Author Topic: Weathercloud  (Read 35879 times)

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
Re: Weathercloud
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 11:24:04 AM »
I'm reading inside humidity as 40% and temp as 71.4?F although the Davis console reading runs 2? degrees warmer than the average house reading measured via a calibrated thermometer.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 03:19:24 PM »
Felix:

My Davis console was also reading about 3˚ F warmer than it actually is inside. I entered a calibration adjustment on my console of -3˚ F (you could also enter the adjustment in WeatherCat but I prefer to have the console and the 'Cat match up).

It appears that whoever's comfort index was used as the standard for Weathercloud would not be comfortable whilst visiting someone else.
Blick

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 03:39:06 PM »
Hello Felix and Blick,

is it possible that WeatherCloud calculates the Comfort Index in ?C ? If it would calculate with lets say 70?C instead of 70?F - then I would understand that this is not comfortable...  ;D

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 08:59:19 PM »
Ha ha Reinhard, you are probably correct.

Jace, I love the name of your company on Weathercloud.
Blick

Felix

• Gale
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 11:10:31 AM »
A 'fix' to the Thermal Comfort Index is in the queue...Weathercloud has acknowledged there was a calculation: .

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2014, 11:23:07 PM »
Yes indeed Felix; they fixed it today.

Kudos to Reinhard. You were correct; Weathercloud thermal comfort index was calculating only in Celsius. They have now repaired it for those of us living in Fahrenheitland. Now I am 50% comfortable, as compared to 5%. Progress.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 04:22:04 AM »
If you turn on the backlight in the Davis console, the inside temperature will be off by around +3? F, as it puts out heat inside the case near enough to the probe to affect it.
Herb

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2014, 06:00:55 AM »
Thanks for the insight Herb. I didn't know that. I don't have mine on long enough or often enough for that to be the reason mine reads high, but now I know if I turn that light on and leave it on, I could be getting readings that are 6˚ high.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2014, 09:15:58 PM »
Yeah, I found that one out the hard way. It was a little dark where the console was positioned, so I turned on the light and just left it on for convenience. I kept noticing after that, that it seemed too high. It was still new, so I suspected the calibration. I used my Fluke 87 to measure the temperature at the same location over a period of time and found it to be consistently 3? F lower on the Fluke. I then entered the bias into the console to match the Fluke and went on about my business. It wasn't long before circumstance had me turning off the light for some reason, and soon thereafter the temperature was showing 3? too low.

One might think that Davis could do a better job in the design, but in reality this is old school technology. If it was up to date with current technology, the console would be no bigger than its display, or even better, an iPhone.
Herb

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2014, 11:00:29 PM »
My console reads high. I have it on the back edge of my desk, and behind/below it are several wall warts, power supply bricks, external hard drives, a printer, etc., all putting off heat. I just ignore the internal temperature.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2014, 12:35:45 AM »
It is difficult to find a spot close to the computer that will give an accurate representation of inside temperature. It's a good thing that inside temperature doesn't matter as much.
Herb

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2014, 10:25:39 AM »
WeatherCat is now available as a link type at WeatherCloud.

Note, it isn't possible to edit the link type of your current device. To use the WeatherCat link type you'll need to create a new device, which will have a new id and key that'll you'll need to enter into your WeatherCloud settings within WeatherCat. This also means all your old WeatherCloud data, followers etc. will be lost (as it is associated with the old device).

Currently there is no difference between the old link type of WeatherLink and the new WeatherCat link type - this may change in the future, so if you're planning to update the link type (highly recommended), it's probably best to do it now.

Our new test account is at http://app.weathercloud.net/d1566279514, which seems to be working fine.

Felix

• Gale
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2014, 11:58:39 AM »
Good to see they've got WeatherCat on the FAQ page in the compatible devices matrix.

I guess I'll take Stu's suggestion and create a new device to preclude possible problems in the future.

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2014, 05:20:51 PM »
Just updated to the new link type with no problems.

:)

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2014, 05:45:16 PM »
I just created a new device with the WeatherCat link. One item to note is that Weathercloud has changed the name of the password field from Password to Key. So what Weathercloud calls a key is called the WeatherCloud Password in the WeatherCat preference window. Might be helpful to conform this Stu.
Blick