Author Topic: Nasty weather expected for much of the United States  (Read 9795 times)

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro Plus via Keyspan Serial/USB adapator running on 10.9.4
Re: Nasty weather expected for much of the United States
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 01:26:54 AM »
Ended up with 22.8" of snow this go around.  Oh my aching back  [banghead] Why do I look forward to snowfalls like this  [goofy]

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on a MacMini (2009) Mac OS 10.11.6
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 01:51:02 AM »
Wow! 22" of snow. Hard to imagine. That would happen here in Georgia. Just a half inch, however, is sufficient to close schools around here. Forecast tonight calls for "wintery mix." Probably not enough to close schools. Last year around this time we had a bad ice storm that took about power for 2 days at our house and 5 days in other areas nearby.
Be careful shoveling the sidewalks!

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro Plus via Keyspan Serial/USB adapator running on 10.9.4
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 02:43:32 AM »
Wow! 22" of snow. Hard to imagine. That would happen here in Georgia. Just a half inch, however, is sufficient to close schools around here. Forecast tonight calls for "wintery mix." Probably not enough to close schools. Last year around this time we had a bad ice storm that took about power for 2 days at our house and 5 days in other areas nearby.
Be careful shoveling the sidewalks!

Luckily I have a snow blower.  It does great EXCEPT very wet snow or wind blown snow.  A couple of years ago I put chains on it which seems to help.  Even with the snow blower it took almost 3 hours to clear everything out.  I do not get "wintery mixes" very much.  It is either raining or snowing or graupel.  No ice storms here.  We hardly ever loose power due to the weather.  Wind is a more common power outage problem.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 04:02:12 AM »
We got 10 inches of snow here in the mountains of northern Utah. And it was quite wet. A welcome change as the West needs water.

My wife tore her right ACL and meniscus skiing last Thursday. Nice people brought food to us after the storm. They were nice, but not equipped for the roads in winter so I spent some time getting people unstuck from my driveway and sending them on their way. The food was still great.

More snow forecast for us this weekend.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Sorry for your wife. (Was: Nasty weather)
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 10:37:40 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat extreme weather fans,

My wife tore her right ACL and meniscus skiing last Thursday.

Sorry that your wife suffered an injury like that!  :(

;) . . . . Perhaps you and your wife should change to some other recreational pursuit that is safer . . .

Like scuba diving!

Then the big worries are things like the bends and air embolisms!

Oh, you can still hurt your muscles when you lift all that heavy equipment!

::) . . . . anyone for stamp collecting? . . . . [lol2]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2015, 12:44:57 AM »
Hmm, snowblower - don't need them down here. Leaf blowers - yes. Bummer about your wife's injury. Hope the food was good; sounds like you earned the meals by helping people get out of your driveway. Well, hopes for schools to close were grossly over optimistic. Temperatures in our area never got near 32?. Kind of need freezing temperatures to get ice and snow. While I would have enjoyed a day off, I'm just as glad that the area didn't have to deal with bad winter storm. Many people don't do well in those conditions.

By the way, we switch to daylight savings time in 10 days. Seems like we just left it.

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 03:07:29 AM »
By the way, we switch to daylight savings time in 10 days. Seems like we just left it.

One of the stupidest things our country continues to do.  I just hate it!  My wife and I ignore standard time and  I adjust my work schedule to stay on day light savings.  We use leaf blowers here as well - works great with a couple of inches of dry mountain champagne snow [snowflake]  I kinda think a snow blower would work for leaves as well [lol]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 04:16:54 AM »

One of the stupidest things our country continues to do.

In Utah, the governor's office asked residents to weigh in on DST and the overwhelming response was get rid of it. But naturally, the legislature refuses to take it up.
Blick

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2015, 05:55:17 PM »
Hallelujah!! The high pressure ridge sitting off the West Coast all winter moved! It has been blocking the storms we normally get in Utah. It is snowing now and there is only one day in our 7-day forecast that does not contain snow. Of course that will turn out to be wrong, but we need the water so this looks promising.

And just in time for Daylight Savings Time. 😡
Blick

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 11:51:18 PM »
My wife and I ignore standard time and  I adjust my work schedule to stay on day light savings.

That works for me until about Thanksgiving, then I lose the rhythm. So, now I have to get use to getting up an hour earlier. I guess this daylight savings stuff is justified by saying it saves energy. I wonder if anyone factored in the loss of productivity and efficiency at work due to abrupt changes in daily rhythm. The older I get the longer it takes to make the adjustments.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Daylight saving as bogus (Was: Nasty weather)
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2015, 12:43:05 AM »
Dear HantaYo and WeatherCat daylight saving haters,

One of the stupidest things our country continues to do.  I just hate it! 

Agreed!

Worse still, the evidence is now clear.  It doesn't save any energy and does cause serious disruption of people's lives - even causing some deaths from auto accidents and even heart attacks.

I think this lunacy will disappear eventually, but for now it is like the "victory garden."  We are all supposed to so our share to save energy and reduce greenhouse gases.  I just find it completely strange that people still behave as if effectively World War II was still going on.  :o

Oh well, . . .

Edouard

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2015, 02:12:43 AM »

One of the stupidest things our country continues to do.

In Utah, the governor's office asked residents to weigh in on DST and the overwhelming response was get rid of it. But naturally, the legislature refuses to take it up.

In Colorado, if I remember correctly, there was a bill to stay on DST but it went flat due to federal law.

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2015, 02:15:22 AM »
Hallelujah!! The high pressure ridge sitting off the West Coast all winter moved! It has been blocking the storms we normally get in Utah. It is snowing now and there is only one day in our 7-day forecast that does not contain snow. Of course that will turn out to be wrong, but we need the water so this looks promising.

And just in time for Daylight Savings Time. 😡
Snow in the forecast in Colorado through Tuesday -and the last week it has snow off/on everyday.