Author Topic: First storm of the 2016-17 North CA rainy season  (Read 19331 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Acacia loses an even larger branch. (Re: 2016-17 North CA rainy season)
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2017, 08:02:24 AM »
In the meantime, I've got an awful lot of wood to clear - lucky me . . . . .  [banghead]

Sorry about the tree, but you needed to take a break from working on the Buick anyway.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Acacia branch finally trimmed back. (Re: 2016-17 North CA rainy season)
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2017, 11:58:25 PM »
Dear WeatherCat handymen about the house,

Yesterday, I managed to finish trimming all the small branches trimmed away from the broken branch on our Acacia tree.  I could do this any earlier because I had no place to put the material.  I filled up 2-1/2 64 gallon green cans thanks to borrowing a neighbor's can.  I had to wait for garage day to get the can empty once more.  Today it was time to remove the large trunk of the branch.  Here is a photo of that branch stripped of everything else:

I'm a bit leery of chainsaws so I cut all by hand.  It was a bit of a struggle but clean living prevailed!  :)  Here is what the branch looked after my final cut:

Alas the break between the two branches has frozen.  I was hoping to close the gap, but I couldn't budge it.  I hope the other branch at this "Y" will survive.  Here is the wheelbarrow loaded with the wood from the branch:

Definitely plenty of wood.  Fortunately, I had a good use for it in the yard.

Just another day in the "paradise"  [rolleyes2] that is California . . . . .

Cheers, Edouard

P.S. Our arborist will come and seriously thin the tree, but they can't come until mid-April.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Ready for another "AR"? (Re: 2016-17 North CA rainy season)
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2017, 09:20:30 PM »
Dear WeatherCat drought extreme weather watchers,

It has been darn right boring weather-wise here in Northern California.  We had almost 2 weeks of dry weather.  Fortunately, this week "business is picking up."  We had a first series of storms that brought us 1.33" of rain (33.8mm.)  However, the main event is expected to arrive Friday.  It is once more expected to have a subtropical tap providing an Atmospheric River ("AR") that should dump a lot of rain over Northern California.  There is another website devoted to Atmospheric Rivers Created jointly by Plymouth State University and Scripps Institute of Oceanography:

http://vortex.plymouth.edu/~j_cordeira/ARPortal/Current/products.html

Here is the expected Atmospheric River plume expected for Friday:

It does appear that Northern California and presumably parts East will be getting still more precipitation!  This storm should be sufficient to bring us over our normal rainfall for March. If so that would be the 4th month in a row of above normal rainfall. 

We'll take it!  [cheer]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
April's first "AR" event (Re: 2016-17 North CA rainy season)
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2017, 11:07:26 PM »
Dear WeatherCat West coast drought extreme weather watchers,

Can you believe it?  It has taken a whole 7 days for the first Atmospheric River event to occur in April.  However tardy, it appears to make up for it with ferocity.  Here is the forecasted Integrated Vapor Transport for tomorrow:

It does appear that the San Francisco Bay Area is going to get seriously wet!

Fortunately, we had almost a full two weeks without rain.  Between that and the increased solar energy, the soils have substantially dried out.  Still it looks like we'll get enough rain that some hydrological problems seem unavoidable.

All the hatches have been battened down!

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: First storm of the 2016-17 North CA rainy season
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2017, 11:59:33 PM »
Looks like a bad "Souwester"! Everything is backwards on the Left coast!
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Lost another branch (Re: 2016-17 North CA rainy season)
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2017, 12:16:20 AM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat home maintenance types,

Looks like a bad "Souwester"!

Afraid so!  We lost a good sized branch on our Crepe Myrtle:

It is a nasty breach of the trunk:

I hope the tree will make it though.

Everything is backwards on the Left coast!

[wink] At the risk of being utterly politically incorrect.  I fear on the West coast, being to the left has made everything utterly backwards!  [biggrin]   As one example, in today's news it was reported that it will take 2 years to make permanent repairs to the Oroville Dam.  Another one of those cases where there is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over?  [rolleyes2]

Just another day in paradise . . . . . .

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: First storm of the 2016-17 North CA rainy season
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2017, 12:42:58 AM »
Edouard:

I love your grow boxes and the footpath (sidewalk) in the photo! Nicely done, sir.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
April already over normal. (Re: 2016-17 North CA rainy season)
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2017, 10:57:18 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat home maintainers,

I love your grow boxes and the footpath (sidewalk) in the photo! Nicely done, sir.

Well it does look very nice, but it wasn't my doing.  My Dad had this done when he had the driveway redone at our house.  Since my Dad was a mechanical engineer designing electrical generating stations, he understood the properties of concrete.  He had a horrible time getting the contractor to do what he wanted, but he wasn't going to accept anything less.

In other news I have new storm related damage photos similar to last year:

The grasses had grown quite tall with the sunshine in-between storms and the winds were strong enough to break the stalks.  Here is another example:

We picked up 2.15" of rain from this storm when normal rainfall for April is only 1.63"!  Another storm seems likely for midweek and the models are suggesting a third storm after that for the following week.  So this wet winter is definitely continuing!

Cheers, Edouard