:29.067 AM WeatherCat[65437]: CWOP - no weather from main thread (may be busy) - not sending just now.
6/2/14 9:23:29.080 AM WeatherCat[65437]: CWOP: Next transmission in 9 minutes and 52 seconds.
6/2/14 9:33:21.700 AM WeatherCat[65437]: CWOP - no weather from main thread (may be busy) - not sending just now.
6/2/14 9:33:21.719 AM WeatherCat[65437]: CWOP: Next transmission in 10 minutes and 29 seconds.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Blick

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: Wunderground & CWOP Woes
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 07:07:19 PM »
Hi Blick,
Just looking at the graphs on your website. It looks like there was no data from about midnight until 10 am (ish) - there seems to be data for the last hour or two, same on Wunderground. Check the status window (Tools->Status) for sensor or comms errors, also check the Live Data View for individual sensor errors then give WeatherCat a reboot to see if that'll get CWOP going again.

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 07:13:04 PM »
Hi Blick
 Sounds like an internet problem but for WU you can Delete the entries and go to the Library/Application Support/WeatherCatTemp/wundergroundplist and edit it back to where it all started by figuring the time and subtracting it from thenumber in the plist then restart the cat and it should cause it to reupload your data to WU for CWOP
I don't know of a way to reupload that data

hope this might help

cheers

[cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 12:54:22 AM »
Hi Blick,
Just looking at the graphs on your website. It looks like there was no data from about midnight until 10 am (ish) - there seems to be data for the last hour or two, same on Wunderground. Check the status window (Tools->Status) for sensor or comms errors, also check the Live Data View for individual sensor errors then give WeatherCat a reboot to see if that'll get CWOP going again.

Thanks for the suggestions Stu. I did not have any sensor errors, although I had a couple of Comms errors. However, as you point out, the uploading seemed to sort itself properly this morning. I rebooted WC about two hours ago and it has been running fine ever since.

Stu, just as a side note, on a different place in the forum I had pointed out to you that the floating desktop graphic disappeared when I upgraded to Mavericks. All of this rebooting over the past weekend has given me the chance to see that the floating graphic reappears magically about every other reboot. So at least it hasn't totally moved house.

Sounds like an internet problem

Randall, I think you are dead on. I think this whole thing is some kind of DNS resolution issue with my ISP. I've been on the phone with them a couple of times today and they are looking into it. There is nothing in WC to indicate my uploads weren't going through, but the status tools appeared to be stuck. Although they showed everything was running, they weren't updating as they normally do.

Also, thanks for the heads up on editing the WU data. I didn't know you could do that. If I send you the files will you do it for me?  ;)
Blick

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 12:42:27 PM »
Hi Blick
 You will need to do it from your end
If you view the data editor and the data for that time is there then you can force WC to reupload your data to WU but the longer you wait the harder it is to do it check the WC manual it is in there

You can modify the weatherundergound upload plist by multiplying 60 second by 60 minutes by 24 by how many days , here is an example (60x60x24x15 days)=129600 subtract this from the total in the plist which you will need to open with a text editor like textwangler and subtract the amount from the number in the plist save it but first you will need to quit WeatherCat before doing all of this and when you restart WeatherCat it will force it to upload all this historical data to WeatherUnderground
The date of the last upload to Wunderground is kept in the file called
WeatherCatLastWundergroundUpload.plist at ~/Library/Application
Support/WeatherCatTemp/ (where ~ is your home directory). 
See the manual page 108

Hope this explains it

cheers

[cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Alternative DNS service available. (Re: Wunderground & CWOP Woes)
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 07:52:44 PM »
Dear Blick, and WeatherCat network admins . . . . .

I think this whole thing is some kind of DNS resolution issue with my ISP.

A few years back, I was having problems with the DNS servers that Comcast provided for our cable Internet.  At the time, I learned from some tech news article about OpenDNS:

http://www.opendns.com/

As the .com domain name would suggest, no this isn't an open source project, but a private company that specializes in Internet security related to DNS services.  Nonetheless, simple end users can switch to their DNS servers and there is a varying fee depending on the service level you want.  You can just use their DNS servers for free, I pay $10 a year for some additional features.  It seems like a very reasonable price to pay.

The only weirdness in my setup is that I have only one computer "on the outside" of my DNS network.  I have a Mac serving as our Internet Router and it runs some firewall software that includes Network Address Translation (NAT).  I then run a DHCP server and a bit of UNIX software called DNS Masquerade that basically allows all the computer on our home network to use a single DNS server.  There may be other ways to set this up and honestly, once I got it working, I promptly forgot how I made it all work!

However, OpenDNS is something to be aware of.  Since switching, I haven't had any problems with DNS look ups.  I have a feeling that Internet Service Providers are really starting to pinch pennies and that translates to poorer service.  Taking the DNS job away from Comcast has really been a worthwhile upgrade to our Internet availability.

So, . . . . . FYI!! . . .

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 02:41:47 PM »
Randall and Edouard:

Thanks for the info. I've now been running for one day with no comms or sensor errors and the uploads seem to be sorted. I changed one of my DNS servers from my ISP to use one of Google's. I'll see how that goes.
Blick