Author Topic: Saratoga Base-World templates switch to DarkSky forecast before WU API shutdown  (Read 1817 times)

saratogaWX

• Strong Breeze
  • Weather website programming enthusiast
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
  • Station Details: Davis VP1 +, iMAC 21, OSX 10.6.8
For all the Base-World template users, make sure you switch to using DarkSky for forecasts before the planned 15-Feb-2019 shutdown of the WeatherUnderground API (at which time your WU-forecast.php scripts will cease operation).

The easiest way to switch is to use the update tool page with a query of Base-World, Plugin-*, 02-Dec-2018 to get all the needed files.  Follow the instructions in the included Settings-DarkSky-README.txt file to change your Settings.php to add the DarkSky API key and forecast locations to your site.  The ajax-dashboard.php and wxforecast.php scripts have also been updated for DarkSky support.

If you're using the ajax-dashboard6.php, please see this post for details on what to modify.  I've also updated the legacy script page with 6.95a of Scott's alternative ajax-dashboard6.php script (just the one file was updated).

WU has revealed the future API replacement and said it would be free for low-volume PWS data submitters to use, but has not offered any API keys for the new API yet -- the new API is INCOMPATIBLE with the existing WU-forecast.php, so you'll have to change to DarkSky.net forecasts before they shut off the old API.  I'll try a rewrite of WU-forecast for the new API as soon as keys are available -- right now they're only talking about a 5 day forecast period (instead of the current 7 day forecast).  DarkSky provides a 7 day forecast, but only for 24hr periods (so only 7 icons).

I'll keep you posted about developments for the WU API replacement -- in the meantime, DO update your sites to use DarkSky forecasts NOW.

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis Vantage Pro Plus - FARS, Boltek-PCI/NexStorm, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteohub, WeatherSnoop, WeatherCat
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Ken, thank you for keeping us in the loop on this and for your template support for WeatherCatters. Happy New Year.
Blick

saratogaWX

• Strong Breeze
  • Weather website programming enthusiast
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
  • Station Details: Davis VP1 +, iMAC 21, OSX 10.6.8
I've done an update to the DarkSky forecast script (DS-forecast.php V1.09, DS-forecast-lang.php V1.06) that adds a tabbed display of the Daily and Hourly(24hrs) forecasts.  Including scripts also need to add some CSS to format the tabbed display.

Standalone: https://saratoga-weather.org/scripts-DSforecast.php (the scripts and CSS addition are available there)

Template: https://saratoga-weather.org/wxtemplates/updates.php with query 23-Jan-2019, Base-World, Plugin-*
which updates DS-forecast.php, DS-forecast-lang.php and wxforecast.php scripts (the latter has the needed CSS included)
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis Vantage Pro Plus - FARS, Boltek-PCI/NexStorm, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteohub, WeatherSnoop, WeatherCat
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP