Author Topic: Weather Cat won't connect to New Envoy  (Read 6683 times)

dweeks

• Calm
    • KAZFLAGS50
  • Station Details: David Vantage Vue
Re: Weather Cat won't connect to New Envoy
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2018, 06:44:57 PM »
Found the fix.

1. Uninstall WC 3.01

2. Install WC 2.44

Driver: Latest from SiLabsUSBDriver v. 5.05

Works like a charm.

I love it when stuff works. Thanks for the report and for working it until it worked. However, it ought to also work on WC 3.01

FYI, I'm in the other thread as well.

I tried 2.44 no help, and then 3.02 no help either. Silabs 5.05 driver...

What's interesting is that the Davis WeatherLink 6 software operating on the same El Cap Mini is getting data from the ISS via the Weather Envoy just perfectly.

I just can't get Weather Cat to get any data using the same hardware.

I'll next try moving the USB data logger back to the console and taking the Envoy out of the equation. That's not a long term solution, as I have no good place to put the console within the length of the USB cable.

EDIT 10 minutes later. I put the data logger back in the console, taking out the Envoy, and WeatherCat works perfectly.

This means probably I did not set up the Envoy correctly or the new WeatherCat installation correctly to see the Envoy. But I have verified the Comm settings that Silab is being used and the ISS is a Vantage Vue/Envoy.

The Envoy DOES send data to the Mini and Davis Weatherlink sees it.

I'm about stumped.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2018, 07:01:28 PM »
Our Envoy expert (Edouard) will login later this afternoon and might have some insight. You can just stick with this thread. Looks like the issue is with the Envoy setup. Let's see what Edouard has to say.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Exchange Envoy? (Re: Weather Cat won't connect to New Envoy )
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2018, 10:37:41 PM »
Dear dweeks, Blick, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

What's interesting is that the Davis WeatherLink 6 software operating on the same El Cap Mini is getting data from the ISS via the Weather Envoy just perfectly.

I just can't get Weather Cat to get any data using the same hardware.

I'll next try moving the USB data logger back to the console and taking the Envoy out of the equation. That's not a long term solution, as I have no good place to put the console within the length of the USB cable.

EDIT 10 minutes later. I put the data logger back in the console, taking out the Envoy, and WeatherCat works perfectly.

This means probably I did not set up the Envoy correctly or the new WeatherCat installation correctly to see the Envoy. But I have verified the Comm settings that Silab is being used and the ISS is a Vantage Vue/Envoy.

The Envoy DOES send data to the Mini and Davis Weatherlink sees it.

I'm about stumped.

I agree this is a very strange situation, but given that WeatherCat does work fine with your console that seems to rule out any problem with your Mac, its software, WeatherCat, or your data logger.  Since the Weather Envoy is the new piece of hardware in the system there are two possibilities:

• Something has changed and your data logger doesn't work with the new Envoy in some way that is interfering with WeatherCat.
  • There is something defective with your Envoy.

I recall something about some firmware upgrades that could lead to your data logger having a problem with a new Envoy.  When did you buy your Console and Data logger?  If they are relatively old, you might call Davis technical support and see if there is any possibilities of incompatibility.

I realize that it might seem odd for WeatherLink to work while WeatherCat doesn't, but WeatherLink isn't anywhere as demanding on the Davis hardware as WeatherCat is.  So a sporadic problem might not be sufficient for WeatherLink to fail to connect while WeatherCat detects this error and stops.

If I remember correctly, you purchased this Weather Envoy recently.  If you cannot find any other explanation, I would temporarily return to connecting to your station using the console and seek to exchange this Envoy for another one.  Hopefully the next one will behave as they are supposed do.

Sorry, that's the best advice I can offer.

Edouard

dweeks

• Calm
    • KAZFLAGS50
  • Station Details: David Vantage Vue
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2018, 10:42:56 PM »
Edouard,

Thanks.

I did see bits about firmware upgrades for older Envoys, but mine is new.

I might try backing up the Mini, and upgrading it to High Sierra and see what happens.

As I had mentioned in an earlier thread, I had been running successfully on a Macbook Air El Cap before the house move and switch to the Envoy. I tried that machine with the Envoy and it did not work. Same problem...no comms.

The network is different, obviously, but that should not make any difference to WeatherCat talking to the ISS via an Envoy.

I'll let you know if I ever solve the problem.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Old data loggers won't work. (Re: Weather Cat won't connect to New Envoy )
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2018, 11:20:27 PM »
Dear dweeks and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

I did see bits about firmware upgrades for older Envoys, but mine is new.

. . . . .

The problem isn't with Envoy but potentially with your data logger.  I had to replace my Weather Envoy in 2015.  My data logger was purchased at the same time as my weather station back in 2009.  When I attempted to use the older logger in the 2015 Envoy, it wouldn't work at all.  According to the outfit where I bought the Envoy (Scaled Instruments https://www.scaledinstruments.com/) there was a known problem with older data loggers and newer Weather Envoy units.

I called Davis Technical Support and explained my problem.  They sent me a newer data logger that would work in the Envoy I had purchased for free.  How old is your data logger?  It is definitely a potential explanation of your problem.

Let us know.

Cheers, Edouard

kmatley

• Calm
  • Station Details: Vantage pro II, Dedicated Mac Mini
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2019, 08:48:28 PM »
I just got a new Envoy and ran into the same problem as the OP. I called Davis Instruments and they verified that my data logger, which was manufactured in 2008, is not compatible with the newer Envoys, but they wanted $50.00 to replace it with a new one. I called up the dealer and he said that he had always heard that they swapped the old loggers out for new, as Edouard said they did with his. Has anyone else had a recent experience with swapping out an old logger?

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Exchange back in 4/2015 (Re: Weather Cat won't connect to New Envoy )
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2019, 12:10:50 AM »
Dear kmatley and WeatherCat seekers of hardware harmony,

I just got a new Envoy and ran into the same problem as the OP. I called Davis Instruments and they verified that my data logger, which was manufactured in 2008, is not compatible with the newer Envoys, but they wanted $50.00 to replace it with a new one. I called up the dealer and he said that he had always heard that they swapped the old loggers out for new, as Edouard said they did with his. Has anyone else had a recent experience with swapping out an old logger?

Unfortunately, I just checked my records and I was able to make that swap all the way back in April of 2015 - so almost 4 years ago.  That is plenty of time for Davis to change their policy.  Have you contacted the company that sold you the Envoy.  I contacted Ryan of Scaled Instruments before contacting Davis and Ryan told me they would replace the data logger for free.  You might need some help from your vendor to avoid the $50 exchange fee.

Sorry, that's all I can add on this one.

Edouard