Author Topic: Losing Connection  (Read 1539 times)

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
Losing Connection
« on: July 24, 2018, 06:47:34 PM »
WeatherCat is losing connection to the Vantage Pro 2  console every few days. It's always in the evening. The system Console log reports "WeatherCat: sensor failure" and then "***WARNING*** WeatherCat was not able to fetch all the weather data from the hardware after repeated tries." It continues like this until I restart the computer. The Vantage Pro 2 console does not display any error message. All physical and electrical connections are okay.

Davis Instruments Vantage Pro 2
WeatherCat v3.01 Build 5
Mac OS X Yosemite v10.10.5

How do I find out what sensor, if any, is failing?

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Losing Connection
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 07:41:05 PM »
Grand:

Go to Tools | Live Data in WC. It will display your sensor errors.

Blick

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Losing Connection
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 07:44:02 PM »
Also, this is what the manual says: If there are a lot of sensor errors then the problem lies between the weather station and its sensors ? if wireless try repositioning the station, if wired, check the connections. In all cases it?s worth checking any batteries.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Sensor errors shouldn't cause lost connection. (Re: Losing Connection)
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 10:45:00 PM »
Dear Grand, Blick, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

WeatherCat is losing connection to the Vantage Pro 2  console every few days. It's always in the evening. The system Console log reports "WeatherCat: sensor failure" and then "***WARNING*** WeatherCat was not able to fetch all the weather data from the hardware after repeated tries." It continues like this until I restart the computer. The Vantage Pro 2 console does not display any error message. All physical and electrical connections are okay.

Blick has given you the correct place to check for sensor errors within WeatherCat.  It is also possible to check the status of a sensor within the console itself.  Check the troubleshooting guide that is chapter 4 in my old Davis console manual starting on page 34 or so.  The manual is available online if you have lost your copy.

However, if WeatherCat is reporting connection problems that go away when your Mac is rebooted, most likely the problem is in between the console and your Mac.  Have you tried the troubleshooting tips on the WeatherCat Wiki?

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=Electronic_Interference_Effects_on_Station_Hardware/Data_Logger/USB_Cable

The Ferrite clamps are highly recommended.

Finally, if rebooting makes the problem go away, it could be something on your Mac itself?  If this is happening every few days could you be running short of memory?  I have to reboot my Mac every 3 days to make sure there enough free RAM.

Let us know what you uncover.

Cheers, Edouard