Author Topic: Davis Vantage Vue question  (Read 5348 times)

retired

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Imac 2.4 Ghz intel core 2 duo with 4 GB;OS X v 10.9 Maverick; La Crosse ws 2316
Davis Vantage Vue question
« on: July 24, 2013, 05:08:50 PM »
Thinking of getting the Davis Vantage Vue. Do I need to get the weather link usb doodle also. Also thinking Ambient Weather ws 2080 or ws 2090 instead. My 5 year old la crosse ws2316 is about to quit.
Thanks for any input

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
Re: Davis Vantage Vue question
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 06:08:12 PM »
Hi retired
 Yes you need to purchase USB data logger for MAC to use either the Vantage Vue or the Vantage Pro
with WeatherCat I.m also getting ready to change to Vantage Pro check out out the prices at:http://www.scientificsales.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=6152&e=Y for great prices on Davis products some of the lowest on the web

cheers
 [cheers1]

jf-i2r

• Strong Breeze
  • Station Details: vantage pro2 wireless with solar sensor ; weatherlink-ip ;mac mini 1,6ghz 2go ram El Capitan
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 07:17:25 PM »
hi

if it's possible try to get the weatherlink ip data logger  more expensive but no problem whith this datalogger  [tup]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Think a bit about install location. (Re: Davis Vantage Vue question)
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 09:41:12 PM »
Dear Retired and WeatherCat fans,

Thinking of getting the Davis Vantage Vue. Do I need to get the weather link usb doodle also. Also thinking Ambient Weather ws 2080 or ws 2090 instead.

Sorry if the suggestion is completely beyond your budget, but I always urge people to think a bit about whether or not they would be substantially happier with a Davis Vantage Pro-2.

The problem with the Vantage View (and the ws series) is that all the instruments have to be in one place.  That's a problem because the anemometer should be placed as high as you can manage while it is really best to have the rain gauge where you can easily clean the junk out.  I know it is substantially more expensive but you might be doing a lot of cursing about how stingy you were every time you have get your station down for cleaning.

Also, do shop around.  The prices on these stations varies wildly.  You might be able to buy a VP-2 for not that much more than you had expected to spend on for the Vue.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Graydon

• Calm
    • EW3406
    • IONTARIO591
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue & Envoy, IP Logger, MacMini server
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 10:07:27 PM »
I recently bought a Vantage Vue, and have been quite happy with it. However, until it arrived, I didn't know it would just 'plug n play' into my Mac so I could start recording data. So I bought an Envoy, which I again thought was plug n play, and found out the wire in the photo of the units, doesn't come with it. So I bought the Weatherlink IP. Those last two purchase were more than what I originally paid for the Vue, console & ISS!
I can return the Envoy, but I prefer it to the Console. I have the console as a '2nd screen' upstairs, and have the Envoy running 7/24 downstairs connected to my router and Mac mini running WeatherCat.
And, what I just found out, like the console, you need to adjust the settings in the Envoy so it works properly. i.e. lat/long, elevation, etc etc...Now that is a pain in the *** to so on a Mac, since the WeatherLink IP and Envoy DO NOT support Macs. I ended up running a trial version of VMWare Fusion to install WeatherLink for PC on my Mac, made the adjustments, now all works well.

I really strongly suggest the use of the IP version of the Weatherlink, since it is plug n play, and if used on a console, should be easier to setup.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 02:57:40 PM »
You can use an Envoy on the Mac without running Windows. You just ned to use the Mac version of WeatherLink software to set lat/long, elevation, time, barometric pressure, etc. Then never run WeatherLink again.  We also have several folks here using the WLIP without problems.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
IP logger vulnerable "LAN voodoo" (Re: Davis Vantage Vue question)
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 10:13:23 PM »
Dear Graydon and WeatherCat fans,

So sorry that you didn't get the complete explanation of how to get your Vantage Vue connected.  It isn't as obvious as it could be because of the way Davis tries to peddle their software.

Still,  . . . . . 

I really strongly suggest the use of the IP version of the Weatherlink, since it is plug n play, and if used on a console, should be easier to setup.

Actually the USB logger is very robust and dependable.  It is also significantly less expensive.  So if you can keep your data-logger next to your computer, there is no reason to make your life any more complicated.

