Author Topic: Meteotemplate  (Read 137687 times)

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
  • Station Details: WH1080
Re: Meteotemplate
« Reply #315 on: November 08, 2016, 12:19:42 AM »
Soil block: I will try tomorrow (or technically "today" my time) :D

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #316 on: November 08, 2016, 01:55:56 AM »
Oh... I see... sorry for the confusion, the Moon icon in this case represents "night" - so it means the night has just began. It is not related to the moon stage because that would be quite difficult to do, Moon is often visible during the day etc. The top graphic shows day/night stage.

Okay, now I understand. Thanks for the clarification.

Soil block: I will try tomorrow (or technically "today" my time) :D

No rush, I was just curious. Thank you!
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #317 on: November 08, 2016, 02:26:36 AM »

I see you now have data I your file so I can test it

mcrossley

• Gale
  • Sorry, I'm not a WeatherCat user!
    • ICHESHIR25
    • Wilmslow Astro Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 + home brew
« Reply #318 on: November 08, 2016, 10:01:52 AM »
Oh... I see... sorry for the confusion, the Moon icon in this case represents "night" - so it means the night has just began. It is not related to the moon stage because that would be quite difficult to do, Moon is often visible during the day etc. The top graphic shows day/night stage.

Okay, now I understand. Thanks for the clarification.
Hi Jachym, personally like Steve I would find that block very confusing - simple graphics shouldn't need 'clarification', if it does then maybe it needs a tweak? The Moon icon to me looking at that block represents its current position in the sky, after all the Sun icon does represent its position during the day ;)

Whilst calculating the Moons current position is non-trivial as you say, for the purposes of a small display a simple interpolation between rise and set times would suffice. I'd use the shading to represent the progress of the night, and the icon to represent the Moons position - but that's me! ;)
Mark

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #319 on: November 08, 2016, 10:07:10 AM »
Yes I agree, with the day (Sun) it is quite obvious, but what icon would you then use for night...

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Meteotemplate - Soil 2.0
« Reply #320 on: November 08, 2016, 11:26:52 AM »
Hi guys,
just updated the soil block - now also supports weatherCat, you dont have to worry about conversions or units, just give the URL to your realtimeMT and specify which sensors you want to enable.

One more thing - I highly recommend you watch the blog, everytime I release something new I post it there. But there is just so many forums with MT topic now that I really cant post everything on each one, so here I usually only post stuff that is particularly for WCat, but very often I release stuff that works for everyone, so if you want to stay up-to-date, you can watch the blog, there is an RSS feed and I also send out newsletters with summary of all new stuff approximately once per month.

If you are in the U.S. you might for example be interested in the new Snow plugin I released yesterday.
Enjoy

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #321 on: November 08, 2016, 03:17:57 PM »
with the day (Sun) it is quite obvious, but what icon would you then use for night...
I think the Sun and the Moon operate on different schedules. While the Sun is always visible (assuming the clouds are not too thick) in the "day time", the Moon is not so accommodating. It is not always visible, even if it is "night time"! Therefore, it is not always a suitable metaphor for "night time". I think Alfred E. Newman wrapped up the conundrum well when he reminded us, many decades ago; "Although the Sun is many times bigger than the Moon, it's still farther away." [goofy] Hard to argue with that! (Note to Jachym: don't worry if Google can't properly translate that quotation!)

Maybe whoever wins today will tackle this problem in their first 100 days... [banghead] Or you could use the Moonrise/Moonset times, regardless of where it is in relation to "night time"? I'd contact Arrdman Animations, Ltd, they probably have the official schedules for the Moon's positions because of their connections to <cheese>!
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: Meteotemplate - Soil 2.0
« Reply #322 on: November 08, 2016, 03:21:40 PM »
Thank you! Installed and working fine. My particular color combination makes the gray on gray text a little difficult to read, but that's not important because the graphic and black text give all the important information.

It seems to have excess vertical spacing between the upper graphics and center graphics, and between the center graphics and the word MORE. Maybe that's due to my narrow 15% stack, though. Thanks, Jachym!

If in the future you want to offer more information, I'd request adding additional sensor data in the MORE tab. But of course, you are not grabbing that data in the upload or database.

The other bit of info I'd request is historical information, which is what soil data is all about, anyway. I have several years worth in the database that isn't being used. [EDIT] Oops, no I don't, you don't store those parameters. You just use the current info and then forget it. Nevermind. ;)

Thanks again,
Steve

Hi guys,
just updated the soil block - now also supports weatherCat, you dont have to worry about conversions or units, just give the URL to your realtimeMT and specify which sensors you want to enable.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #323 on: November 08, 2016, 03:32:19 PM »
Hi Steve,
with regards to the spacing - the block always adjusts based on the highest block height, so that there is no blank space, so if you placed it alongside some higher  block, it makes these spaces, if you use it as a separate block, it will not do this.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #324 on: November 08, 2016, 03:40:47 PM »
Ah, okay. I have three columns, so the block next to the Soil Parameter block is just random based on whatever is in the stacks above. I wouldn't think it would have any effect on spacing.

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #325 on: November 08, 2016, 03:46:56 PM »
Feature Request:

This one's probably not possible, but I'll suggest it anyway. As a new user to Meteotemplate, I am experimenting with the layout of the block quite a bit. Several times, I have reset the homepage completely to try different column percentages. When doing so, I've taken screen shots of the current layout so that I know what to type in when I create the new layout.

My request, since you already have the option of saving the layout/settings, is to name those saved files, and be able to retrieve them to use a previously saved layout again. An example might be a winter layout with snow data and my school closing block, and summer with soil data, UV, etc.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #326 on: November 08, 2016, 04:26:54 PM »
An example might be a winter layout with snow data and my school closing block, and summer with soil data, UV, etc.
I support this request. If possible, would be cool.  :)
Reinhard

jachym

• Strong Breeze
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #327 on: November 08, 2016, 05:25:00 PM »
This can already be easily achieved, the file is called indexDesktopLayout.txt and it is saved in your admin directory. Just rename it to something, that will force the script to allow you to create a new such file and then when you want to use it, always rename the one you want to use to indexDesktopLayout - same goes for mobile.

jhoke

• Gentle Breeze
  • this space for rent
    • EW5604
    • KPAALBRI11
    • Indian Mountain Lakes - Carbon County Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, MacMini (i5 2.5Ghz 4GBRam 500GB HD, 4TB attached storage), other bits coming soon (UV, etc)
« Reply #328 on: November 08, 2016, 07:23:31 PM »
Yes I agree, with the day (Sun) it is quite obvious, but what icon would you then use for night...

I could be a bit of a wierdo and say the face of Sandman from Vertigo comics ;)

But seriously, the moon and stars may be workable... something along the lines of :

http://www.freepik.com/free-icon/night-symbol-of-the-moon-with-a-cloud-and-stars_731117.htm

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #329 on: November 08, 2016, 08:57:06 PM »
Thanks, I'll give it a try!

Leaf wetness works, as it is sprinkling here now. :)

This can already be easily achieved, the file is called indexDesktopLayout.txt and it is saved in your admin directory. Just rename it to something, that will force the script to allow you to create a new such file and then when you want to use it, always rename the one you want to use to indexDesktopLayout - same goes for mobile.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA