Author Topic: WeatherCat V1.0 Released  (Read 10039 times)

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Strong Breeze
WeatherCat V1.0 Released
« on: May 06, 2012, 10:51:46 AM »
We are pleased to announce the release and immediate availability of WeatherCat version 1.00 for Apple Macintosh computers.

WeatherCat is weather station software for Macintosh computers.

WeatherCat is designed to work with hardware-based weather stations; as of this time the following stations are supported:
  • Davis Vantage, Vue, Envoy, Monitor and Wizard stations. WeatherCat also supports the WeatherLinkIP data-logger.
  • La Crosse WS23xx range of stations.
  • Oregon Scientific WMR 928/968 stations.
  • WeatherHawk stations equipped with an IP server module.
As data is gathered and stored in its database, WeatherCat allows you to view weather statistics such as the lowest temperature, or the highest wind speed over any time period stored in the database. In addition, WeatherCat can generate and upload simple web pages which offer quick 'canned' solution to get your weather data on-line as quickly as possible, as well as template driven ?custom? web pages that can contain current conditions, graphs, gauges, statistics, webcam images and time-lapse movies; these web pages can be uploaded to your server by WeatherCat for display via a web browser anywhere in the world. A live list of all possible 'tags' that can be used in your templates are available here.

WeatherCat can also send your weather data to the Weather Underground (Wunderground), the Citizens Weather Observer Program (C.W.O.P.) and provides close to real time Custom C.G.I. upload to a web-server for your own web-based applications.

WeatherCat monitors the weather and can run a set of pre-defined and user programmed alerts that can trigger emails and/or run scripts should an alert trigger; for example to switch on your sprinklers, heating or cooling. In addition WeatherCat can integrate with other systems via its AppleScript interface.

WeatherCat is designed to run 24/7/365 and doesn?t normally require user interaction or maintenance. Important events are notified via email ? for example WeatherCat may detect a problem uploading weather data to Wunderground ? it will typically be able to resolve the issue, but if it can?t, will send you an email.

Other features include:
  • Real time gauges
  • Scrollable and synchronised graphs/daily data/satellite imagery with direct access to any date in your database (just enter the date you want to view)
  • Comprehensive reports - recent, daily, monthly, annual. Daily and monthly reports are saved as PDF's to disk, email option available
  • Webcam integration via local connection, third party software or remote camera via http
  • A banner generator for on-line forums/web pages
  • Programmable current conditions rules to suit your particular climate
  • Forecasts (if available from your weather station)
  • Easy to use daily rain editor
  • In-built weather journal (journal can be posted to web-pages)
  • Unlimited custom graphs with various drawing/plot styles
  • Clients for OS X (supplied in the distribution) and iOS - both work over local network and internet
  • Great user generated custom web-templates
  • LWC2 compatibility (will import data and settings on first run)
  • A custom CGI feature that can send raw weather data to your web-server in real time for further processing/display
  • Additional custom web file processing for more dynamic web pages
  • Data recording periods down to 1 minute with adaptive sampling
  • Localised in German, French and Italian.
  • Easy to understand central status view and more!
We can't list all the features here - please feel free to browse the WeatherCat User Manual for more information.

Requirements
  • Mac OS X 10.5 or later
  • Supported weather station hardware
  • Optional web-cam

Download
Download: WeatherCat (V1.00, 16.2 MByte).

Pricing/More Details
WeatherCat is available to purchase now and costs ?41.95. More details can be found on the WeatherCat page

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Re: WeatherCat V1.0 Released
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 08:39:36 PM »
Hi WeatherCat Fans
 WeatherCat is now available for download on MacUpdate  [woohoo]
 the word is getting about the best weather software for the Mac [tup]
Way to go Stu
 [cheers1]

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 11:22:44 PM »
Thanks Randall, it's nice to finally get there.

Wouldn't have happened without you folks testing the living daylights out of it and finding weird and wonderful bugs for me to fix  :)

Thank guys [tup]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Cat evangelism (Re: WeatherCat V1.0)
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 12:14:15 AM »
Howdy Randall, Stu, and WeatherCat fans,

WeatherCat is now available for download on MacUpdate  [woohoo]
 the word is getting about the best weather software for the Mac [tup]

We can all help Stu by writing a review on MacUpdate to encourage the undecided to try da' Cat.

