Author Topic: Meteotemplate  (Read 137647 times)

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
  • Station Details: WH1080
Re: Meteotemplate
« Reply #240 on: November 01, 2016, 07:31:07 PM »
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/55236/

I looked at the linked page, but I don't know what any of that means. Maybe I should stick with my current web page. ;)

It is a stupid one line problem so it would be a shame to abandon it just because of that. Email your provider and ask them why this particular function is undefined. Also send them link to the PHP documentation page I sent you. They should know. This functino is a standard part of the version you are using, it is a problem on their end.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #241 on: November 01, 2016, 07:40:30 PM »
Use cron-job.org
Well, no matter what 'sevrice' is used, the 'command' must be able to find/read/access the file. If "weatherCat.php" is the file, first double-check you've spelled it correctly and then make sure you have the complete path. And, as Reinhard pointed out, contact them about permissions for the file (whatever it is). But while you have their attention, ask them kindly how to construct the 'command'. That should be dead simple for them. [banghead] And completely free, BTW. It also sometimes helps to ask for a "supervisor" or the next layer of support above the phone-answerer/screen reading 'tech'. Sometimes the first person you speak with knows less about computers than you do! [lol]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #242 on: November 01, 2016, 07:43:34 PM »
Thats what always happens to me :D

When I need help I am in touch with some woman in India or other Asian country, who knows probably 1/10th of what you do and can only direct you to the particular help section on their page (which you have previously read 5 times and didnt find the answer there) :D

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #243 on: November 01, 2016, 08:06:34 PM »
Thanks guys,

I was away for a few there while swapping in 32 GB RAM that arrived today. :) Heading outside to do some yard work while it is 78?F, as it'll probably be snowing next week.

I'll see what I can find with the above problems. HostDime prides themselves in 100% local USA English/Spanish support (They are in Florida) I've never had a problem they couldn't solve quickly and with much patience.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #244 on: November 01, 2016, 10:27:53 PM »
Okay, I've got the page showing now. My hosting company indeed has PHP 5.6, but a hidden file in my directory that accesses it called .htaccess was still pointing to 5.3, so we have that fixed. Now I have a basic version of the web page showing!

Now I need to follow the next steps and set the rest of it up.

Tech support confirmed that the command line for the CRON job was correct, and I tried it again after getting done with the support call. It still got the same error, so I have something else wrong. I'll delete that, and try the third party CRO suggested.

X-Powered-By: PHP/5.6.24
Content-type: text/html; charset=UTF-8

No input file specified.

But I'm making progress! Thanks for the suggestions, encouragement, and support!
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #245 on: November 01, 2016, 11:07:40 PM »
Before setting the CRON, simply try the URL in the browser, if it does not work in the browser it will not work in the CRON page. Use the testUpdate feature.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #246 on: November 02, 2016, 01:24:28 AM »
the .htaccess file should be visible if you are using a good ftp program. As a matter of fact, the app I use has that as the default setting. Surely looking at your files via cPanel shows those, also. They certainly need to be seen my the owner of any site. Most hosting companies put a basic one in your home folder. They can be very useful and powerful even if a bit confusing. This is a perfect example of why you should be able to see the file. Like most files, they are nothing more than plain text files that any text editor can open/edit/write.

Your Mac will also hide any file starting with a period in Finder, supposedly this protects users from deleting required files. I don't see a setting in Finder to change that behavior, however. :o Since I don't use Finder, I've not thought about that capability not being there. [banghead]

jachym, I believe he mentioned he'd "poked" the url into a browser back in message #225 and it worked fine. That proves the file is there, but the 'path' in a browser is not the same as a path while on the server. And, unless he gets that file correct, I don't think it will matter how he creates the CRON, in cPanel or the website mentioned.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #247 on: November 02, 2016, 09:16:12 PM »
Okay, I've got the CRON job working using cron-jon.org. Thanks, Reinhard!

- Those of you that exported WeatherCat data in the 2016/11/02T16:33:00 handle it when it was expecting the following?

2016-11-02 16:33
Format: Y/m/d H:i

I tried using WU, but it gave me the following error when I poked the test button:
Loading data from: https://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KOHAVON11&month=11&year=2016&day=02&format=1

Warning: file_get_contents(): http:// wrapper is disabled in the server configuration by allow_url_fopen=0 in /home/smorris/public_html/avon-weather.com/template/admin/showWUFields.php on line 20

Warning: file_get_contents(http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KOHAVON11&month=11&year=2016&day=02&format=1): failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /home/smorris/public_html/avon-weather.com/template/admin/showWUFields.php on line 20
Unable to load data from WU or incorrect WU specified.

- No UV Index?

- Jachym, I see that you have soil data plugins for other software packages. How about one for WeatherCat, too? (Leaf Wetness 1-4, Leaf Temperature 1-4, Soil Temperature 1-4, Soil Moisture 1-4, and ET)

- I followed the instructions to change the icon to my Davis VP2, and did change the one on the first "icons" folder. But the instructions tell me to change the ones in the dark and light folders in the icons folder in "homepage", but there are no such folders or icons.

- The web site name and location that I poked into the setup page still show as Metetemplate and Brno.

- The map under the Climate pulldown is missing, and the map when I click Avon, Ohio is broken.

- METAR for Cleveland, Ohio (KCLE) shows as invalid, as do any other cities I click on on the METAR pulldown.

- Models, RADAR, Extremes, and Warnings don't do anything yet. I assume I need to add blocks for these.

I've got it offline right now, and deleted all but one of the database entries until I could get the old data to import. I haven't even started messing with blocks yet, until I get the basics all working.

