Author Topic: WeatherCat Version 2.4.0 Now Available  (Read 12954 times)

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Strong Breeze
WeatherCat Version 2.4.0 Now Available
« on: September 03, 2016, 08:03:45 PM »
We are pleased to be able to announce that WeatherCat version 2.4.0 is now available!

Changes in this release include:
  • Added monthly record emails - these are emails that are specific to the current month - for example a new high temperature for May. We process for high and low temperature, high wind speed, high and low pressure, high solar radiation and high U.V. These monthly records are checked every three hours (the same for all record emails).
  • Fixed an issue whereby if more than 1 record was broken in any three hour period, only the first record email would be sent.
  • We now show the percentage of packets sent versus acknowledgments in the WeatherCat status window for Wunderground, CWOP and custom CGI.
  • Added STTHISMONTHOV$ and STLASTMONTHOV$ web tags. These generate an over-view of either the current or last month in terms of comparison of select variables against long term averages. For example:

STTHISMONTHOV$:
    May so far has been...
       Warmer than average (10.9?C versus an average of 10.4)
       Dryer than average (43.80 mm versus an average total of 60.64)
       Calmer than average (a wind run of 2554 miles versus an average of 3131)

STLASTMONTHOV$:
    April was...
       Cooler than average (6.4?C versus an average of 7.9)
       Wetter than average (63.20 mm versus an average total of 47.98)
       Calmer than average (a wind run of 2185 miles versus an average of 3116)

Notes:
       1. These tags, like all 'ST' type tags, output pre-formatted text, therefore the tag needs to be surrounded with <PRE> and </PRE> tags (or equivalent).
       2. These tags need at least 2 years of data to be able to compute the long term values for a given month - if there isn't enough data the tag will be replaced with text indicating there isn't enough data. Obviously the more years you have, the more accurate the long term average,
       3. When computing the long term average for a month, the current month is NOT taken into account. The values given in STYEAROVERYEAR$ do take into account the current month.
  • Change default imagery URL for Europe from http://image.weather.com/images/sat/europesat_440x297.jpg to https://i.imwx.com/images/sat/europesat_600x405.jpg
  • Maximum period for Aux. FTP uploads increased from 1000 to 10000 minutes.
  • Vantage Vue station driver - attempt to remove the odd CRC error.
  • Fixed an issue introduced in V2.3.0 where some channels may not be generated on data export (annual rain for example).
  • Latest German strings courtesy of Reinhard Unterwurzacher.
  • Attempt a fix at an issue whereby auto-daily export may not export all the data for the previous day if WeatherCat was not running all the time.
  • We now send the current conditions to clients - the data is appended to the end of the current data set so should have no affect on older clients. Client comms version changed from 4 to 5 to indicate this change.
  • Fixed an issue where daily rain on an anchored annual custom graph may be misaligned in time.
  • SQL driver - temperature type variables now use 2 decimal places resolution, previously was 1. SQL driver version goes to 1.0.3.
  • Sylvester (Twitter client for WeatherCat) is now built into WeatherCat. Launching of Sylvester is controlled by a tick box in the Misc 2 pane of WeatherCat's preferences (off by default). Old Sylvester's can be removed.
  • Fix a bug where daily wind run sent to clients would be 0 if units were km's.
  • Documentation/manual updated.

OS X Client
  • Preferences window was resizable - it shouldn't be.
  • Change in the connection mechanism - we no longer try to connect whilst launching, but will immediately after fully launched.
  • Current conditions are displayed in the title bar of the window when running with a version 2.4.0 (or later) WeatherCat.

Full release notes can be found in the 'Documentation' folder of the download or on the WeatherCat wiki.

As always, WeatherCat V2.4.0 (Build 198) is available for immediate download from our WeatherCat page (direct download link: WeatherCat 2.4.0).

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks Stu! (Re: WeatherCat Version 2.4.0 Now Available)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 10:12:35 PM »
Dear WeatherCat faithful, . . .

We are pleased to be able to announce that WeatherCat version 2.4.0 is now available!

Thanks Stu for always adding new goodies to WeatherCat!   [cat]

You rock!  [rock]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

gb509

• Gentle Breeze
    • D6143
    • IGREATER38
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Daytime FARS Solar and UV, iMac OS 10.11
Re: WeatherCat Version 2.4.0 Now Available
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 09:02:02 AM »
Smooth change as always and purring along nicely! Been awarded goldstar status on Wunderground for which you as the Weathercat developer should also take credit!

johnpolak

• Gentle Breeze
    • ITOMINTO2
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 on iMac running OSX 10.10.5
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 01:20:14 PM »
Maybe I am being a bit dum here, but how do you install the upgrade. I have an unzipped folder in my downloads folder - but what do you do with it then? I don't want to lose any existing data! Any help appreciated!

