Author Topic: Hi from the New Forest, England  (Read 2623 times)

chrisecurtisblackfield

• Calm
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue, Macbook Air, weather.curtisfamily.org.uk
Hi from the New Forest, England
« on: August 01, 2019, 09:19:27 AM »
Hello from the New Forest in Hampshire, Southern England.
I?m actually not new here, but have been away from weathercat for more than five years and have come back with a new user name.
I used weathercat to run a weather station at the school where I worked until retirement, but never had a spare mac to use at home until my 2012 MacBook Air retired too!
I?m not sure whether to be pleased or a little disappointed that weathercat is so similar to what I remembered. There are lots of helpful tweaks and corrections, but it?s still basically the same. It?s great that it?s so solid and reliable, and compared with some other software I?ve tried is clear and well documented and ?just works?, but software and services to support and work with weather stations is just not a vibrant and developing field anywhere at present, sadly. I still see citizen science as a huge opportunity, but the economics and logistics are very hard to sustain, I guess.

The weather station here is a Vantage Vue. http://Http://weather.curtisfamily.org.uk.

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
Re: Hi from the New Forest, England
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 12:09:39 PM »
Welcome back!  ThU32:-)
Reinhard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 04:02:10 PM »
Welcome Back, chris!
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome back Chris! (Re: Hi from the New Forest, England)
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 10:06:17 PM »
Dear Chris, Reinhard, X-Air, and WeatherCat welcome wagon, . . . .

Welcome back Chris to the WeatherCat forum! . . .

. . . .
I?m not sure whether to be pleased or a little disappointed that weathercat is so similar to what I remembered.
. . . .

I'm not sure exactly what you were looking for in terms of changes to WeatherCat, there are some important updates that are very useful once you get used to them.  Custom Text Windows are extremely handy.  Synthetic channels are also very useful if you have to be willing to get your hands dirty with AppleScript.

WeatherCat has also been forced to "adjust" to the changing environment.  It has had the ability to upload to Twitter for some time, but Stu had to completely rewrite that functionality when Apple removed the  APIs from macOS.  So simply keeping WeatherCat the same has been harder than it should have been.

Once more - welcome back!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 04:20:59 PM »
Welcome back Chris

Yes the Cat has stayed the same but with a lot of tweaks and other thing to make it a better system,

Just look through all the things you can do with it

cheers