I haven't figured out where to put my information in the footer yet, as well as where to put my page tracking scripts. These are easy when each page is a simple HTML page, but I've never fiddled with CSS, so there's a steep learning curve for me. It looks like I'll have several text blocks to do the same stuff I'm currently doing on my basic web page, simply copying that data over to the text block (Soil data, Steel Series gauges, maps and radar, UV Index, contact info (mailto: ), school closing, disclaimer, etc.

I'll just add to it slowly and see if I like how it turns out. My page is sorely in need of an overhaul, and Meteotemplate is pretty amazing. But the adkins family template from 5+ years ago has some great features not on most other templates I've tried over the years!

Test page is at http://www.avon-weather.com/template

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, especially to Jachym!
Steve

BTW, XAir: Poke has stuck with me since CPM and HP BASIC in the early '80s. it was a command used to put data into an array. Peek was used to look in the array. BASIC was easy, as was early HTML. I've not progressed beyond that point, which is why I'm so lost all the time...
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #248 on: November 02, 2016, 09:29:24 PM »
Hi Steve,
I dont have time to answer all the questions, so just to start:
- UV - is included in the current conditions (current conditions block, gauges block)
- homepage icons, ignore that, I should change that, it is no longer relevant
- website name etc. - specified in the main settings at the bottom, in the section you said you ignored so far
- the other errors - I suspect a server problem, also the error you get for the WU, this means your server has the allow_url_fopen set to 0, this is going to cause major problems in practically any block or plugin that uses external data - including all the Metars, forecasts, warnings etc.

You should ask your provider to enable this, this basically blocks your server from the "outside" and is most likely the cause of all the other errors

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #249 on: November 02, 2016, 10:04:53 PM »
Steve,

in V9 as I imported previous data it was a bit different, I think.

So if you have the chance to open this url
http://www.avon-weather.com/template/admin/import.php (it is secured with authorization that only you can know)
there is an icon for WunderGround import. Herein specify your WU ID and click on *show field numbers*. Another window opens and this one I recommend to print out. After that you can fill out the corresponding field numbers and then import data.

If you have already done that before with no success, than I am empty with suggestions.  :-[

Cheers,
Reinhard

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #250 on: November 02, 2016, 10:29:16 PM »
Hi,
it is not going to work, he will get the same error.

Steve, that furl_open disabled means that PHP scripts can only load data from the same server, it will not allow you to load any data from any external url, which includes for example also the METAR, any warnings, models, forecasts, also the data from WU obviously... in other words you must enable this by all means for these to work, but it should not be a problem, just ask your provider.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #251 on: November 02, 2016, 10:38:24 PM »
Hi Steve,
I dont have time to answer all the questions, so just to start:
Thanks so much! I didn't expect to see an answer from you tonight, as you are six hours ahead of me. I appreciate it!

- UV - is included in the current conditions (current conditions block, gauges block)

Solar Radiation is imported and shown as described, but UV Index is not. I don't know if Solar Radiation is used in media in Europe, but other than amongst meteorology enthusiasts it is all but unknown un the US. However UV Index is shown on television weather reports and warnings frequently during the summer, and is what visitors to my web site expect to see. WeatherCat exports the current UV Index (as well as the soil data I asked about) but you are not using that field.

- homepage icons, ignore that, I should change that, it is no longer relevant

Thanks for clarifying.

- website name etc. - specified in the main settings at the bottom, in the section you said you ignored so far

Oops! Somehow I skipped over that, while I filled in the items below. All I've skipped on the setup page is the width/color/mobile settings.

- the other errors - I suspect a server problem, also the error you get for the WU, this means your server has the allow_url_fopen set to 0, this is going to cause major problems in practically any block or plugin that uses external data - including all the Metars, forecasts, warnings etc.

I'll check with them on that. Thanks!

You should ask your provider to enable this, this basically blocks your server from the "outside" and is most likely the cause of all the other errors

Okay, thanks again for your patience. I've read through the wiki a lot over the past four days, but much of this isn't covered. Your usual user is probably more savvy than me. :)

Reinhard, That's where I was trying to import via WU, and got the above error.

So, no one has tried exporting their data as a CSV and then import it into Meteotemplate? That's where I'm running into the above time problem.

Thanks gang!
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #252 on: November 02, 2016, 10:43:43 PM »
Hi Steve,
I guess based on my "daily regime" we probably go to bed at the same time :D When I was replying to your post I was just leaving my office so I didnt have much time and was in a hurry to catch the night bus :D Now Im at home and have about 4 hours to work on Meteotemplate :-)

UV is included in some of the blocks etc. When I was creating MT over a yr ago I didnt know some stations measure it and my station does not even measure solar so it is problematic for me to test this. There are other reasons for not including UV in the db as well (eg. it is not included in most log files by other SW etc.). Right now it would mean rewriting all the scripts, so it just is only in the current blocks.

I did include the soil T etc. in the WCat plugin so that it can be later on included in the blocks you mentioned, just a matter of time, but it is planned

I will look carefully at your CSV problem now, as I said, I was in a hurry when I was replying

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #253 on: November 02, 2016, 10:46:04 PM »
WU is not very reliable so even when you get the furl thing sorted out, if there is other possibility of importing data, then go for it.

Can you please tell me what exactly was the problem when trying to import the data, what the format of the date is etc. Or just post a link to one of these CSV files I will try it on my test server

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #254 on: November 03, 2016, 01:12:13 AM »
Soil T block should be ready soon, I will make it a priority, I remember I included all that info in the WCat current conditions file so that I can add support for WCat to that block too and then I forgot about it :D