Author Topic: WeatherCat Version 2.4.0 Now Available  (Read 12983 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: WeatherCat Version 2.4.0 Now Available
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2016, 04:09:58 PM »
Console (Applications->Console.app) logs might help pin point the problem. They might point out Internet connection problems or specific messages from WC. Might help to know how many and which apps are usually running when this happens.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
WeatherCat not yet certified for Sierra (Re: WeatherCat Version 2.4.0)
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2016, 11:30:30 PM »
Dear Paul, X-Air, and WeatherCat early adopters,

I am receiving several of these notifications each day:

WeatherCat watchdog: WeatherCat appears to have hung; rebooting as a precautionary measure.
WeatherCat TimeStamp: 08:59:52 12-Sep-16

. . . . .

Eventually it starts reporting again. Any comments that might help resolve this? Running 2.4 on MacOS Sierra GM.

Unfortunately, you have jumped the gun to run WeatherCat on an new version of the OS without checking with Stu to see if WeatherCat is ready to "fly" on that OS.

We have another report of WeatherCat running into trouble on Sierra:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2209.msg21716#msg21716

Stu hasn't told us anything about WeatherCat's compatibility.  My guess is that there are some "issuez."  If at all possible, you would be better off to roll-back to an earlier version of OS X.

Sorry, Edouard

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2016, 12:00:31 AM »
Just let me go back to the monthly record eMails:

I think, I got it now.  ::)  :-[
I misinterpreted the sentence
- these are emails that are specific to the current month -
as I thought it will report records for the current September (for example). But it reports records for all current months (in this case all Septembers) I have collected since running WeatherCat, correct?

So I received no monthly record eMail the whole August because there was no record broken during the current August in comparison to all other Augusts...   [banghead]

Correct. So if you have many years of data, these are going to be rare (but possibly a cause for celebration :) )

Cheers,

vicciconway@mac.com

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 purchased 2004
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 01:38:25 AM »
Is this tested with Sierra?  WC has stopped reporting to Weather Underground every day since installing Sierra.  Very frustrating, but I'm sure glad they send an email when they don't hear from my station.

Vicci

PS - Could you put the emotions below the text window?

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2016, 02:11:28 AM »
Is this tested with Sierra?

A bit more in the following thread although most have been following Stu's advice to hold off until the first dot-one update hits the streets. But since he didn't have any specific problem areas to report despite having had the developer versions far longer than most of us, I decided to give it a whirl on a backup machine.

And found no problems which hadn't already been reported as part of El Capitan feedback. Note though, I use WeatherLink IP which avoids that pesky USB to serial driver problem which bedevils many when the OS changes.

Sierra is now on my primary weather-reporting machine.

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2209.0

vicciconway@mac.com

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2016, 07:00:14 AM »
As an FYI, it also refuses to quit.  Even Force Quit; it will start up again and again and again.  So I have to reboot, and it starts up again.  If I tell an app to quit, it should not exhibit this behavior.  I've had this problem for years.  So far today,  it's quit reporting 3 times [as mentioned in my other email].

Vicci

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2016, 11:47:24 PM »
Hi Vicci,
Check the machine is not set to go to sleep - there have been reports of machines upgraded to 10.12 being set to go to sleep (even though they were set not to sleep before the upgrade).

If that isn't the problem, please start a new thread and post more details about what you're seeing.

With regards to WeatherCat re-launching itself, there is a watchdog which will reboot it if it abnormally terminates (or become inactive for more than half an hour) - this will restart it if you force quit it. You can check this setting in the preferences under the 'Units/Misc 1' pane of the preferences - 'Monitor & Relaunch WeatherCat'.

vicciconway@mac.com

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2016, 06:23:36 PM »
Interesting.  It was set to "put hard disks to sleep when possible" and Computer sleep was set to 15 minutes.  I unchecked the first thing, but am thinking I need to keep computer sleep set vs. hard disks.

Vicci  --- Thank you!

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2016, 10:19:18 AM »
Vicci, you'll need to set the machine so it doesn't sleep. Letting the display sleep is fine. See the FAQ in the back of the WeatherCat manual for more details.