Author Topic: WeatherCat Version 1.2.0 Released  (Read 8764 times)

Administrator

• Administrator
  • Strong Breeze
WeatherCat Version 1.2.0 Released
« on: July 14, 2013, 02:25:24 PM »
We are very pleased to announce the release and immediate availability of WeatherCat version 1.2.0.

This is a free update for existing owners.

Major changes since 1.1.5 include:
1. Added stats for the following additional channels:
   T1 through T8 (extra temperature sensors 1 to 8 )
   H1 through H8 (extra humidity sensors 1 to 8 )
   LW1 through LW4 (leaf wetness sensors 1 to 4 )
   SM1 through SM4 (soil moisture sensors 1 to 4 )
   ST1 through ST4 (soil temperature sensors 1 to 4 )
These channels can now be graphed on 1 hour type custom graphs and can be queried with the STAT$ custom web tag.

2. Data Export (Tools->Data Export) - new implementation. Exports can be created manually or automatically on a daily basis. Two types of export are available - weather data or hourly data.

3. Added the following tools: Met-Office uploader, WeatherBug uploader, PWSWeather uploader, OpenWeatherMap uploader.

4. Added a MySQL driver. This tool can upload your weather data to a MySQL database opening up a world of applications not previously available to WeatherCat - charting and analysis for example (e.g. High-Charts, JpGraph, GraPHPite, pChart and so on). Features: Auto-import of initial data. Uploading of historical data. Variable rate upload frequency depending on data (fast for wind, slower for other data), resolution down to 1 second.

5. Various minor improvements and bug fixes. For full details please see the wiki at: http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Release_Notes or the release notes included in the 'Documentation' folder of the distribution.

Note: When first run, version 1.2.0 will update your hourly data on disk - this may take a minute or two.

Requirements
Mac OS X 10.6.8 or later (Intel only)
An older release that supports PowerPC machines is available to download from our WeatherCat page: http://trixology.com/weathercat/

Download:
http://resources.trixology.com/downloads/WeatherCat.zip (18.0MB, build 785)

SDK
A software development kit is also available for WeatherCat, documentation and example project included (Xcode 4)): http://resources.trixology.com/downloads/WeatherCatSDK120.zip

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks Stu! (Re: WeatherCat Version 1.2.0 Released)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
Howdy Stu and WeatherCat fans,  [cat]

Sorry, I'm continuing to be battered on all fronts so I just race through the WeatherCat Forum when I can.

Still, I did notice the 1.2 release and  . . . . . .

Thanks Stu for all the work you do!!

You rock!  [rock]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S.  Now off to paint a dashboard bezel for only  . . . . . . the third time!!   [banghead]

mattabadie

• Calm
Re: WeatherCat Version 1.2.0 Released
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 01:49:26 AM »
Where can I find the Weatherbug upload utility? I'm not able to find it the online tab of the settings screen.

ELO

• Gentle Breeze
    • KCOBRECK14
    • Weather in the Highlands
  • Station Details: Old Davis WMII, Heated Rain Collector, Mac Mini
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 03:12:47 AM »
Look near the bottom under the Tools menu.

Rick

N8NOE

• Strong Breeze
    • N8NOE-WX
    • KMIWATER7
    • N8NOE's Home Page (WX Link of Front )
  • Station Details: OSX Mountain Lion Server, WMR968
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 11:36:33 AM »
GREAT Work.........
Took a Bit to get Everything back on a Fresh Reload here, but well worth it..
Forgot REALLY HOW much you have added into the Great Software...
THANKS!...
Jeff-N8NOE

malex

• Calm
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 04:53:05 PM »
Just registered my copy of Weather Cat 1.15 last week so still very much a learner. Downloaded version 1.2 today and the option to select my station the WH1080 is missing from the list of stations. Could you advise how I go about adding the WH 1080 onto the list of possible stations to use.
Thanks
Malex

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 05:03:22 PM »
Hi Malex,
Check the version you've downloaded - there are older versions on the WeatherCat page for machines that won't run the latest build - these won't have the station driver you need.

Here's a direct link to the 1.2.0 download:
http://resources.trixology.com/downloads/WeatherCat.zip

TWSheppard

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW2262
    • IONSTITT1
    • Stittsville Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2, MacBook, 1 additional Temp/Hum sensor
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 05:45:49 PM »
The addition of the MySQL support is something I will definitely check out as I currently use a combination of Hazel and Perl to inject data in the database now.

However, I was disappointed to see that I lost 18 minutes of data during the upgrade due to the time it took to walk through the old data files and because WC does not read from the Davis data logger unless the outage is greater than 30 minutes, I believe. I use a 1 minute sample. PLEASE read from the data logger on any outage of any duration to ensure no data is missed. Although I'm much happier with WC compared to the Windows-based Virtual Weather Station, that software always read from the logger and never missed data.

To me, the main purpose of WC is to gather and display data, but it needs to ensure as its highest priority that it never loses data, particularly when the data is just waiting to be gathered.

