Author Topic: need html help!  (Read 2872 times)

Doc

• Strong Breeze
  • Fly by night Eccentric
    • N9CXI
    • kinnindia
    • N9CXI Eastwood Indianapolis Indiana WX station
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, Mac mini, 2gig Ram 25tb storage, 1 weather web cams.
need html help!
« on: April 26, 2012, 05:53:40 PM »
I just changed ISPs and I now have one that allows me to use CGI scripts for things like counters and guestbooks and such.  I would love to have a counter that works, but for the life of me, I can't seem to get it to work, I don't get any errors, it just sits there with a graphic with a question mark in it.  So anybody out there want to walk this old man through what seems to be an easy task?  I'd appreciate it  [cheers1]

Doc
Take care and have fun!  Slainte Mah!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Is there a counter included in hosting? (Re: need html help!)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »
Howdy Doc and WeatherCat fans,

I just changed ISPs and I now have one that allows me to use CGI scripts for things like counters and guestbooks and such.  I would love to have a counter that works, but for the life of me, I can't seem to get it to work, I don't get any errors, it just sits there with a graphic with a question mark in it. 

To be honest, I never cared much for hit counters so I've never made much of an effort to make them work.  I remember long ago trying to get an example in a programming book to work and failing[banghead]

Where did you get the counter that you are trying to use?  Some web-hosting providers include a few simple server scripts like emailing the contents of a form and stuff like that.  If your provider has a counter, you might give that a try and if it doesn't work - ask them!!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Doc

• Strong Breeze
  • Fly by night Eccentric
    • N9CXI
    • kinnindia
    • N9CXI Eastwood Indianapolis Indiana WX station
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, Mac mini, 2gig Ram 25tb storage, 1 weather web cams.
Re: need html help!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 09:00:39 PM »
Yep, I'm trying to get a generic hit counter to work.  And it's one provided in a library of cgi scripts from my new provider, and I have asked them for help too.  So far, no luck  [goofy]

Doc
Take care and have fun!  Slainte Mah!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Some hosting technical support! (Re: need html help!)
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 11:04:16 PM »
Hi Doc and WeatherCat fans,

Yep, I'm trying to get a generic hit counter to work.  And it's one provided in a library of cgi scripts from my new provider, and I have asked them for help too.  So far, no luck 

Bummer dude! .

If they have a script on their server, they ought to know how to make it work.  I think you'd better become "assertive" in your insistence that they stand behind their products.  Perhaps these aren't the folks you want to be dealing with.  :(

Oh well . . . . .

Cheers, Edouard