Author Topic: Weather data not ready - retrying in 30 seconds.  (Read 1799 times)

saskgrass

• Calm
    • EW1708
    • ISASKCATC41
    • My weather station website
  • Station Details: Davis VantagePro 2, 2012 Mac mini, Catalina 10.15.7 Amcrest weather cameras controlled via SecuritySpy 2
Weather data not ready - retrying in 30 seconds.
« on: January 05, 2022, 06:20:22 PM »
I run a Davis Vantage Pro2 hooked up to a Mac mini running Catalina. WeatherCat 3.12 build 34. Lately my Vantage Pro2 barometer in the console has quit working. Tried resetting the console to no avail. However, WeatherCat log now reports "Weather data not ready - retrying in 30 seconds.
After multiple tries I get:

***WARNING*** WeatherCat was not able to fetch all the weather data from the hardware after repeated tries.\
11:47:50 AM 05-Jan-2022: Error: Didn't get wind chill, using last known or default.\
11:47:50 AM 05-Jan-2022: Error: Didn't get pressure, using last known or default.\
11:47:50 AM 05-Jan-2022: Temperature: -27\'b0C  Dewpoint: -29\'b0C  Pressure: 1,003 hPa  Av. Windspeed: 24 km/h from 313.4\'b0  Current Conditions: Overcast}

However WeatherCat will not upload data to any services or my own website. All services report me as offline.

Is there a way to force WeatherCat to upload data without the Barometer readings?
We all have to start somewhere.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Barometric pressure is required. (Re: Weather data not ready)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 10:47:09 PM »
Dear saskgrass and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

. . . . Lately my Vantage Pro2 barometer in the console has quit working.
. . . . .

Is there a way to force WeatherCat to upload data without the Barometer readings?

Unfortunately, as far as I know, the barometric pressure is one of the instruments that WeatherCat expects to be working all the time.  In order to get WeatherCat working again, you'll need to fix or replace your console.  Have you tried contacting Davis technical support?

Sorry, Edouard

saskgrass

• Calm
    • EW1708
    • ISASKCATC41
  • Station Details: Davis VantagePro 2, 2012 Mac mini, Catalina 10.15.7 Amcrest weather cameras controlled via SecuritySpy 2
Re: Weather data not ready - retrying in 30 seconds.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 01:51:20 AM »
I do have a support ticket in with Davis but I fear I'm looking at replacing the console at $450 can. My station is now 10 years old so I have to decide on just the console or opt for an entire package. I'm leaning towards the latter. At least I know now that bypassing the barometer is not an option.

Thanks for your info.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
10 years not that old for Davis. (Was: Weather data not ready)
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 09:49:20 PM »
Dear saskgrass and WeatherCat station caregivers,

I do have a support ticket in with Davis but I fear I'm looking at replacing the console at $450 can.

I'm guessing you mean 450 Canadian dollars?  Is is possible for you to purchase from United States vendors?  The console can be bought at greater discounts in the US.

My station is now 10 years old so I have to decide on just the console or opt for an entire package. I'm leaning towards the latter.

I certainly can sympathize on the desire to simply replace all the components in order to maintain reliability.  The durability of a Davis station will definitely depend upon your location. In 12 years, I have only had to replace my anemometer and temperature/humidity probe.  However, I'm located in comparatively mild California.  I have had problems with incompatible ISS boards though.

If the expense isn't an issue, you might compromise by buying a complete system, but only replace instruments as needed.  You could inspect your station every spring and only replace those components that you are concerned about surviving the following winter.  That way you will prolong the overall life of your station and still have the advantage of replacing components on your timeline.  Just make sure that your instruments are compatible with your ISS transmitter board.

Keep us posted on your plans.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 10:43:27 PM »
I didn't even know the Davis Console contained a barometer!

I thought it simply stored an "offset value" (calculated by using the "Altitude" for your Davis Station that you enter when setting up the Console. However, the Davis Console manual does say there is a "Barometric Variable" "included in Console". I've always interpreted that to mean the actual barometer is in the ISS. I think the following is why I thought that:
the Vantage Pro2 measures atmospheric pressure. When you enter your location’s altitude in Setup Mode, the Vantage Pro2 stores the necessary offset value to consistently translate atmospheric pressure into barometric pressure.
English is so confusing... [lol] [banghead] So the correct reading is that the barometer is actually in the Console and the ISS simply maintains an offset that adjusts what the Console reports?

If you can order from RainmanWeather.com (USA), they are offering the Davis Console (6312) for ~241 Can. Of course, you would have to add import duty taxes and probably a bit of extra shipping. There are other suppliers, but many of us have received great service from Rainman Weather.

If you think the 'broken' barometer is in the ISS, Rainman also sells the whole ISS circuit board for just a few dollars more than the Console.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

saskgrass

• Calm
    • EW1708
    • ISASKCATC41
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 02:37:27 AM »
Good News! Davis replied via email with a simple fix: Just had to reset the elevation to zero. the barometer started working again! I then put back the correct elevation and the barometer is still working. I have no idea why this works but it's back up and running.

saskgrass

• Calm
    • EW1708
    • ISASKCATC41
Re: 10 years not that old for Davis. (Was: Weather data not ready)
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 02:52:12 AM »
Dear saskgrass and WeatherCat station caregivers,
I'm guessing you mean 450 Canadian dollars?  Is is possible for you to purchase from United States vendors?  The console can be bought at greater discounts in the US.

I certainly can sympathize on the desire to simply replace all the components in order to maintain reliability.  The durability of a Davis station will definitely depend upon your location. In 12 years, I have only had to replace my anemometer and temperature/humidity probe.  However, I'm located in comparatively mild California.  I have had problems with incompatible ISS boards though.

If the expense isn't an issue, you might compromise by buying a complete system, but only replace instruments as needed.  You could inspect your station every spring and only replace those components that you are concerned about surviving the following winter.  That way you will prolong the overall life of your station and still have the advantage of replacing components on your timeline.  Just make sure that your instruments are compatible with your ISS transmitter board.

Keep us posted on your plans.

Yes, that is Canadian dollars. I was debating buying the entire system since all but anemometer is original. (I replaced the anemometer a few years back when it quit). The only thing holding me back was all my sensors are still accurate.. at least according to CWOP. Now that the  barometer is running again I can relax a bit and shop around.

saskgrass

• Calm
    • EW1708
    • ISASKCATC41
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 03:07:50 AM »
I didn't even know the Davis Console contained a barometer!

I thought it did, what surprised me was how small it is! I found them online for as little as $5. Contemplated replacing the sensor but glad I received the email from Davis. The sensor turned out to be okay.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 03:33:02 PM »
Putting it in the Console makes sense. The Console is normally much more protected from the elements than the ISS, except for us nomads and our camels. cmu:-)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Congratulations! (Re: Weather data not ready)
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2022, 10:32:48 PM »
Dear saskgrass, X-Air, and WeatherCat station caregivers,

Good News! Davis replied via email with a simple fix: Just had to reset the elevation to zero. the barometer started working again! I then put back the correct elevation and the barometer is still working. I have no idea why this works but it's back up and running.

Congratulations!  [tup]

Yes, that is Canadian dollars. I was debating buying the entire system since all but anemometer is original. (I replaced the anemometer a few years back when it quit). The only thing holding me back was all my sensors are still accurate.. at least according to CWOP. Now that the  barometer is running again I can relax a bit and shop around.

Interesting that your anemometer also quit.  Steve's anemometer also gave up the ghost.  That is suggestive they are more vulnerable than other Davis components.  Indeed now you can take your time in deciding what to upgrade.

Thanks again for sharing!