TWSheppard

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW2262
    • IONSTITT1
    • Stittsville Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2, MacBook, 1 additional Temp/Hum sensor
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 08:54:39 PM »
I activated the SQL logging but had some difficulties. Apparently, an empty password is not allowed. Since I'm only running the db on a LAN, I don't worry about security that much. Easy workaround, just created a new user and assigned it a password.

While doing the initial import, all other data logging stops so my web site stops updating and my existing MySQL db stops updating. According to the manual, no data will be lost during this time. I hope so. You should be able to populate the history at the same time live logging is happening. Why the limitation?

As it is, the import is only proceeding at 200 samples/minute so for 8 years of 1-minute samples I'm forecasting it to take 15 days(!) to import. There seems to be a bottleneck somewhere. When I initially populated my SQL database using Perl, it only took a few hours.

Needless to say, I decided to stop the import. However, the app was totally non-responsive for anything. Clicking the Stop button did nothing. I tried multiple times. Activity Monitor also said the app was non-responsive so I couldn't even gracefully stop the import or quit. I had to Force Quit the app. I won't be reenabling the import again until this is fixed.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 10:45:05 PM »
I activated the SQL logging but had some difficulties. Apparently, an empty password is not allowed. Since I'm only running the db on a LAN, I don't worry about security that much. Easy workaround, just created a new user and assigned it a password.

While doing the initial import, all other data logging stops so my web site stops updating and my existing MySQL db stops updating. According to the manual, no data will be lost during this time. I hope so. You should be able to populate the history at the same time live logging is happening. Why the limitation?

As it is, the import is only proceeding at 200 samples/minute so for 8 years of 1-minute samples I'm forecasting it to take 15 days(!) to import. There seems to be a bottleneck somewhere. When I initially populated my SQL database using Perl, it only took a few hours.

Needless to say, I decided to stop the import. However, the app was totally non-responsive for anything. Clicking the Stop button did nothing. I tried multiple times. Activity Monitor also said the app was non-responsive so I couldn't even gracefully stop the import or quit. I had to Force Quit the app. I won't be reenabling the import again until this is fixed.

Hmm, sorry about that - this was tested by quite a few people in development and the issues you are reporting weren't seen.

Can you raise it as a bug in the bugs forum please ( http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?board=7.0 )
Post as much information as possible, in particular details of your setup and what WeatherCat was doing - ideally a copy of the contents of WeatherCat's log window (switch on 'Copy Log Entries To Console Log' in WeatherCat's Advanced pane of its preferences to get a copy of everything - it'll all be in the Console Log (Applications->Utilities->Console.app).

In addition,  a sample from Activity Monitor (highlight WeatherCat then hit the 'Sample Process button' whilst it's unresponsive) will be very helpful.

Many thanks.

Will Woodgate

• Calm
    • IDEVONPL7
    • PL4 Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless, MacBook Air, Mountain Lion 10.8
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 04:39:44 PM »
Superb update. Good timing too, as I'm just getting back into using WeatherCat more and relaunching my website. I've got WOW working now. No problems to report.

-Will.

alledal

• Calm
    • EW0757
    • ISOUTHAU82
  • Station Details: WH3080
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 07:12:58 AM »
Hi,

I updated to 1.2.0 from 1.1.5 yesterday.

Today it's raining quite a bit in South Australia, and the LCD is showing rain, however Weathercat is showing no rain at all today :(

It was working before the upgrade.

Has anything changed for the 3080?

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 04:47:06 PM »
Hi alledal,
The only change on the 3080 was for solar radiation when downloading data out of the logger (see http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Release_Notes for the full release notes).

Go to the Tools menu and select the Data Viewer/Editor - check the rain value there. The value should be increasing as it rains. If it isn't it  sounds like your station isn't sending the rain through. In this case, quit WeatherCat, unplug the station from the USB cable, plug it back in then run WeatherCat again. If the rain still isn't increasing in WeatherCat, give the console a power down reset and try it again.

toadstone

• Gentle Breeze
    • Big Low Weather, Rainow.
  • Station Details: Station: None Intel i5 Hackintosh 16gb RAM Yosemite
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 10:01:14 AM »
Installed it last night. Fabulous update. Got the SQL working no problem. Then launched the Met Office WOW, again no issues uploaded first time OK.  Well done to all, I just love it when everything comes together.

BTW I use C-Panel for my server and if anyone has problems uploading SQL, then remember the MySQL Remote facility and the added host.  It is mentioned in the WeatherCat Release Notes but easily overlooked.  To check what the URL should be look at the Log file, if you failed in logging on, you will see a name related to your Broadband supplier usually having the name host somewhere and ending in the supplier's name eg bt/virgin etc.
In my case it was       host+numbers+range of numbers.btcentralplus.com

Peter

vicciconway@mac.com

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 purchased 2004
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 06:14:53 PM »
Hi, since downloading, I am unable to find the SI driver.  I have downloaded directly from the SI website and it doesn't find it.  Any suggestions?