Author Topic: Preview of Autumn 2019  (Read 1796 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Preview of Autumn 2019
« on: September 16, 2019, 10:44:13 PM »
Dear WeatherCat observers of the seasons turning,

The forecast had been reasonably steady around here: very hot weather through Saturday cooling to a chance of showers today.  The hot weather on Saturday is evident on the historical data from WeatherCat:

The high of 95.1˚ F (35.1˚ C)  with a low relative humidity of 17% made it basically desert conditions.  Nonetheless the weather cooled a lot on Sunday and as forecast, a cold front came though last night and this morning.  Here is WeatherCat's data on the current conditions:

The temperatures are around 25˚ F cooler and the humidity is back up to a comfortable level.  The rain was better than expected.  We picked 0.15" (3.81mm) of rain which was 50% more than forecast.  The rainfall rate was surprisingly high with a peek rate of 0.54" per hour (13.7mm per hour.)  That was enough to wash a lot of dust that had accumulated over the hot dry summer.  I took a few pictures of the unusual scene.  Here is the wet pavement against a hill of dried out grasses:

Here is a puddle in the foreground and the partly cloudy sky in the background:

Finally, here are some withered Naked Lady flowers next to a drain pipe:

I know it is officially still summer.  Autumn won't occur this year until next Monday the 23rd.  You can look up the exact time when it happens at your home down on this website:

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20190923T0750&msg=September%20Equinox%202019

Still, for California this is much more of a preview of fall than summertime weather.  So here is a one week preview of what I hope will be fortuitous winter season for all of us!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Autumn foliage and quarter Moon. (Re: Autumn 2019)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 11:51:03 PM »
Dear WeatherCat observers of the seaons turning,

Tomorrow is the day of the Autumnal Equinox.  Since it happens before I normally make it to this forum I thought I'd better post something today to commemorate the event.  As usual, California isn't a good place for autumn colors but I did manage to capture this scene:

If you look carefully, you can see the waning last quarter Moon in the gap between the leaves slightly above the center of the photo.

Cheers, Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
The "new" colors of fall in California . . . (Re: Autumn 2019)
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 12:26:54 AM »
Dear WeatherCat faithful,

For many of you the fall foliage has already come and gone.  However, it does take longer in California with our longer growing season.  This morning I captured this tree putting on a respectable display.

These two trees captured the reality of California these days:

The tree in the background has some nice color but was already losing many of its leaves.  The tree in the foreground is an even more extreme example.  It has been so hot and dry these past few weeks that many trees are simply losing their leaves directly from the heat damage.

Of course there is another example of "Autumn color" that is becoming more common here in California:

Luckily, Amazon still had some of these Champion 3100/2800 Watt generators in Oregon.  All the local stores are sold out of portable generators.  Champion favors the bright yellow colors of autumn.  Honda favors red hues.  Whatever the color, portable generators are becoming very fashionable as all the electric utilities are cutting the power off in California.  We are expecting to lose our power tomorrow sometime and perhaps won't get it back until Tuesday.  We will be better off than many but clearly businesses and residence really suffer without electricity.  Alas there is nothing one can do but prepare as best as one can.

Such are da' conditions that prevail in California during a thus far hot and dry autumn, . . . . 

Oh well, . . . . . . Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Preview of Autumn 2019
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 02:58:40 AM »
Let us know  how you fare in all this. It's scary out there so stay safe.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
At last! A gasoline powered blower!! (Re: Autumn 2019)
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 11:09:16 PM »
Dear WeatherCat household handymen,

I know that some places are already covered in snow, but here in California we are still waiting for rain and the leaves are falling.  Our yard is mostly left "au naturel," but I have to try to do some cleaning especially in Autumn.  The rest of the year I can get along nicely with a 20 volt cordless leaf blower.  However, that's a bit weak for leaves embedded in vegetation.  I could have bought a gasoline powered blower, but this was really silly considering it would be used a few times a year.  However thanks to the electricity shutoffs, all of a sudden I had a new option!

Sure, it still has the hassle of a cord, but I can move the generator anywhere I need the power so I have most of the advantages of a gasoline powered blower without the additional expense and maintenance.  This combination made quick work of the only area I needed to clean up that was beyond reach of household AC outlets:

In fact the combination was so successful that I collected more leaves than I can put into our composing recycle can!  I can't say I would recommend this scheme unless you need a generator for other reasons.  Nonetheless, I'm supposed to run the generator periodically until I'm ready to store it away for the winter.  So by cleaning my yard, I was able to kill 2 birds with one stone!

Now if somebody would come up with a robot that would collect all the leaves, store them up appropriately, and put them into the recycle can on garbage day!  [biggrin]

Cheers, Edouard   [cheers1]

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 12:07:50 AM »
The Sycamore trees have finally dropped their leaves.   The fall has not been typical.   a lot of rain, moisture, frost  to keep the leaves from drying out enough to drop.

Today  the lawn man came and removed the leaves that we did have and it looks nice.   Kind of hoping that the snow predicted for Kansas city stays to the south,  but I have been out  to the station, checking on things, trying to recall to take down the fars next spring for a real good cleaning.  Did check the rain collector, removed some leaves and other schmutz that got in there.

I guess the only thing to do is wait and see how the snow does.   
Two important things to remember:  Don't eat the yellow snow and never make snow angles in a dog park.
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 06:55:23 PM »
Snowing here today. And tomorrow. And the next day. etc. We need the water so we are encouraged. The wind blew most of our aspen leaves away and I took care of the rest with a battery-powered blower. The battery lasts 15 minutes, which is just long enough to get the job done.
Blick