Author Topic: New Davis Weather Station  (Read 2737 times)

Commodore

• Gentle Breeze
    • Commodore Mark
  • Station Details: 27" iMac and a Mac mini but no weather station yet.
New Davis Weather Station
« on: May 04, 2019, 04:12:51 AM »
A friend of mine wants to jump into the personal weather station world without even testing the water. He is interested in a new Davis Instruments  system. What are your recommendations for a full featured weather station that feeds data to his Mac? He will set up a personal web page too.
Alas, I don't have a weather station...but I'm going to have one real soon now.  :-(

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
Re: New Davis Weather Station
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 10:39:47 AM »
My profile shows one pretty maxed out.

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 10:48:14 AM »
If money doesn't matter, buy the one Felix has pointed out, Vantage Pro2 plus (https://www.davisinstruments.com/product/wireless-vantage-pro2-plus-including-uv-solar-radiation-sensors/). To get it a bit cheaper your friend can go for the Vue (https://www.davisinstruments.com/product/vantage-vue-wireless-weather-station/). And don't buy at Davis store, many resellers do have better prices...  8)
Reinhard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 09:22:23 PM »
I concur with my fellow WeatherCatters. Davis sells at the highest price; everyone else discounts, but you still get Davis warranty and tech support..
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Any issues with site installation? (Re: New Davis Weather Station)
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 10:33:36 PM »
Dear Commodore, Felix, Reinhard, Blick, and WeatherCat station installation consultants,

A friend of mine wants to jump into the personal weather station world without even testing the water. He is interested in a new Davis Instruments  system. What are your recommendations for a full featured weather station that feeds data to his Mac? He will set up a personal web page too.

The faithful have already given you lots of good advice.  Something to consider in addition is how would this station be installed.  If budget issues eventually become involved, the Vantage Vue provides a lot of functionality for the money, but that groups all the sensors in one place.  On the other hand, a number of us Davis VP-2 owners prefer to have the Anemometer some distance away from the other instruments and use a separate data transmitter that Davis sells.

Before your friend jumps and spends money, tell him to spend a little time trying to figure out how he would install that station.  It might save him some time and narrow down some of the choices.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S. Another potential consideration is whether or not you need your instruments within reach of AC power.  This could be important if you want to have a heater to melt snow or perhaps use an AC power fan to aspirate your temperature probe.  Here is a thread with the technique I use to keep my temperature probe exposed to flowing air:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1865.msg16710#msg16710

Commodore

• Gentle Breeze
    • Commodore Mark
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 06:20:49 AM »
My profile shows one pretty maxed out.

Thank you!
Alas, I don't have a weather station...but I'm going to have one real soon now.  :-(

Commodore

• Gentle Breeze
    • Commodore Mark
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 06:22:24 AM »
If money doesn't matter, buy the one Felix has pointed out, Vantage Pro2 plus (https://www.davisinstruments.com/product/wireless-vantage-pro2-plus-including-uv-solar-radiation-sensors/). To get it a bit cheaper your friend can go for the Vue (https://www.davisinstruments.com/product/vantage-vue-wireless-weather-station/). And don't buy at Davis store, many resellers do have better prices...  8)

Thank you! I seem to recall some resellers who were active in this forum.

Commodore

• Gentle Breeze
    • Commodore Mark
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 06:22:58 AM »
I concur with my fellow WeatherCatters. Davis sells at the highest price; everyone else discounts, but you still get Davis warranty and tech support..

Thanks!

Commodore

• Gentle Breeze
    • Commodore Mark
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2019, 06:24:03 AM »
Dear Commodore, Felix, Reinhard, Blick, and WeatherCat station installation consultants,

The faithful have already given you lots of good advice.  Something to consider in addition is how would this station be installed.  If budget issues eventually become involved, the Vantage Vue provides a lot of functionality for the money, but that groups all the sensors in one place.  On the other hand, a number of us Davis VP-2 owners prefer to have the Anemometer some distance away from the other instruments and use a separate data transmitter that Davis sells.

Before your friend jumps and spends money, tell him to spend a little time trying to figure out how he would install that station.  It might save him some time and narrow down some of the choices.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S. Another potential consideration is whether or not you need your instruments within reach of AC power.  This could be important if you want to have a heater to melt snow or perhaps use an AC power fan to aspirate your temperature probe.  Here is a thread with the technique I use to keep my temperature probe exposed to flowing air:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1865.msg16710#msg16710

As usual, excellent advice. Thank you!