Regards, John.

Alan Rowley

• Strong Breeze
  • It is far better to wear out than to rust away.
    • D3696
    • INOTTING15
    • Selston Weather
  • Station Details: Weather station: Davis Vantage Pro2. Software: WeatherCat. Computer: Mac Mini, High Sierra OS
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 04:21:55 PM »
1. Close down the WeatherCat program.
2. Drag the WeatherCat application from the WeatherCat folder you just downloaded to the place where your WeatherCat program currently resides (usually your 'Applications' folder).
3. A pop-up will advise you that a file of that name already exists and you will be asked if you want to replace it. You should confirm this.
4. Re-start WeatherCat and you should have the new version.

ALAN.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 05:24:22 PM »
Just a cautious addition/change to the above steps. ;)

After you Quit WeatherCat in step 1, drag the app to your Desktop or any other location (except the Trash) outside it's current location/folder. This way, you will still have the working app in the very rare change that the new app is somehow corrupt (from the download?). This will also allow you to skip step 2 and 3, as there will be no conflict to warn about. ;)

The point is, the WC app does not store your data in itself. All that data is in various files in your user/Library and the app's plist files. That's why it is safe/normal to simply replace the app with the new version. I simply use this procedure for any important app I update. Actually, I compress the old version and keep it until I have proven, to myself, that the new one is purrfect! With WC, this is being overly cautious, you've probably seen the very large number (198?) of updates/testing with the app's development. Still, as they say, "If you don't plan, you plan to fail!".  [banghead]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 05:45:29 PM »
As always, a good tip is to take a look at the WeatherCat Wiki, in this case:
http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Installation_And_Requirements

:)
Reinhard

johnpolak

• Gentle Breeze
    • ITOMINTO2
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 on iMac running OSX 10.10.5
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 05:50:39 PM »
Sorted folks. It appears the problem lay with my version of Winzip - which wouldn't work. However, the built in Apple unzip utility did the trick. Working fine now. Thanks everyone anyway for your help!

R. John

schwab

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 07:31:11 PM »
Thank you for the update...

I'll explore the new features...

We're up & running using the Saratoga-Weather templates at www.schwab1.com in Rochester, Minnesota, U.S.A.

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 11:45:23 AM »
Today I got some monthly records - but no record eMail. I never ever received such an eMail, so I thought it is time to ask...  :-[ What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

UPDATE: Received a monthly record eMail about a new monthly wind gust record. Seems to work. Detected a (cosmetic) spelling error in my translation, Stu. If for what reason ever you do an Update to 2.4.1 let me know, I will send you the (updated german) strings file.

:)
Reinhard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 03:28:37 PM »
Thanks Stu. I've been running the test version of this build for more than two weeks now and really appreciate the improvements.
Blick

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 11:41:13 AM »
Just let me go back to the monthly record eMails:

I think, I got it now.  ::)  :-[
I misinterpreted the sentence
- these are emails that are specific to the current month -
as I thought it will report records for the current September (for example). But it reports records for all current months (in this case all Septembers) I have collected since running WeatherCat, correct?

So I received no monthly record eMail the whole August because there was no record broken during the current August in comparison to all other Augusts...   [banghead]

Cheers,
Reinhard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 03:26:13 PM »
details, DETAILS, DEE TALES! We dough'n neeed no stinlin' details!!! [banghead]
[lol]

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 05:41:21 PM »
details, DETAILS, DEE TALES! We dough'n neeed no stinlin' details!!! [banghead]
[lol]

Indeed.

:D
Reinhard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2016, 09:26:40 PM »
Computer Up-Time: 34 days, 20 hrs, 17 mins
Software Up-Time: 34 days, 20 hrs, 14 mins

I guess it's time to shut down, install and get going on Stu's latest work! [woohoo]

Restarted WC only, no OS restart. Not sure about Sylvester, I think it requires a Quitting and Restart of WC. I never visit Twit, so this may be a good time to see if it's worth the bandwidth to keep posting there. [rolleyes2] Unheeded advice to Gen. Custer, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!" [banghead]