Wouldn't have happened without you folks testing the living daylights out of it and finding weird and wonderful bugs for me to fix  :)

;) Awe shucks Stu,  I thought this was a game of hide and seek and you put all those bugs in there for us to find!!  [lol2]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

embayweather

• Strong Breeze
    • DW3656
    • lENGLAND128
    • Lancastrian Imaging
  • Station Details: Oregon WM928, Intel Mac 2.5Ghz, I5 Quad core, Met Office spec manual instruments, Cat, WD, 1-wire, Labjack, Lightning Radar
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 12:41:59 PM »
Bit like having a baby really. Lots of difficulties getting there with a long gestation time, but so worth it when it arrives. AN amazing job, and so pleased that it is now out there. Well done.
But , I suppose like babies, they want feeding and changing constantly, and tend to grow. So I guess, Stu, you are now taking your daddy duties seriously and won't get any rest looking after it.

Thank you and best wishes

Mike

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 06:08:48 PM »
Thanks Mike - an interesting analogy  :)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
references to LWC in reviews of da' Cat? (Re: Cat evangelism)
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 06:39:27 PM »
Howdy Stu and WeatherCat fans,

I just fetched my old review of LWC on MacUpdate to . . . . . remind me of what I said!  ;D

I need to write something substantially different to review WeatherCat, but I thought I should ask this question first: how should we describe the relationship between WeatherCat and LWC (if at all?)

WeatherCat appears to be a brand new program so folks would understandably be nervous about "teething bugs."  So it would be nice to describe WeatherCat as the descendant of LWC (or something analogous.)  Stu, would you prefer that we not mention LWC at all in such reviews and have da' Cat stand purely on its own feet?

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 08:34:27 PM »
Certainly in my mind Edouard it's a different program - whilst it can import LWC data and settings, internally it's fundamentally different (hence some of the weird bugs we saw, such as corrupt barometers).

Having said that, the fundamental operation is similar to LWC (I wanted it to 'feel' familiar) but it lacks some of the features LWC had (i.e. multiple locations, WeatherLink importer). On the other hand it has other features LWC didn't have - reports, daily view, rain editor, (much) better stats engine (allowing things like frost days) and so on.

So, the way I see it is as a new program which can do some of the stuff LWC could do - it is somewhat less mature for sure - no SDK for example, but I think it has good potential :)

Hope that helps,
Stu.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Okay, think I know how to "spin it." (Re: WeatherCat V1.0)
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 10:03:53 PM »
Howdy Stu,

Certainly in my mind Edouard it's a different program - whilst it can import LWC data and settings, internally it's fundamentally different (hence some of the weird bugs we saw, such as corrupt barometers).

Okay, that's what I needed to know!  I'll try to write that review . . . . amongst all the other stuff I've gotta do!

xtommo

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: LaCrosse WS2355 on iMac 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 01:24:18 PM »
When does the last beta expire? I am on holidays at the moment and haven't had a chance to buy the final version yet. It's been nice knowing how cold it is home while I've been on holidays enjoying the Japanese spring weather.

Randall75

• Storm
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 09:30:25 PM »
Hi xtommo
 I believe Stu said the end of May
Version 1 is good for 14 days

[cheers1]

lakedog

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW4001, DW4184, D9315
    • KGAGAINE13, KGASAUTE2, KGAGAINE24
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro(Phasing out, failing wind speed), Davis Vantage Pro2
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 03:58:01 PM »
Stu,

I just saw the comment that WC does not have the WeatherLink importer. My plan this weekend was to replace a pc with WeatherLink at a weekend cabin with an old MacBook Pro with WC. This station has a very long history of data, including a number of years of water temps at different levels in a lake, which I wanted to preserve and transfer. This gap in WC will be a problem.

Would there be a solution by installing LWC first, importing the WeatherLink data, then upgrading to WC? Any caveats?

John

Randall75

• Storm
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 04:32:40 PM »
Hu John
 I believe thats your only solution at the moment Install LWC import it then upgrade to WC a least you'll have all your data
 [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
15 days on da' Cat! (Re: WeatherCat V1.0 Released)
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 07:01:39 PM »
Howdy Stu and WeatherCat fans,

Things have been so crazy that I've not been able to allow da' Cat to just run.  However, just before upgrading to 1.01β I noticed that WeatherCat 1.0 has been chugging along for 15 days without interruption:

Great work as always Stu!!!  [rock]