The IP logger isn't 100% trouble free either.  Every now and then people have problems like WeatherCat user Blick had:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=887.msg7868#msg7868

So if you don't have a specific reason to require the IP logger, it might not be worth the extra money.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

SeanA

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW3381
    • INLANARK2
    • northlanarkshireweather.co.uk
  • Station Details: Davis Instruments Vantage VUE /MAC MINI/WeatherCat
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 11:42:11 PM »
Hi retired,

Had a similar station to the WS-2080 (Watson) same external sensor set up for two very troubled years. Had to replace almost all the sensors/transmitter etc. Got very fed up and jumped to a Davis vantage vue? it?s like night and day [bounce].
Complete Davis convert now.
Hope that helps your decision process..

Cheers

idunn

• Strong Breeze
  • name: idunn
    • icantono2
    • Magpie Hill
  • Station Details: WS1080, iMac 10.9.5, Canon Powershot A510 zoomed with gphoto2, located at 950m in Gross Switzerland, Webcam view SE to Alps on magpie-hill.com on WeatherCloud (MagpieHill) and Wunderground (ID icantono2)
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 03:26:39 PM »
Hello All,
Wondering about Davis Vantage.  Looked at Amazon.com and found this combination. Does this below include all that is needed to link to Weathercat?
Davis Instruments WeatherLink USB Software $129.50
Davis Instruments 6250 Vantage Vue Wireless Weather Station $295.00, Costs about $500 in German Amazon.
Davis Instruments Mounting Pole Kit $35.49
At the moment I am quite happy with my new $100 WS1080 but will see how long it lasts.
Thanks.  Irving

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Basically the package. (Re: Davis Vantage Vue question)
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 12:26:28 AM »
Dear Irving and WeatherCat design station consultants, . . . .

Wondering about Davis Vantage.  Looked at Amazon.com and found this combination. Does this below include all that is needed to link to Weathercat?
Davis Instruments WeatherLink USB Software $129.50
Davis Instruments 6250 Vantage Vue Wireless Weather Station $295.00, Costs about $500 in German Amazon.
Davis Instruments Mounting Pole Kit $35.49

As long as you get the Mac version of the WeatherLink USB package that would be everything you need.  Honestly the WeatherLink software is almost useless, but there are rare occasions when you need to to make adjustments to your station.

The one other thing to consider is if you want to settle on a Vantage Vue or if you would prefer a Vantage Pro-2.  The problem with the Vue is that you have all the instruments on one housing.  If you want decent wind data, that requires you to put the whole station up a fairly tall pole.  While the Vantage Pro-2 is significantly more expensive, separating the anemometer from the ISS allows for much more flexible installation options.

Just something to think about . . . . .

Cheers, Edouard

P.S. You should explore what sorts of discounts you can get on Davis stations.  It takes some digging, but Davis seems to be willing to allow their dealers to discount some more.  It may be a response to the flood of inexpensive stations these days.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 12:53:42 AM »
Hopefully, there are some dealers in Europe. The company I bought from (in the States) does not ship Internationally. [banghead]

I would question the price of Davis "Mounting Kit", the basic hardware already includes a "U" bolt that fastens the unit to any pole of 2.54 to 4.45 cm diameter. I'd suggest a solid, full length pole (~2.5m/~7 to 8 ft above the ground) instead of the two piece one they are offering.

Also, if you go with the Vue, you'll need to find a spot that will be as fas away from buildings and trees or shrubs as possible. That is mainly to allow the wind to be as free of obstructions as possible. Ideally, the anemometer should be 10m above the ground, that will be difficult, but not impossible with the Vue. :(
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 01:34:21 PM »
Hi idunn

Beware of buying from Amazon. Davis do not supply new stations to Amazon either in the States or in Europe. The package you were looking at may be a unused but older station rather than a newer station with up to date firmware. I had this problem with my vantage vue, which persistently threw up false low battery alarms as it was old stock sold through Amazon.co.uk

Also, the wireless frequency requirements for Switzerland will be different to the USA, so you may run into frequency interference problems if you tried to use it, plus not EU certified.

A good place to try for prices via the internet in the UK is via John at http:// www.weatherstations.co.uk/ very good company, lots of information in the site, and lots of free advice !

JC

[EDIT] Removed space in URL
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 03:41:51 PM by Steve »

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 02:09:39 PM »
Jace:

The link in your post is broken, but this one works and appears to be the site to which you referred. http://www.weatherstations.co.uk
Blick